Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie needs help....

Quote Originally Posted by candy
    remove the lens cover.
    Alamak...I think this is so insulting lor...
    Newcomer also kenna scared away already...

remove the lens cover.
    Hi cindy, welcome to the club

well think u should be more intelligent to require reminder from some1 else on such minor things

im a newbie too, fact is this is not a totally friendly neighbourhood here. But u still can do fine, just ignore those nonsense replies. its pointless anyway.
    just shoot shoot n shoot photossssss

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish
    fact is this is not a totally friendly neighbourhood here. But u still can do fine, just ignore those nonsense replies. its pointless anyway.
    Gotta agree with that.
    I've been to cycling forums and it's the same thing as well.
    At least point the newbie to a weblink that he/she can read up on to improve his/her knowledge instead of posting for the sake of posting.
    But in truth the newbie should have at least done some research and learned something before venturing into SLR/DSLR photography.
    This is no point and shoot with a compact camera type of thing.

Well, I learned my basics from here just to get me started into photography:

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques....cfm?subject=6

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

But you can always search the net for instant answers to your problems.
    And the tips and techniques used for film SLR can also be used for DSLR as well, minus the film of course.

Hi Cindy, welcome to the community.

You did not give much details so I assume you're shooting against bright backgrounds ,i.e. the bright sky thus it's natural that you'll see your subjects underexposed (or dark). Try using the pop-up flash and see if it does the trick ...

Deregistered

There's the NUG if you wish to join, we'd be glad to discuss the images' issues over with you if you can bring the shots

Quote Originally Posted by MyNikon
    Gotta agree with that.
    I've been to cycling forums and it's the same thing as well.
    At least point the newbie to a weblink that he/she can read up on to improve his/her knowledge instead of posting for the sake of posting.
    But in truth the newbie should have at least done some research and learned something before venturing into SLR/DSLR photography.
    This is no point and shoot with a compact camera type of thing.

Well, I learned my basics from here just to get me started into photography:

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques....cfm?subject=6

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

But you can always search the net for instant answers to your problems.
    And the tips and techniques used for film SLR can also be used for DSLR as well, minus the film of course.
    well said mate

remove the lens cover.
    if it looked very bright? cover it back?

Hi everybody,

Was away and surprised to see so many replies. I'll read through them carefully and try to read up as much as possible (and hopefully ask more intelligent questions....)

Thanks for the help.

Hey Cindy,
    Welcome
    As mentioned, now that you have the D70, do read up and understand the fundamentals of photography like Shutter Speed, Aperature, ISO, Explosure etc etc, these will help you to understand and know why a particular pic turn out the way, it will also help to to know how to take good photos. If you used to use a film P&S then knowledge of all this might not be that important, but in SLR/DSLR, all this are essential for utilizing the camera.

As for this quote from Candy, please just ignore it.
    remove the lens cover.
    Hope you will enjoy taking photos with your D70.
    Cheers=

[QUOTE=CLQ]If you used to use a film P&S then knowledge of all this might not be that important, but in SLR/DSLR, all this are essential for utilizing the camera./QUOTE]

Just a small comment on this.

I think the statement should be "if all you use is a film P&S or digital P&S, all this might not be that important..."

The issue is not film or digital, but "control". Most "low-end" P&S, digital or film, are just that, P&S with the only controls in where and when you point the camera. I remember many years ago, Canon made a SLR that function just like a P&S, where the only control you have is choosing "portrait" or "landscape" mode.etc.

The issue is "control" to create the images you want.

But in "higher" end P&S, controls are available, at least aperture choices. And here knowledge of such fundamentals as you pointed out are useful.

try showing the pictures and your camera settings..then we'll see..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12