Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop by Security

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    this appears to have been discussed before. anyway short answer, it is not copyright infringement to take a photograph of a sculpture. Eikin's answer is misleading.

and, taking a photograph of a painting is not the same as taking a photograph of a sculpture and is not an apt analogy.
    which part may i know?

vince123123
    Guests

Post 7 and 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    which part may i know?

Post 7 and 9.
    please elaborate.

i'm very concerned with the word 'misleading' you used.
    Last edited by eikin; 8th May 2005 at 04:07 PM.

I am wondering if I have a picture of a scene, which includes the photo art work as part of the scene, does it means I cannot sell it or claim it as my work? Hmmm... Maybe I will drop by there to shoot with everything I got, see what they want to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimlee
    Hi to all,

I was taking photograph at some artwork display at the esplanade main hall with my DSLR and the security came by and asked me why am i taking multiple shot of artwork.

They told me that only people with DSLR or "Big camera with tripod" taking photo has to sign some papers... and PNS camera no need... strange...?
    Heard about similiar stories of such incidents from my peers before. Esplanade's main hall and concert hall areas seem to be very sensitive to photographers. Out comes your big DSLR/SLR camera and minutes later you'll have security behind ur back...(try to act foreign the next time?? )

AFAIK, if you are to be shooting a concert (as official photographer) in the main concert hall, you'll have to turn your whole camera bag inside out for security check...(this includes taking out every article you have in your bag...batteries, flash, CF/SD cad, blower/etc incluvsive...)...this was what I was told yesterday..
    eat. drink. shoot

vince123123
    Guests

please elaborate.

i'm very concerned with the word 'misleading' you used.
    Well post 7, which was in response to Post 6:

The question in Post 6 was whether a photo of a sculpture can be used in a contest and whether there was a "breach of copyright".

You answered "depending on how you have taken the picture.". Dont think that the method of photography is a relevant factor in determining infringement, at least in the scenario described.

The second paragraph, which on further reading, appears to be talking about the "merits" of entering a photograph of a sculpture in a competition. However, it does not answer the original poster's question and might be misinterpreted as doing so.

In post 9, which was in response to Post 8,

The question was whether taking a photograph of a sculpture mean "i copy his original work".

Your answer was "it's not about copying ... more about how you interpret the artwork (the sculpture in this case) within it's environment as a photographer" Again, the manner of interpretation does not determine whether there was infringement.

Hope that helps.

Well post 7, which was in response to Post 6:

The question in Post 6 was whether a photo of a sculpture can be used in a contest and whether there was a "breach of copyright".

You answered "depending on how you have taken the picture.". Dont think that the method of photography is a relevant factor in determining infringement, at least in the scenario described.

The second paragraph, which on further reading, appears to be talking about the "merits" of entering a photograph of a sculpture in a competition. However, it does not answer the original poster's question and might be misinterpreted as doing so.
    in post #6 kimlee did not mention that the artwork was a sculpture, i took a painting as an example and pointed out there could be a possibility of copyright issues involved but i am not to advise as 'i am not sure of the law here'. it was only in post #8 did kimlee mention about the sculpture.

In post 9, which was in response to Post 8,

The question was whether taking a photograph of a sculpture mean "i copy his original work".

Your answer was "it's not about copying ... more about how you interpret the artwork (the sculpture in this case) within it's environment as a photographer" Again, the manner of interpretation does not determine whether there was infringement.

Hope that helps.
    kimlee is very concerned over copyright issues which i can't help much, so i am trying to explain how we can approach the photographing of the artwork as a photographer. i believe you cannot copy a sculpture by photographing it, that's why i say 'it's not about copying'

cheers.

vince123123
    Guests

well with this clarification I guess all is solved

in post #6 kimlee did not mention that the artwork was a sculpture, i took a painting as an example and pointed out there could be a possibility of copyright issues involved but i am not to advise as 'i am not sure of the law here'. it was only in post #8 did kimlee mention about the sculpture.

kimlee is very concerned over copyright issues which i can't help much, so i am trying to explain how we can approach the photographing of the artwork as a photographer. i believe you cannot copy a sculpture by photographing it, that's why i say 'it's not about copying'

cheers.

well with this clarification I guess all is solved
    yup

Question

so... anyone know what is the answer? I am quite concern with this issue, don't want to be caught for submitting other people's work...

copying or replication of artwork is a dimension within art itself, unlike software piracy, the artists who replicate a master's work cannot be looked upon as doing something illegal

the owner/ the master have the right to SUE "the artists who replicate a work". its consider piracy, not only software or movies!!

that's part of photographer's right... if u created a piece of work thru photography and sell the work (not the copy right), happens anyone saw it and "RECOPY/REPRODUCE" the same work, sell or not, it's still consider illegal....

so... anyone know what is the answer? I am quite concern with this issue, don't want to be caught for submitting other people's work...
    if u know how to defence yourself in a convincing way, no one can stop u....

vince123123
    Guests

well I've already said that taking a photograph of a sculpture is not copyright infringement. As to whether contest organisers accept phtogoraphs of sculptures, well that depends on them corrrect?

ok ... so ... can the security actually legally stop one from taking pics with a slr/dslr? ... or are they just stretching their 'powers' cos they feel bored or have their supervisors around?

Hi.

I'm sure the management should have some kind of SOP (I hope) on this but sadly, they (perhaps) choose not to be transparent with it thus we observe many inconsistent interpretations ... maybe you wanna write in and ask for an official reply? That is if they bother to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt
    ok ... so ... can the security actually legally stop one from taking pics with a slr/dslr? ... or are they just stretching their 'powers' cos they feel bored or have their supervisors around?
    nope. most of the building's security will stop anyone who carry tripod and slr/dslr camera from taking pictures internally. one reason is to prevent others from copying the design for the next building.

further more, its their job. not because their supervisors. they have the right to get police to chase or lock up anyone who goes again them!!

Quote Originally Posted by photo_kbc
    the owner/ the master have the right to SUE "the artists who replicate a work". its consider piracy, not only software or movies!!

that's part of photographer's right... if u created a piece of work thru photography and sell the work (not the copy right), happens anyone saw it and "RECOPY/REPRODUCE" the same work, sell or not, it's still consider illegal....
    hmmm ... 'the artists' i mention refers to the 'low paid artist(s)' who 'copy others work as a living' you mentioned, fundamentally their work is different from the work they copied from ...

unless i misread your post and the artist(s) you mentioned includes people who take photos of other people's work to sell, who i do not qualify as artists as they do not produce works of artistic value from their effort.

paiseh i have to OT here ...

that's definitely not the case as far as i know, there are so many 'copycat' buildings out there ... i believe the designer you referring to is the architect
    what type of "COPYCAT" buildings to u mean??? stair case in side the building, "exit" or "toliet" signs the same??? lift with numbers in it???

what type of "COPYCAT" buildings to u mean??? stair case in side the building, "exit" or "toliet" signs the same??? lift with numbers in it???
    hmm ... one master architect of our time Philip Johnson is known to borrow lots of architectural design methods and styles from other masters and mix them around. his works embodied more than 1% of other master architects' works. one example is the Millenia Walk, clearly borrowing the proportions and geometry of Louis Kahn's works.

add: the architect's designs has no copyright (which is why we do not show the client the full design before the comission but only rough ideas and sketches) the building is owned by the client, but the client do not own the designs.
    Last edited by eikin; 8th May 2005 at 07:25 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

just stand outside the building if you want to take. They can't take action on anyone outside their premises.

nope. most of the building's security will stop anyone who carry tripod and slr/dslr camera from taking pictures internally. one reason is to prevent others from copying the design for the next building.

further more, its their job. not because their supervisors. they have the right to get police to chase or lock up anyone who goes again them!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast