Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Advice on Night Photography :)

  1. #1

    Default Advice on Night Photography :)

    Hi all,

    Need some advice Been trying to get some good photos at night of landscapes and architectural buildings. I try not to use flash if possible as I do not know how to use it efficiently and get harsh lighting. Of course, using long exposure with a tripod would be the best bet but I was hoping I can skip on the tripod if possible.

    The best result I have was hand holding the cam at f 3.5 in aperture priority mode at 18mm. ISO was set at 400.



    Is the above acceptable as the cars seemed a little soft or is it camera shake? Might be a little small though as I rezised it to keep within size limits. Also when I review the pic at 100%, it seemed kinda grainy as well especially the skies. It was worse when I tried to zoom in to perharps 50mm.

    I tried manual mode, hand-held at 1/60s, aperture at f 4.5 and at around 50mm with ISO set at 400. All I get were black pictures hehehe

    I actually tried pumping up the ISO as well but did not help significantly.

    Thanks for any comments and advices in advance~

  2. #2

    Default

    The use of a tripod is a must in night scene photography.

    Bumping up ISO causes more noise.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    909

    Default

    and a long shuttle speed if necessary..

  4. #4

    Default

    woah thanks for the prompt reponse guyz haiz I knew tripod and long exposure were going to be the answer anyway just that I am lazy to lug ard a tripod when I travel

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyleong
    and a long shuttle speed if necessary..
    mate, any chance I can pick up a tip or 2 from ya sometime~

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Not sure if you interested by PSS has a night photography course

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Not sure if you interested by PSS has a night photography course
    sounds good ;o)

  8. #8

    Default

    I was wondering if getting a prime lens maybe a 24mm or 50mm would help here as they work better in low-light situations

    Any comments?

  9. #9

    Default

    Nah, the 50mm/24mm I guess you're referring to the f1.4/f1.8 versions? Not really, bottom line is you need a tripod.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    you mentioned you want to go into landscape and architecture photography under night lighting situation? TRIPOD IS A MUST.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks all for the advices so far~

    Guess I have no choice then...any advices so far? I use the 18-70 and 70-210 nowadays...need something lightweight but carbon-fibre would be too exp~

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    As said b4 what you NEED, is a tripod.

    go to CP and try them out.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    mate, any chance I can pick up a tip or 2 from ya sometime~

    i'm not really good at night shots though.. just got these tips from here and there from pros in here.... you can try brousing around.. i'm sure you can find many tips..

    *PM me.. Cos exams.. might be busy..
    Last edited by kennyleong; 8th May 2005 at 05:40 PM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KayuTanah (w00dLaNds)
    Posts
    131

    Default

    judging frm the pics,tripod is needed...hmmm I'm not sure wht camera u r holding but hope ur camera can adjust the below settings. for nite scene u need long exposure time, use ISO200 or lower (for sharp Img), if u wnts good ligthing effects use F8 or more (u will see lights got ray). BTw, u nd to over expose the pics if it seems dark. U need to experience it for better nite shots scene...i'm holding D70 and i'm learning it also. just sharing ^_^

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    As said b4 what you NEED, is a tripod.

    go to CP and try them out.
    I know I asked before dun scold me

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walker
    judging frm the pics,tripod is needed...hmmm I'm not sure wht camera u r holding but hope ur camera can adjust the below settings. for nite scene u need long exposure time, use ISO200 or lower (for sharp Img), if u wnts good ligthing effects use F8 or more (u will see lights got ray). BTw, u nd to over expose the pics if it seems dark. U need to experience it for better nite shots scene...i'm holding D70 and i'm learning it also. just sharing ^_^
    Using the D70s as well at ISO 400...I trying to hand hold as much as possible mah Lazy is like that one hehehe but guess really no other methods to cheat I tried setting the ev compensation to +2 also dun make much difference

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    Using the D70s as well at ISO 400...I trying to hand hold as much as possible mah Lazy is like that one hehehe but guess really no other methods to cheat I tried setting the ev compensation to +2 also dun make much difference
    using methods to cheat = cheating yourself

    just go get a tripod. go to a shop and see and feel it for yourself.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    using methods to cheat = cheating yourself

    just go get a tripod. go to a shop and see and feel it for yourself.
    gt myself a lightweight aluminium monopod

  19. #19

    Default

    If you want quality and long exposure (special effect) shot, you need to use a tripod.

    If you want normal shot, you can use high ISO with fast lens.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    If you want normal shot, you can use high ISO with fast lens.
    Hmmm megaweb...normal shot was what I was looking for...hence the ISO 800 and above with prime lens mebbe 24mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.4? Will it work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •