Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advise on 70-200 lens

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post

How about the quality issues with respect to sigma? Peeling, inability to focus correctly except for sharp copy, and after changing cameras?

"They are cheap and mass-manufactured and failed often". Soon forgotten. How many sigma lenses will we remember in years to come?
    I've used several Sigma lenses and they still focus correctly. Peeling? Sure, which is why Sigma stopped using that layer a few years ago. Sigma is innovating right now with lenses and features Nikon does not have.

You think Nikon lenses have no issues? Try reading a bit more. ;-)

Also, one thing to note... it's not LENSES I would want to be remembered for, but rather images, and Sigma lenses can give you images as great as Nikon lenses at a cheaper price, and also have lenses you will not find with Nikon. If all you care about is how memorable a lens is, then you're more of a gearhead than a photographer. Gearheads will ask "what lens/camera/setting" while photographers will simply admire the image artistry.
    Alpha

Default Re: Seeking advise on 70-200 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Also, one thing to note... it's not LENSES I would want to be remembered for, but rather images, and Sigma lenses can give you images as great as Nikon lenses at a cheaper price, and also have lenses you will not find with Nikon. If all you care about is how memorable a lens is, then you're more of a gearhead than a photographer. Gearheads will ask "what lens/camera/setting" while photographers will simply admire the image artistry.
    Wow, wait a minute. To the question ""They are cheap and mass-manufactured and failed often". Soon forgotten. How many sigma lenses will we remember in years to come?" came "it's not LENSES I would want to be remembered for". I suppose we should get together and have tea (or coffee), on me, and you can show me your portfolio, so I can remember you.

Now "If all you care about is how memorable a lens is, then you're more of a gearhead than a photographer. Gearheads will ask "what lens/camera/setting" while photographers will simply admire the image artistry."

That is too much! TS asked about Sigma vs Nikon 70-200, and I expressed an opinion that the 70-200 Sigma will soon be forgotten, and that I believe the lens is flawed, as I forgot how many posts on Sigma lenses not able to focus after changing bodies I have read.

Then YOU want to be remembered for your images and I AM A GEARHEAD. You are entitled to your opinion but please do not express an opinion on me, just stay on track with the topic in discussions!

Please do not get personal.
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 5th September 2013 at 08:27 PM.

How about the quality issues with respect to sigma? Peeling, inability to focus correctly except for sharp copy, and after changing cameras?

"They are cheap and mass-manufactured and failed often". Soon forgotten. How many sigma lenses will we remem. ber in years to come?
    I believe most of the ppl will rem the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 which i dont think it will peel...

Anyway thanks for ur reply, and i think u misunderstood Rashkae reply....

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post

I believe most of the ppl will rem the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 which i dont think it will peel...

It is called etiquette, my friend. And I accept your opinion, and I'm sure you understand my expression of opinion as well. There's no need to call names and get personal.

It is called etiquette, my friend. And I accept your opinion, and I'm sure you understand my expression of opinion as well. There's no need to call names and get personal.
    I wasn't name calling nor getting personal. Seems you're over-sensitive and very thin-skinned.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post

Yup he did. Some people will anyhow try to take offense at anything. How to survive in life like that?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post

I wasn't name calling nor getting personal. Seems you're over-sensitive and very thin-skinned.
    Whatever will be will be. Seems it is difficult for u to stay on track without calling names. You continue to brand me "over-sensitive and very thin-skinned" and up the ante "how to survive like that"! Tell the merit of Sigma lens for goodness sake. Show your photography skill. Let the photography shine and crude words banished.

I'll state my opinion of Sigma lenses: used to be cheap and poorly made with lots of peeling and reported issues relating to matching ability to focus with camera bodies. Appeared to have made better lenses in the last 2-3 years but I had by then decided not to venture that way so I can't tell.

Just do a search on famous sigma lenses and see common phrases like tested few pieces found one that nailed the focus, gone to sigma to calibrate new lens, superb results after that.

I was tempted by the 18-35 sigma during film days but now glad I resisted and spent on the Nikon 20-35 instead, serving even today after about 20 years. My sigma 10-20 of much recent vintage have problem with focusing when switching cameras. Big regrets on my part. calibration is 150 each time.

Sigma has recently issued a Dongle to allow update of firmware to address the host of issues relating to the lenses. If TS wants to save money to buy the Sigma and thinks the lenses are on par or superior to Nikon he is welcome to do so. But for goodness sake get one from the Dongle supported Art line to prevent future headaches.
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 6th September 2013 at 07:03 AM.

For me, I like the build of the 70-200VR.

I'd go for the 70-200VR edition 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lenslust View Post
    For me, I like the build of the 70-200VR.

I'd go for the 70-200VR edition 1.
    Hi Thanks for your reply, I believe the nikon is better build also.

And I guess it's time to close this thread and start thinking which to get.

And at the sametime to stop something start from nothing. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12