Thread: StarHub's No 2 in mobile wars. M1 needs to Buck UP

Default StarHub's No 2 in mobile wars. M1 needs to Buck UP

FOR the first time since StarHub burst into the local telco scene in 2000, the "upstart" has overtaken its rival MobileOne (M1) for the No 2 spot in the mobile phone market here, with an estimated lead of 36,700 subscribers.

The number was calculated by subtracting the latest subscriber figures for SingTel and M1 from the total number of subscribers in Singapore provided by the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA — see box). StarHub will release its official subscriber numbers next week.

The latest figures show that, out of the 3.99 million mobile subscribers here, StarHub had an estimated 30.8 per cent market share as of March 31, above M1's 29.9 per cent. SingTel still leads with 39.3 per cent, down marginally from 39.9 per cent in December.

Just a few months ago, StarHub was trailing M1 by 2,000 subscribers.

So, what caused the dramatic turnaround?

Analysts say it's a combination of an aggressive pricing strategy and a successful branding campaign that's gaining mindshare among consumers.

yeah!!! next one.. singtel... lol...

i was a M1 user, but they changed the peak hours timing in er .... 2001? and immediately i switched to starhub ... has been a hubber since then on ...

Quote Originally Posted by dOME
    FOR the first time since StarHub burst into the local telco scene in 2000, the "upstart" has overtaken its rival MobileOne (M1) for the No 2 spot in the mobile phone market here, with an estimated lead of 36,700 subscribers.

The number was calculated by subtracting the latest subscriber figures for SingTel and M1 from the total number of subscribers in Singapore provided by the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA — see box). StarHub will release its official subscriber numbers next week.

The latest figures show that, out of the 3.99 million mobile subscribers here, StarHub had an estimated 30.8 per cent market share as of March 31, above M1's 29.9 per cent. SingTel still leads with 39.3 per cent, down marginally from 39.9 per cent in December.

Just a few months ago, StarHub was trailing M1 by 2,000 subscribers.

So, what caused the dramatic turnaround?

Analysts say it's a combination of an aggressive pricing strategy and a successful branding campaign that's gaining mindshare among consumers.
    三国鼎立

Quote Originally Posted by West_ray
    i was a M1 user, but they changed the peak hours timing in er .... 2001? and immediately i switched to starhub ... has been a hubber since then on ...
    oh, was there a change in the peak hours timing? i recall it's off peak from 7pm onwards right? quite a good timing i must say

Deregistered

I'm changing soon too. Can't decide Singtel/Starhub though.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I'm changing soon too. Can't decide Singtel/Starhub though.
    get them all loh

buy buy buy.

Switched from M1 to Starhub about 3 months ago... reception seems to be on par with M1's (at least to those places I frequent lar).. and IMHO, the per second billing rocks.

One thing I also like with Starhub is their "generosity". At one time I envied my brother coz he received 2 HP vouchers from Starhub, allowing him to upgrade his handphone. I was with M1 for about 4 years and *never* as in *never* did I receive a HP Voucher from them. I remember so well when called M1 and told them that I'd terminate my line since my contract has ended. The CSO I talked to asked why? And I said "Per second billing and well.. I've been with M1 for more than four years and I have never received a voucher from you! Compare that with Starhub's". At this point, the CSO offered me a $150 voucher which I can claim straight away from any M1 Shop. I said "No thanks" and was offered some other freebies (can't remember but more on their services). But I remained steadfast liao.

Now am a Hubber and getting some discount coz I've got MOL & Mobile subscriptions already.

:Later,

Deregistered

I'm terminating because of the 'voucher'. Allowed me to trade in my phone for another, but with no small prints bearing 2 years contract till I called up the customer service hotline.

If this is how M1 rewards users like me who've been with them for 7 years.. then I don't see why I shouldn't switch...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I'm terminating because of the 'voucher'. Allowed me to trade in my phone for another, but with no small prints bearing 2 years contract till I called up the customer service hotline.

If this is how M1 rewards users like me who've been with them for 7 years.. then I don't see why I shouldn't switch...
    7 years ??

hmmm... let me think... me ard 8+ years...

still got nothing from them.. no miss payment, no problems... but..

haiz... anyway, i come across singtel CS.. also no good.. know nothing except playing TAI JI best..

Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Get those singtel cooperate plan , cheaper by alot and free service is extended . I am using the NSF mindef plan just ask ard yr relative who are in the army to help u sign up one!

I also on M1. Going to switch over to Starhub once my contract ends. 2 months more to go!

Although the GSM coverage of Starhub is not as good as M1 or Singtel, their services and prices are more attractive.