Thread: I was wondering...

Question I was wondering...

Is dedicated graphic card contributing to my post photo processing while I am editing my RAW photos in lightroom? Contributing as does it speed up my editing? Anyone has any idea about it? Or integrated graphic cards are more than enough to do the job?

Been wondering this for a while, though I have a dedicated graphic card installed in PC.

Default Re: I was wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSid View Post
    Is dedicated graphic card contributing to my post photo processing while I am editing my RAW photos in lightroom? Contributing as does it speed up my editing? Anyone has any idea about it? Or integrated graphic cards are more than enough to do the job?

Been wondering this for a while, though I have a dedicated graphic card installed in PC.
    I was faced with the same question when I bought a new desktop last year. I did some research on Lightroom and Photoshop and surprisingly found that the graphic engines inside the computer plays a minimal role. This of course is much different with video... but for still photography, the graphics engine makes little difference.

What makes a difference is the fastest CPU along with as much RAM as you can afford.
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon G15

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    I was faced with the same question when I bought a new desktop last year. I did some research on Lightroom and Photoshop and surprisingly found that the graphic engines inside the computer plays a minimal role. This of course is much different with video... but for still photography, the graphics engine makes little difference.

What makes a difference is the fastest CPU along with as much RAM as you can afford.
    Raydio, thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Have a look at Digital Darkroom, question has been discussed there before. And a speaking topic doesn't make other people wondering ..
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSid View Post

As mentioned, it has minimal impact except perhaps on redraw functions.

Get alot of RAM ( especially if 64bit platforms) , a fast CPU. My SSD launches PS in about a second, and the second SSD as scratch disc.

Ryan