Thread: lost my bookmarks with Mozilla firefox!

Default lost my bookmarks with Mozilla firefox!

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out, I almost a complete computer nut:

I started using Mozilla Firefox as my browser a few months ago, but recently when I started using it, it asked me to choose a user 'type' (forgot what it called), when i choose default user (as the other was not much different) I could get Mozilla BUT I lost my old bookmarks! How can I get it back?

It is so strange it suddenly asked me to choose a user 'type'????

Hong Sien

i hope it's not another strange "encounter"

hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i hope it's not another strange "encounter"

hahaha!
    looks like it is sofar to me :-), didn't know ghosts could get into the same wavelength as CPU's.........any ghostbusters around?

boot directory > documents and settings > (user name) > application data > mozilla > firefox> profiles > (wadever folder with funny name) > bookmarks.html

or alternatively u can search for bookmarks.html and then place it in the above folder of ur current user name.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out, I almost a complete computer nut:

I started using Mozilla Firefox as my browser a few months ago, but recently when I started using it, it asked me to choose a user 'type' (forgot what it called), when i choose default user (as the other was not much different) I could get Mozilla BUT I lost my old bookmarks! How can I get it back?

It is so strange it suddenly asked me to choose a user 'type'????

Hong Sien
    Firefox is a bit buggy. Sometimes when you shut it down it crashes and still remains in the processes under task manager, when you try to open firefox again it prompts you with the above. You got to end task manually and then open firefox again.

Default firefox

Thanks Clown and reno77 for the help! I tried to open up the profile manager, but they only contain the current bookmarks, NOT the old ones that I had painstakingly collected and filed :-(. I am not sure what I did when it asked for a new user profile, I think i choose to use (default), does this mean I lost my old bookmarks?????? This was the second time it asked me this, realy annoying! And I HAD to choose a user profile or else it won't let me use Firefox........

Hong Sien

Thanks Clown and reno77 for the help! I tried to open up the profile manager, but they only contain the current bookmarks, NOT the old ones that I had painstakingly collected and filed :-(. I am not sure what I did when it asked for a new user profile, I think i choose to use (default), does this mean I lost my old bookmarks?????? This was the second time it asked me this, realy annoying! And I HAD to choose a user profile or else it won't let me use Firefox........

Hong Sien
    no ur old bookmarks are most probably safe.
    go look for the bookmarks.html file.
    sigh.

Try open up Windows explorer/My Computer and to go to the directory

C:\Documents and Settings\<your login id>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default

and search for bookmarks.html. For me, firefox keeps another bookmarks.bak.

If you still can't find it in that directory, then goes up one level up the directory i.e C:\Documents and Settings\<your login id>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and then goes into each directory you can find there and search for bookmarks.html. Worst come to worst
    Use the find function to search for file bookmarks.* from c:\

Hope this help.

i got this problem once too, somehow the old profile got corrupted and firefox create a new one (thus all your old bookmarks are gone)

however, all you need is search for the bookmarks.html or bookmarks.bak file, using the method mentioned above.

btw, if you are using XP, by default the file may be hidden.

open Windows explorer, Go to tools, folder options, and under view, uncheck hidden file extensions and show hidden files and folders

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i got this problem once too, somehow the old profile got corrupted and firefox create a new one (thus all your old bookmarks are gone)

however, all you need is search for the bookmarks.html or bookmarks.bak file, using the method mentioned above.

btw, if you are using XP, by default the file may be hidden.

open Windows explorer, Go to tools, folder options, and under view, uncheck hidden file extensions and show hidden files and folders
    Thanks! Yes, I am using XP, maybe thats why I still couldn't find my old bookmarks...the bookmarks.html that I found was the new one.....

HS

I found it!!!! Thanks alll!!!!!!! I am a happy grumpy old man!

HS

I found it!!!! Thanks alll!!!!!!! I am a happy grumpy old man!

HS
    so the problem is because the folder is hidden?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    so the problem is because the folder is hidden?
    I don't know what the problem was that makes Firefox to make a new user profile......if you talk about my 'problem' finding the profile bookmark.html: yes, it was hidden and I couldn't find it because of that, I am still wondering why some files are 'hidden'? Whats the use of it to hide?........another thing: when I do a search using windows it takes such a loooooong time! With a Mac it just happens in a few seconds!

HS

I don't know what the problem was that makes Firefox to make a new user profile......if you talk about my 'problem' finding the profile bookmark.html: yes, it was hidden and I couldn't find it because of that, I am still wondering why some files are 'hidden'? Whats the use of it to hide?........another thing: when I do a search using windows it takes such a loooooong time! With a Mac it just happens in a few seconds!

HS
    hmm...it is hidden so that you wont mess with it accidentally?

my windows PC search faster than my mac leh
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY