Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Single lens reflex camera reccomendations and advice?

  1. #1

    Smile Single lens reflex camera reccomendations and advice?

    Hiyall,
    I intend to get a DSLR camera. Here are my questions:
    1) What is the initial cost?
    2) What do i have to look out for? lens type? shutter speed capability? anything else???
    3) How do i take care of it since its gonna be expensive?
    4) How do i use this camera in cold weather? IF so, how do i protect it from effects of condensation. What about shooting at Macritchie where it is humid. will there be high chance of fungus growth?
    5) Lens compatibilty?
    6) what brands can consider?
    7) Can i use DSLR for underwater photography?
    8) Should i start off with elementary equipments first? or should i set a budget and buy what i can with the budget? This is important becos i notice a lot of second hand items up for sales. esp. when hobbyist have progressed and needed further upgrades.
    If i am buying a second hand dslr, how would i know if its lens alignment and parts are working and in good condition? AKA, it has not been dropped before?

    I need expert guidance and advance on this as i am new to DSLR. I want to be clear of what i am getting into. Sorry for bombing so mnay questions at a go. I figured the best way to learn is to ask. Thks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenHaonan
    Hiyall,
    I intend to get a DSLR camera. Here are my questions:
    1) What is the initial cost?
    2) What do i have to look out for? lens type? shutter speed capability? anything else???
    3) How do i take care of it since its gonna be expensive?
    4) How do i use this camera in cold weather? IF so, how do i protect it from effects of condensation. What about shooting at Macritchie where it is humid. will there be high chance of fungus growth?
    5) Lens compatibilty?
    6) what brands can consider?
    7) Can i use DSLR for underwater photography?
    8) Should i start off with elementary equipments first? or should i set a budget and buy what i can with the budget? This is important becos i notice a lot of second hand items up for sales. esp. when hobbyist have progressed and needed further upgrades.
    If i am buying a second hand dslr, how would i know if its lens alignment and parts are working and in good condition? AKA, it has not been dropped before?

    I need expert guidance and advance on this as i am new to DSLR. I want to be clear of what i am getting into. Sorry for bombing so mnay questions at a go. I figured the best way to learn is to ask. Thks in advance.
    wow... dun even know where should i start..
    i try to suggest what i know..

    1 - initial cost? ~$1.3k for a basic body (either with or without a kit lens)
    2 - can't answer u here, depends on what u need and what kind of photos u take.
    3 - taking care of eqs is quite straight to e point, try doing a goggle or soemthing, too long to type. just take care of it you would something fragile
    4 - depending on how cold u are talking abt, most cams i know can still take pics in cold weather, just make sure water and condensation does not form inside. as for fungus growth, fungus take time to grow, so as long as after ur shoot u check that ur eqs is fine and dry and keep it properly, nothing much should happen.
    5 - the lens of the same brand would work with e cam of the same brand, of cse there are also a number of 3rd party lens... its dependable on the mount of ur cam.
    6 - depends on your budget, nikon has a good entry lvl dslr, so does canon and the other brands. go to a shop and test them yourself to look at what u like. when considering what brand of cam, do consider their range of assessories and lenses also.
    7 - i dun think why not... but i dunno how to scuba dive and i nvr tried it b4... maybe some underwater photog might ans this for u.
    8 - u should set a budget.... unless u really have too much excess $$ to spend... as for 2nd hand eqs, use your eyes and check for cracks, etc etc, lens wise u need to test it out etc etc. (try searching e forums, how to check 2nd eqs i'm abt 90% sure have been asked and answered b4.)

    phew... hope it helps a little..

  3. #3
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    around 1.5k for a nikon body, maybe lesser for a used 300D body.

    i cant realli help u on most of the qns as u are still neutral, but if u are going for nikon, then there are some lens terms u should know like

    F mount, AF lenses, AFS lenses, VR (vibration reduction) fuctions, and etc etc...

    how u going to take care? simple.. gaffer up the camera, and if not in use, store it in a dry cabinet and set humidity level to 45-55%. and DO NOT change lens in dusty or dirty areas, keep away from shooting direct sunlight.

    condensation, if u are moving from a cold place to a warmer place, before moving out, u place ur cam inside a ziploc bag and store it in ur bag, and after u have left the place, allow the cam to slowy get back to the initial temperature.

    Macritichie reservior... no la.. dun worry, singapore is still fine, shoot as per normal...

    Lens compatiblity, from Original lenses to third party lenses like Sigma, Tokina and Tamron, in order if ur preference. however if u have the moolah or otherwise $, u should go for original lenses.

    Brands u can consider, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, or Fuji / Kodak.

    for beginners u haf the 300D / 350D from Canon to start with, while u haf the D70, D70s,D100,D50 from Nikon to start with. Not sure about minolta, coz they only haf D7D, lol.. Fuji has S1Pro to start off, followed by S2 and S3pro.

    Kodak is a full frame Digicamera, Kodak 14DCn or DCc, (n for Nikon mount) (c for Canon mount) lenses.

    u can use DSLR in underwater. like the D1x for famous as the underwater cam. the waterproofed casing for DSLRs is extremely expensive and u maybe tied down to the limited of lenses that can be used, and also the lightings, as u may need to use strobes for subsituted lighting..

    Recommendation for u from me, is that u start off with a entry level body, and learn the functions of the camera, and invest more in lenses, learn the basics and photography and slowly move up.

    Lens should be ur no1 priority, followed by accessories and then the final bodies.

    investing into a system is a rrealli heavy commitment. so if u wan maximum compatibility with lenses and accessories, its either Canon or Nikon systems.

    cos once u are in either one of them, u can nv change unless u are prepared to be determined to change systems and lose some $ for depreciation.

    there are pros and cons in each systems, and its up to u to decide whether on what u wan to acheive using these systems.

    so far in terms of percentage users in singapore using the both systems are on par. news mentioned that now there are more Nikon users because of the D70.

    for Body, i strongly urge pple to get a new one, esp entry levels, cos pple play the camera until going to die liao, den sell away, unlike pro-cams, u can still buy 2nd hand and change the specific parts at a premium.

    So if u are intending of joining either sides (Canon or Nikon). Buy a new body and maybe in the later years, u may consider a upgrade of lenses followed by bodies.

    should u want come over to Nikon, u may approach me, i may able to help u out in ur purchases in Nikon items. =]

    hope these helps u..

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines & Sydney
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenHaonan
    Hiyall,
    I intend to get a DSLR camera. Here are my questions:
    1) What is the initial cost?
    2) What do i have to look out for? lens type? shutter speed capability? anything else???
    3) How do i take care of it since its gonna be expensive?
    4) How do i use this camera in cold weather? IF so, how do i protect it from effects of condensation. What about shooting at Macritchie where it is humid. will there be high chance of fungus growth?
    5) Lens compatibilty?
    6) what brands can consider?
    7) Can i use DSLR for underwater photography?
    8) Should i start off with elementary equipments first? or should i set a budget and buy what i can with the budget? This is important becos i notice a lot of second hand items up for sales. esp. when hobbyist have progressed and needed further upgrades.
    If i am buying a second hand dslr, how would i know if its lens alignment and parts are working and in good condition? AKA, it has not been dropped before?

    I need expert guidance and advance on this as i am new to DSLR. I want to be clear of what i am getting into. Sorry for bombing so mnay questions at a go. I figured the best way to learn is to ask. Thks in advance.
    Here are my answer to some of the qns:
    1) as mentioned at least S$1300 for the body (entry level) and if you want better lens, initial cost will higher...
    2) This qns, you have to answer it yourself, what are your requirements for the camera? Also what type of pictures you take mostly will decide the type of lens you purchase.

    5) Lens compatibility, depends, most "original" lens should be compatible (unless very old lens). As for 3rd party lens, generally is ok, but better to test out b4 purchase.
    6) Brands will depends on you. Some people will live and die with a particular brand , so there is point in asking it here. Generally most people uses either Canon or Nikon, but others brands are available too like Minolta, olympus etc (the other day i attended a wedding in my church and the camera man was using Fuji with Nikon lens)

    8) this will depend a lot on your budget and also your knowledge of the type of photos you take. E.g if money is not a problem, and you take mostly landscapes, you might staight away buy a good WA lens. But most of here will suggest if you do not know what you want now, then get the kit lens that normally come with the DSLR and try out first. When you know what you want then invest further.

    cheers-

  5. #5

    Default thks but i've got further queries

    Okay guys, thks for reply.
    I think i will start with the lens kit first before i zoom in on specfic equipment upgrades as i move on.
    Like all photographers/ hobbyists, i am interested in a range of shootings. I am keen to experiment macro photography. Underwater photography. as well as wide angle photography of tourists attractions etc...

    The brands that have been recommended so far are the Canon and the Nikon, of which i have both seen and held before. The new Canon 350 seems light and small, thus easy to hold. As for the nikon, it feels better becos when i held it, the salesman had the telephoto lens atached. looks stylish to me.

    I have also encountered the Olympus, cannot remeber the model but the $1899++ i think... feels heavy and i like that alot. but a fren advised me not to use that cos it will be tiring for continous photgraphy.. IS that true?

    Is it better to have a heavier body? and is it important to get a better grip?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenHaonan
    Okay guys, thks for reply.
    I think i will start with the lens kit first before i zoom in on specfic equipment upgrades as i move on.
    Like all photographers/ hobbyists, i am interested in a range of shootings. I am keen to experiment macro photography. Underwater photography. as well as wide angle photography of tourists attractions etc...

    The brands that have been recommended so far are the Canon and the Nikon, of which i have both seen and held before. The new Canon 350 seems light and small, thus easy to hold. As for the nikon, it feels better becos when i held it, the salesman had the telephoto lens atached. looks stylish to me.

    I have also encountered the Olympus, cannot remeber the model but the $1899++ i think... feels heavy and i like that alot. but a fren advised me not to use that cos it will be tiring for continous photgraphy.. IS that true?

    Is it better to have a heavier body? and is it important to get a better grip?

    u must be refering to the oly E-1 ... there's also the e-300 .. if u wann jump on the 4/3 bandwagon .. i've tried the e300 .. its a good cam .. but the original lenses are expensive and few 3rd party lenses...

    canon has the 300d or 350d ... nikon has the d50, d70, d70s olympus has the e300 ... konika minolta has the d7d ... fugi has its S1pro, S2pro, S3pro(expensive!) ... so theres alot to choose from ...

    the d50 might be an option ... if u don't mind the single dial ... look stylish? .. style trends change leh ... don't base decisions on style ... play around with the cam then decide which souits u best ...

    cam weight ... heavier body balances heavier lens better ... and less likely to experience camera shake ... but as long as u shoot at a reasonable shutter speed for the zoom length ... or got good cam-holding technique .. den probably dun need a very heavy cam ...

    get a better grip? ... i think u mean a battery/vertical grip? ... not important lah ... unless u need the extra weight to balance the cam .. and need the extra juice for events like a wedding shoot ... or want the extra shutter button so u dun need to turn your hands when shooting portrait format ... or if u just wanna look cool

  7. #7
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt
    cam weight ... heavier body balances heavier lens better ... and less likely to experience camera shake ... but as long as u shoot at a reasonable shutter speed for the zoom length ... or got good cam-holding technique .. den probably dun need a very heavy cam ...
    i guess u need to shoot more....

    weight is important. esp when u are shooting hand-held, if the weight is light, its obvious u can hold longer and shoot more hand-held. but if u are doing continous shooting, the weight can kill you.

    heavier lens more likely to experience handshake is because theres more weight being put on the stress on ur arms, less weight, u will feel more relaxed to shoot.

    i guess, its not about looking cool or not. its about whether u need it or not. if u think having a big and heavy camera looks cool, den i think its time to grow up. what i think is that, u need a camera to suit ur needs. learn the basics and move on, move till u think u are good enough to carry on with a upgrade.

    no matter ur choice or upgrades, there will still be help somewhere. BUT always remember, it doesnt matter what camera u hold, but what matter is the pictures u can produce with it, and in the end if the pictures dun turn out to be good, keep practicing.

    and i for one too believe that a good camera will make a good photographer. camera is a dead object, photograher is a living thing. so its u who will make the difference. therefore, go one and choose a system you like and be dedicated to it. =]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •