Thread: A personal encounter with a remarkable Korean mother (PIC)

Default A personal encounter with a remarkable Korean mother (PIC)

Please take a minute to read this, met them on 20 Aug 2013.

Korean mother and daughter rest along the dusty corridors of Noi Bai Airport, Hanoi - an unremarkable pair of travelers, an ordinary sight at an airport, a pair of nobodies in the world. The girl was crying. I took a second look, and then she was murmuring and muttering to herself, speaking not to her mother. Looking weary and beaten, sadness lining the creases in her face, the mother gently held the daughter close.

The girl grew more agitated. I gave her biscuits, but she threw them at her mother instead. She threw her shoes. Then she started slapping, kicking and ranting at the helpless, beleaguered woman. All throughout, the mother stoically suffered her daughterís abuse. She had seen it all before, and she wearily tried to soothe the daughter.

I soon learned that despite the girlís condition, the mother was taking taking her daughter out on a holiday. She wanted her daughter to see the world, and to be happy. Such is a motherís love.

I didn't manage to take a close up photograph of the mum, but I will never forget the weary and sad look on her face.

Default Re: A personal encounter with a remarkable Korean mother (PIC)

Fathers too... I have a very close friend who has an autistic son. Very tough on the couple. But as the son grows up, more and more only my friend is able to handle him (in the positive sense - force is never an option). His wife admitted to us that sometimes she is scared by her own son, and often at a loss how to deal with him. Fortunately, they also have two normal kids who are doing very well. Still it is very tough.
    Last edited by UncleFai; 28th August 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Fathers too... I have a very close friend who has an autistic son. Very tough on the couple. But as the son grows up, more and more only my friend is able to handle him (in the positive sense - force is never an option). His wife admitted to us that sometimes she is scared by his own son, and often at a loss how to deal with him. Fortunately, they also have two normal kids that are doing very well. Still it is very tough.
    Yes it is challenging at best. I know of a friend who has 5 kids and I think 1 is autistic while the other also has some learning disability. Indeed it takes great courage to bring up a kid, let alone one that is autistic.