Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Wedding (1st time)

Default Re: Shooting Wedding (1st time)

Quote Originally Posted by sje4182 View Post
    Well, i would still want them to turn out as nice as possible even if it is just keep one side.
    nice in what way? what are the elements making a photo nice?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    If there another person with camera, maybe can discuss with him/her. Eg u cover more on couple and he/she cover more on guests?
    Yah, i am thinking of that strategy. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    nice in what way? what are the elements making a photo nice?
    Sharp, correct exposure, nice composition, etc...maybe can catch those nice "candid moments".....I am sure you know right? U testing me ah?

wah , I would recommend the constant 17-50mm f 2.8 also, with flash.
    plan and know what the couple will be doing on that day and make sure ur 1 step ahead.
    since ur the main photog, take control and ask them to pose for important shots and make sure peope get out of your way haha

if you can handle indoor lighting and taken part in weddings from morning to night before I believe you will do just fine

just remember to act fast as some moments do not repeat

oh yah , never forget the group family shots hor hhaha, later their ah mah come after u, have fun !
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    wah , I would recommend the constant 17-50mm f 2.8 also, with flash.
    plan and know what the couple will be doing on that day and make sure ur 1 step ahead.
    since ur the main photog, take control and ask them to pose for important shots and make sure peope get out of your way haha

if you can handle indoor lighting and taken part in weddings from morning to night before I believe you will do just fine

just remember to act fast as some moments do not repeat

oh yah , never forget the group family shots hor hhaha, later their ah mah come after u, have fun !
    Thanks!

Erm, i make them repeat lor hahaha....see how many times they can feed each other dessert

Ya, group shots should all be quite alright as it is a controlled/posed shot. But then again there have been instances in the past where a picture looks alright on my LCD then when open in laptop looks not so ok

Some of my uncertainties are like when during the first march in, wait got different lights and spots lights coming from a few different directions (some back, some front) then don't know if should use the flash or not, etc....but like wat another forumer said, so a photography dry run before the wedding itself (i only doing the night part). Day part, the other guy doing himself (wedding is in KL, i can't reach there so early yo do the morning part).

Err....SB910 still not good enough?
    Missed the part where you said you have the Nikon SB-910. It looks like you're good as far as the equipment goes.

All that is left is to handle the shoot itself. No guts no glory!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Missed the part where you said you have the Nikon SB-910. It looks like you're good as far as the equipment goes.

Not really.. But then again the couple doesn't seem very serious.

If a good friend actually went to the extent of running such lines by me and I *had* to do the job even after insisting many times that a professional would be more appropriate, I would make sure I had a backup body. A promise made is a promise kept and I won't want to have to smile at them sheepishly in the middle of the wedding telling them that the shutter unit ran through its life and I have no more camera to shoot their day.

My advise is to rent a D600 (make sure you have a couple of battery with that too) and a 24-70mm. Then use your existing camera as a backup.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    My advise is to rent a D600 (make sure you have a couple of battery with that too) and a 24-70mm. Then use your existing camera as a backup.
    Cos the wedding is in Malaysia, i will actually be there for total of 4 days (mini holiday) so renting a D600 + 24-70 for 4 days (prob 5 as i may only return the next day after i come back), the cost will be pretty high (based on CRC rates, will be about $130/day x 5 days = $665). Will be cheaper to buy used ones from BNS and then sell off after i come back. Lose maybe $200-$300 bucks and a much more flexible than rental.

If I were you I'll let your friend know about your problems preparing for his 'big' day. Seems like your day will be 'bigger'
    than his with all this planning,mulling over whether to buy or rent including doing a very good job covering his wedding
    even though this is your first ever wedding shoot.Any way no offense to your friend since he's getting married and am sure
    money already prepared for this once in a lifetime thingy why spare his expense of hiring a proper pro photog to do the job
    and prefer to put so much stress on you.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Not really.. But then again the couple doesn't seem very serious.

If a good friend actually went to the extent of running such lines by me and I *had* to do the job even after insisting many times that a professional would be more appropriate, I would make sure I had a backup body. A promise made is a promise kept and I won't want to have to smile at them sheepishly in the middle of the wedding telling them that the shutter unit ran through its life and I have no more camera to shoot their day.
    My 7100 only few months old. If really so sway then use my Galaxy S4 =P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    If I were you I'll let your friend know about your problems preparing for his 'big' day. Seems like your day will be 'bigger'
    than his with all this planning,mulling over whether to buy or rent including doing a very good job covering his wedding
    even though this is your first ever wedding shoot.Any way no offense to your friend since he's getting married and am sure
    money already prepared for this once in a lifetime thingy why spare his expense of hiring a proper pro photog to do the job
    and prefer to put so much stress on you.
    Ya, i don't understand also but this kind of thing not for me to question. Maybe they really very tight already...

My 7100 only few months old. If really so sway then use my Galaxy S4 =P
    It's Murphy's Law....

Thanks!

