Thread: How to take photos of Fireflies at night?

Default How to take photos of Fireflies at night?

I will be going to Kota Tinggi in Malaysia next week and am told that we will be able to see Fireflies at night during a boat trip. Any advise on the best way to capture the fireflies on photo? What would be a better lens to bring along - the Canon 24-70, 2.8 or the Sigma 18-35mm, 1.8? Any advise on setting the right exposure, ISO, shutter speed, etc. would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

If I am not wrong, you will b on a boat throughout the firefly tour n it will b quite dark. My advise is just enjoy or take a video. If u have chance to make landfall, then a tripod with wide angle for a svenery shot or a macro for a closr up will b better. You may want to check with the organiser on the landfall part. Just my $0.02. Hope it helps

Default Re: How to take photos of Fireflies at night?

This has been asked before.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ture+fireflies

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ture+fireflies

In a nutshell: You need a tripod, long exposure. Otherwise, you will need high ISO and then only will see a few fireflies, and they will just look like random white pixels on a noisy background night shot.

From a moving boat? Don't bother. Honestly.
    Alpha

Bring your entire flash kit and strobes. ;-)

You're not going to catch anything than some bright spots or light streaks.

Spend your time savouring it moment than stressing yourself out and missing the sight.
    Last edited by qystan; 4th September 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Be careful, next thing you know, the Legion of Righteous Newbies will come and call you arrogant for telling people to Google :-D
    Alpha

Thanks everyone, for your help... Will just go and enjoy the boat ride I guess! Hahaha

My family went on the firefly boat trip @ Kota Tinggi last Dec. It was a little bit disappointing. Don't bother about photography.

Your dream will come true one day.