Thread: How To Become A Wedding Photographer by Fstoppers

Default How To Become A Wedding Photographer by Fstoppers

Come one and all...join join!!... just kidding..lol

http://youtu.be/YmqvNDegUv8

Default Re: How To Become A Wedding Photographer by Fstoppers

I am sure it is a good "reference" guide to help people who consider into wedding photography.

Like any course, it is to empowering the knowledge of one who learn.

It doesn't make one an instant photographer.

Regards,

Hart

Blog Entries

Join? it is just a set of DVDs with tips for wedding business in USA.

A lot of the info in there are specific to weddings in the USA. You will find weddings in Singapore to be very very different. So the way you shoot weddings in SG have to be very different also.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Join? it is just a set of DVDs with tips for wedding business in USA.

A lot of the info in there are specific to weddings in the USA. You will find weddings in Singapore to be very very different. So the way you shoot weddings in SG have to be very different also.
    Don't forget the recent saga of one of our members who shot weddings in USA came back to Singapore and had a difficult time and that long thread of grievance from the client.

Also remember, these seminars and dvds often paints a wonderful glorious picture of a wedding photographer traveling the world, owning the latest toys, taking the awards and rolling in the piles of money. It is not realistic in the western world, it is even more so here in Singapore. It may happen, but it is going to be rare, and unapologetically realistic.

End of the day, its more profitable to sell cameras and seminars to photographer wannabes, than for photographers to sell photography itself. The giant camera makers are having a huge long term marketing campaigne of turning people in enthusiastic photographers and getting them to buy camera gears, and smart people are riding on its sides too, teaching people how to photographers. It might be more than what the market can bare, often so. We have to recognise that.
    Last edited by JasonB; 30th August 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Don't forget the recent saga of one of our members who shot weddings in USA came back to Singapore and had a difficult time and that long thread of grievance from the client.

Also remember, these seminars and dvds often paints a wonderful glorious picture of a wedding photographer traveling the world, owning the latest toys, taking the awards and rolling in the piles of money. It is not realistic in the western world, it is even more so here in Singapore. It may happen, but it is going to be rare, and unapologetically realistic.

End of the day, its more profitable to sell cameras and seminars to photographer wannabes, than for photographers to sell photography itself. The giant camera makers are having a huge long term marketing campaigne of turning people in enthusiastic photographers and getting them to buy camera gears, and smart people are riding on its sides too, teaching people how to photographers. It might be more than what the market can bare, often so. We have to recognise that.
    I agree. But there is one big difference in the US, where art and importance of photography is more valued by the end consumers there than here. Which also means they can command a higher rate over there, but of course, you are will be dealing with a market that is more spread out geographically.

BTW, I actually watched this series of DVDs by F-stoppers thanks to a friend. A lot of the info are just repeated and stuff we already know. A few pointers here and there are not bad. But definitely not a series that will "show you everything about how to shoot a wedding and running the wedding business".

Talking about professional wedding photography trainers... a lady comes to mind...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th August 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Have to higher rate, becoz of higher taxes, and higher cost of living.

Singapore cost of living is so high despite lower tax. I just don't see how photog here charge the same way the photog in other country charge.

I am not saying that charging high is the way to go, but I am trying to say, charge enough so people who is considering this trade can at least make a living out of it.

Regards,

Hart
    Last edited by Agetan; 31st August 2013 at 07:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Have to higher rate, becoz of higher taxes, and higher cost of living.
    Actually, having lived in the States for 12 years, I find Singapore costs of living to be a lot higher. And I lived in one of the more expensive areas in USA too.

Actually, having lived in the States for 12 years, I find Singapore costs of living to be a lot higher. And I lived in one of the more expensive areas in USA too.
    I haven't lived in the US for that long, but I do agree that cost of living is lower in the US. Even metropolitan areas like New York City and Washington D.C aren't that bad.

Nonetheless, I found the double whammy of State tax and Federal tax highly irritating; tax is pretty high, even for a low wage worker like me back then.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I haven't lived in the US for that long, but I do agree that cost of living is lower in the US. Even metropolitan areas like New York City and Washington D.C aren't that bad.

Nonetheless, I found the double whammy of State tax and Federal tax highly irritating; tax is pretty high, even for a low wage worker like me back then.
    Tax management is an art in the USA. For my time there, my effective tax rate for BOTH Federal and State combined is around 13% only.

Tax management is an art in the USA. For my time there, my effective tax rate for BOTH Federal and State combined is around 13% only.
    Tax system in Singapore is very straight forward for personal tax and it is rather low.

Tax system in OZ and US is rather complicated, but if you get the right advise, you can legally lower your tax by various things that minimizes the tax.

One thing for sure is, in any country, paying tax isn't a bad thing. It shows that you actually "make" money so you have a profit that you pay a tax on it. In Singapore, if you are doing your tax right, this can be used as your leverage when you need to borrow money for, say property purchase or business loan for expansion.

If you want to build your business, make sure you pay any tax due, because, you can spend time on building your business and not worrying when they will come and get you.

One thing about tax is, the country provide you with certain comfort, it is just right to pay the tax, but pay only tax that you need to pay. Get a good accountant is very important...

Regards,

Hart

Ang.. Singapore tax is low ???

Income tax is lower than US that is for sure. Don't forget GST is also tax. Anyone do homework and calculate how much are you paying for GST.

Don't believe try for one month then you will be shocked.

Tax is just a form of expenses in doing business,
    cost of living also another form of expenses,

it is important to know what are the expenses and where the money go to.
    so business owners can know their business is in Red or in Black.

let's don't go into too details of what are the places tax higher or lower, ended up missing the big picture.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I guess its true if you compare the current state of expenses in Singapore.

All the more this is sad.

A damn lot of people are trying to teach people how to shoot pro genres of photography, but very seldom teaches the business of it.

Very often these teachers are not the real industry stake holders or had left that industry, their real business is selling books, workshops and seminars, or some stupid new products like some overpriced useless light modifiers.

A damn lot of people are trying to teach people how to shoot pro genres of photography, but very seldom teaches the business of it.

Very often these teachers are not the real industry stake holders or had left that industry, their real business is selling books, workshops and seminars, or some stupid new products like some overpriced useless light modifiers.
    Even if there are people teaching the business side. How many find it as essential?

Majority of them think Photography is the ultimate. To me, it is just the products and how to get people to buy your product often differentiate if you have food on the table or not.

Nowadays, people are less willing to spend on quality photography, so without the right business skills, I can be very sure, you won't sustain a reasonable living out of this trade.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Even if there are people teaching the business side. How many find it as essential?

Majority of them think Photography is the ultimate. To me, it is just the products and how to get people to buy your product often differentiate if you have food on the table or not.

Nowadays, people are less willing to spend on quality photography, so without the right business skills, I can be very sure, you won't sustain a reasonable living out of this trade.

Regards,

Hart
    I can only agree.

But the right information has to reach the right ears. Most don't even have ears.

I can only agree.

But the right information has to reach the right ears. Most don't even have ears.
    People do have ears, two of them. Unfortunately, many choose to close them and pick only things that they want to hear and not what they should hear.

Hart