Erm, i make them repeat lor hahaha....see how many times they can feed each other dessert

Ya, group shots should all be quite alright as it is a controlled/posed shot. But then again there have been instances in the past where a picture looks alright on my LCD then when open in laptop looks not so ok

Some of my uncertainties are like when during the first march in, wait got different lights and spots lights coming from a few different directions (some back, some front) then don't know if should use the flash or not, etc....but like wat another forumer said, so a photography dry run before the wedding itself (i only doing the night part). Day part, the other guy doing himself (wedding is in KL, i can't reach there so early yo do the morning part).
    Hmm yah normally the night march in abit tricky, try to bump up ur iso to the limit, if you are unsure then take some with and without flash. u have to be fast with ur camera loh, in situations where u don't have time to check ur photos.
    shutter speed try to get as fast as u can... and just note when events are happening forget about checking if the photo is okay, u can hear ur shutter, if its fast enough it should be good enough (unless too bright over expose haha which might happen on sunny days) oh yah , and try to take RAW for extensive salvage of photos ahaha
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    Hmm yah normally the night march in abit tricky, try to bump up ur iso to the limit, if you are unsure then take some with and without flash. u have to be fast with ur camera loh, in situations where u don't have time to check ur photos.
    shutter speed try to get as fast as u can... and just note when events are happening forget about checking if the photo is okay, u can hear ur shutter, if its fast enough it should be good enough (unless too bright over expose haha which might happen on sunny days) oh yah , and try to take RAW for extensive salvage of photos ahaha
    I am going to try to scare him one more time tonight.

Of course i know good gear alone doesn't mean good photos. But it would definitely help to have them (otherwise why would ppl but all those expensive gear). And of course good skill and experience can compensate for good (read: expensive) gear.

Well, i would still want them to turn out as nice as possible even if it is just keep one side. My fault for having pride in what i do and wanting to do it as best as i can.
    To make your life easy, just bring out the lens you're most familiar with.
    Try not to bring too much lens out otherwise you will spend most of the time changing lens instead of shooting.
    What Catchlight meant is, since your friend just want someone to shoot for them.

They don't seem they need pro grade or those can win awards but those they can share on social media.
    So TS, bring out the gear you're familiar and enjoy the shooting.
    Cheers!

Ya, i don't understand also but this kind of thing not for me to question. Maybe they really very tight already...

As a friend it's more important to let him know your standard and capability in covering his 'big' day.Yeah no doubt he says he doesn't mind
    and will just keep the pictures away but on hindsight there's his and her family who will want to see the end result and at the end of it all
    you'll be at the receiving end of nasty comments. It's not as easy that you imagine about wedding coverage less you have gone thru several
    wedding shoots. Yes you may not have the 'courage' to question him,being his friend 'tao ka chew leh' but with him saving $$$ on your expense
    guess it's both your choices. Wish you luck then.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Note of thanks to those who gave me useful tips here as well as those who PM'ed me your tips. I will try to remember to KISS and get the main (important) pics right....

Hi All

Will be shooting a fren's weddding next month and am in a bit of a dilema. I have a D7100 and the following lens: Sigma 17-50/2.8, Nikon 16-85 VR2, Nikon 18-105 VR and Nikon 55-200 VR. I only want to bring at most 2 of these 4 lens (if possible just one as i still have to bring a 35mm prime). Which 2 should i bring?

1. Sigma 17-50 - my only constant f2.8 lens should be useful in generally dark ballroom
    2. Nikon 16-85 - widest lens i have for taking those table group photo (although ultimately only 1 mm wider than sigma so may not be a big deal) and also significantly more reach than the sigma
    3. Nikon 18-105 - not as wide as sigma or 16-85 but has longest reach of the 3 but prob the lowest IQ
    4. Nikon 55-200 - longest reach

If confirm that i don't need more than 100mm (150mm FF equiv) focal length then i can immediately rule out the 55-200. The other 3 is less simple. As i have not shot wedding before i am not sure if just the Sigma 17-50 (24ish - 75ish FF equiv) alone is enough to cover the whole event. If it is then this will be my choice due to the f2.8. On the other hand if 50mm if not long enough then i will need to bring either the 16-85 or 18-105. Needless to say i rather bring the 16-85. But if i need even more reach than 85mm (120++ FF equiv) then i will need to bring the 18-105. From the test shots i have taken, i can't say for sure that the 16-85 has better IQ than 18-105 but psychologically i rather not shoot with a kit lens.

I did consider getting a d600 and 24-120 f4 and solve all the problem but the $$$ hurts.

Any advice?

Thanks.
    as most people mentioned..
    *comments as a newbie myself also* LOL..

16-85 - outdoor (standby)
    17-50 - indoor (mostly using)
    18-105 (keep at home)
    55-200 (keep at home)

use 17-50 and bring 16-85 for standby.. (personally i think you might need it if situation arises.. (correct me if i'm wrong))
    55-200 - just walk nearer.. (too many lens, no time to change, I think change settings also headache ler, leave changing lens one side)

just my 2cents of comments as a newbie..

I agreed.. *getting married and suddenly realised, wedding stuff and budget overspend.. =.=''

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    As a friend it's more important to let him know your standard and capability in covering his 'big' day.Yeah no doubt he says he doesn't mind
    and will just keep the pictures away but on hindsight there's his and her family who will want to see the end result and at the end of it all
    you'll be at the receiving end of nasty comments. It's not as easy that you imagine about wedding coverage less you have gone thru several
    wedding shoots. Yes you may not have the 'courage' to question him,being his friend 'tao ka chew leh' but with him saving $$$ on your expense
    guess it's both your choices. Wish you luck then.
    indeed. just remember to update him your skill level.. (dun over stress yourself else you would not be able to get the "feel" & the "must" have shoots) For shoots can be "re-do", dun be shy to ask them to redo it..

Note of thanks to those who gave me useful tips here as well as those who PM'ed me your tips. I will try to remember to KISS and get the main (important) pics right....
    Good luck bro!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast