Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to getting the Kindle Paper White

Default Re: Alternative to getting the Kindle Paper White

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    My friend had a good run too, two years ... then Amazon caught on and gave him an email and barred his account
    Heng sway?
    I've continued to do the applied gift card method
    Oh dear. Was he doing like what I did ? I have been buying Kindle books this way for more than a year already.

If it is so then perhaps I should never make purchases over local IP address ....

So after getting a Kindle purchasing the ebooks will still pose as a challenge since we cannot use local credit cards.
    Any advice how to get around it with a VPN?
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    So after getting a Kindle purchasing the ebooks will still pose as a challenge since we cannot use local credit cards.
    Any advice how to get around it with a VPN?
    not really an Amazon user, but is Paypal accepted?

I just connect to.USA vpn via Tor network, then never had issues
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    not really an Amazon user, but is Paypal accepted?
    No.. they only take credit or debit cards.. but like everyone said, not too troublesome.
    After some time you don't even have to use VPN. Having a Kindle is convenient

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post

No.. they only take credit or debit cards.. but like everyone said, not too troublesome.
    After some time you don't even have to use VPN. Having a Kindle is convenient
    Why bother using a kindle when there are better ebook readers in market........

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Why bother using a kindle when there are better ebook readers in market........
    Like ? The thing is.. Amazon have the largest collection of ebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I just connect to.USA vpn via Tor network, then never had issues
    I keep a US address account funded using gift cards and purchase books through the store in the kindle. Works here and overseas, no need for VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post

Like ? The thing is.. Amazon have the largest collection of ebooks.
    Any other brand that doesn't need VPN or kena banned from amazon

So what if Amazon has largest collection? Canon also has largest collection of lenses. Do u buy all of them?

So what if Amazon has largest collection? Canon also has largest collection of lenses. Do u buy all of them?
    Its true that you wont need ALL of them, but I often read new books that only available in Amazon, so YMMV
    Its quite useless to have ebook reader but no ebook to buy and read

A better analogy would be a large central library vs one with only a small repository of books. In catering for varied reading preference and habits of the masses, the one with larger selection will have the edge when it comes to chances of securing something less mainstream.

Amazon books are ( usually ) cheaper as well.

There is a paucity of e ink android readers
    , the ones in market are usually tied to their respective e-stores. Color E ink panels seemed to have suffered premature abortion in market. I for one would think a color e ink android tablet would be a better choice for bookworms like me. There is always the option of installing kindle app, and yet utilize other reading apps like Aldiko that provides support for larger number of common formats.

Ryan

Seems to me theres quite a few kindle users, too bad not many ebook with lending permission

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Oh dear. Was he doing like what I did ? I have been buying Kindle books this way for more than a year already.

If it is so then perhaps I should never make purchases over local IP address ....
    Heh yes Ryan. Can ride your luck and see what happens...
    My friend's a voracious reader, 3-4 per month. Maybe the frequency of orders flagged him up *shrug*
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Alternative to Amazon, I am using Barnes and Nobles Nook with the VPN method.

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post

Heh yes Ryan. Can ride your luck and see what happens...
    My friend's a voracious reader, 3-4 per month. Maybe the frequency of orders flagged him up *shrug*
    The intrinsic fear I have is I spent quite a bit of moneies buying ebooks. 1-Click purchase is too convenient.. Technically unlike the purchase of a paperback, users do not own the ebooks. If Amazon should collapse the account, that will leave (me) with nothing.

But in the long run, buying ebook offers greater savings compared to conventional books. So in the long run, especially if your an avid reader, you would have 'recouped' your investment in a Kindle. Not forgetting other benefits such as storage issues and saving the environment. Afterall how often do you read the same books.

The intrinsic fear I have is I spent quite a bit of moneies buying ebooks. 1-Click purchase is too convenient.. Technically unlike the purchase of a paperback, users do not own the ebooks. If Amazon should collapse the account, that will leave (me) with nothing.

Not sure if blocking the account means they can wipe your already bought books from the device.. but lets just wait until the publisher give Amazon permission to sell worldwide.

But the strange thing is, I can order the older version (Kindle E Ink) from Amazon and there is no shipping issue to Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    But the strange thing is, I can order the older version (Kindle E Ink) from Amazon and there is no shipping issue to Singapore.
    They want to clear old stock.. so why not
    I think Amazon already know many ebook buyers is not from US UK japan etc.. but they pretend do not know, and punish 1-2 just for show only

I'm using kindle for since year 2011. Never use VPN, and so far never have problem to download the ebook.
    Another reason, amazon have few thousands free ebook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast