Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any backpacker cum photographer?

No offence to India.....friends came back advised not to go. Crowded and polluted
    Need to get my booster shot soon.....hepatitis

just did back pack to japan for 12 days ... total spending $3000 (all in, except shopping), if including shopping, it was $3500. ....... 8 people to go. Coverage area : hiroshima up to sapporo-hakodate.

Introducing a very nice place outskirt Tokyo. ..... TAKAYAMA. Very nice city.

Doing europe...

Izzit better to book accomodation online, or go there then walk in?
    Late may, early June period...

depends on where you are heading.

i did paris and eastern europe long ago (>10 years ago) and spain/france in 2000.. In the bigger cities like paris, madrid, barcelona.. it might be better to book in advance.. In the smaller towns, it's usually okay to find your accommodation only when you are there.

In barcelona, although we did pre-book, we ended up in barcelona a day earlier than planned because we were too tired and we miscalculated. And guess what, it was their public holiday, and i remembered seeing this sign at the barcelona station "No room in Barcelona". So, not wanting to sleep in the station, we took a train heading towards madrid, but changed to the other direction midway, heading back to barcelona.

It's also not easy to find accommodation and especially cheap accommodation in paris.

elsewhere in smaller towns, B&Bs are cheaper and easier to book. Generally we tended not to prebook too much because we might adjust the itinerary as we go along. In my last trip, we only booked accom in Madrid and Barcelona before the trip.

Bring along Let's Go Europe, or lonely planet, or get a list of the hotels/B&Bs/hostels off the internet.

Anyway, part of the fun of backpacking is to improvise and to adapt. Just go with an open mind, and readiness to tough it out.

Default euro trip

i would like to share my backpacking/photographing experiences of western europe. was traveling for 45 days. for longer durations, i felt that the interrail/eurail pass is a good option. i took this and spent most of my nights in the train, thus avoiding having to stay in hotels. most of the stations have a shower and large lockers where you can store your stuff. well, i was on a real shoe string budget as a student. camping is another cheap option but in many places the camp sites are further away from the city centre. so the advantages of cheaper accommodation are sometimes offset by costlier transportation.

there is no dearth of budget style accommodation in the more touristy towns although june and july are peak seasons. another option is to book beforehand at youth hostels or other private places. one site i found good for this is http://www.studentuniverse.com/hostels/

i think backpacking is real fun especially when done in small groups and it is definitely cheaper than normal modes of traveling. i would love to do indonesia and china as long backpacking trips.

oh, by the way, i was shooting slides on nikon fm 10 in europe. just switched to cp5400, but am eyeing a D70 now

How about a photographer cum backpacker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Dong Moon
    just did back pack to japan for 12 days ... total spending $3000 (all in, except shopping), if including shopping, it was $3500. ....... 8 people to go. Coverage area : hiroshima up to sapporo-hakodate.

Introducing a very nice place outskirt Tokyo. ..... TAKAYAMA. Very nice city.
    Hiroshima to Hakodate?

12 dayz... Ain't it a little rush?

Hopefully can gather enuff moola to go for a full month's tour of Japan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12