Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Default Re: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

So is it a design problem with the RF603, or P mode, or Nikon?

I find it quite strange that the RF 603 didn't send a disable HSS by default.

Default Re: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    So is it a design problem with the RF603, or P mode, or Nikon?
    Good question Nikon won't care about YN (as a cheaper competitor to its own flash devices), YN will blame Nikon for not releasing details .. Till the cow comes home or YN succeeds in reverse engineering.
    I find it quite strange that the RF 603 didn't send a disable HSS by default.
    See above. YN would not know what to 'say'. I suspect the YN flash trigger just does enough the be recognized at TTL compatible flash, nothing else. It uses the trigger signal from hotshoe to fire the remote flash. Done.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Good question Nikon won't care about YN (as a cheaper competitor to its own flash devices), YN will blame Nikon for not releasing details .. Till the cow comes home or YN succeeds in reverse engineering.

See above. YN would not know what to 'say'. I suspect the YN flash trigger just does enough the be recognized at TTL compatible flash, nothing else. It uses the trigger signal from hotshoe to fire the remote flash. Done.
    Thanks

Actually, I think they do. Their YN622 is HSS enabled so it appears to me that they know what command to return to the body to feedback whether HSS is on or off... Even before the YN622, their YN568 flash also has HSS...
    Last edited by Mythmaker; 9th September 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks

Actually, I think they do. Their YN622 is HSS enabled so it appears to me that they know what command to return to the body to feedback whether HSS is on or off... Even before the YN622, their YN568 flash also has HSS...
    HSS is Canon.. different from Nikon.. one speaks hokkien the other speaks Cantonese..
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

Quote Originally Posted by CasualBear View Post

HSS is Canon.. different from Nikon.. one speaks hokkien the other speaks Cantonese..
    nikon has hss.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post

nikon has hss.
    Oh yar.. u r right to highlight my ignorance.. just Google it and a good explanation is available
    http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics2b.html
    Seems the issue is this the flash being triggered wireless from the transmitter... n not from horseshoe..

Oh yar.. u r right to highlight my ignorance.. just Google it and a good explanation is available
    http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics2b.html
    Seems the issue is this the flash being triggered wireless from the transmitter... n not from horseshoe..
    HORSEshoe and HOTshoe are 2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    HORSEshoe and HOTshoe are 2 different things.
    they don't look alike too...

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

The RF-603 is a simple wireless trigger system without i-TTL and HSS capability. It does not matter Whether the flash is Nikon or 3rd patry with HSS feature. Like Octarine said " It uses the trigger signal from hotshoe to fire the remote flash" that's all, no recognition, no feedback, no msg.
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

Blog Entries

Thanks

Most of the cheaper ttl triggers just do a simple read and relay. So what ever signal goes in and out is read and sent via rf then conveyed. Not much techonology involved. So it reads and relay signals from all contact points.

For non ttl triggers, they just read the center trigger voltage then orders the other units to fire as well.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th September 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Most of the cheaper ttl triggers just do a simple read and relay. So what ever signal goes in and out is read and sent via rf then conveyed. Not much techonology involved. So it reads and relay signals from all contact points.

For non ttl triggers, they just read the center trigger voltage then orders the other units to fire as well.
    In layman terms.. means use original, wouldn't go wrong.. use third party, must know the correct settings?

In layman terms.. means use original, wouldn't go wrong.. use third party, must know the correct settings?
    No, it doesn't matter whether original or third party. In both cases laymen need to learn a few things to make knowledgeable decisions about settings. Most important: learn about the basics of flash photography and the capabilities of the equipment.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    they don't look alike too...

hahaha, this is funny
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thanks

1) some older canon EF mount 3rd party lens doesnt work with newer cameras (except it still works when aperture is set to wide open, any no. other than that error pops up).
    2) many 3 party flash has compatibility chart to tell u which camera it will not work with, but all canon camera works in ETTL or ETTL2, nikon with iTTL, the pin arrangement are the same according to the makers.

maybe u can check the compatibility chart?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Blog Entries

Doing any sort of flash photography, must know correct settings. No matter original or not, TTL or not.

But what I wrote in my last post has nothing whatsoever to do with original or 3rd party. Wonder how you managed to extrapolate to that.

Doing any sort of flash photography, must know correct settings. No matter original or not, TTL or not.

But what I wrote in my last post has nothing whatsoever to do with original or 3rd party. Wonder how you managed to extrapolate to that.
    "Most cheaper ttl.. " the last I check.. most original flash r easily 3times more than third party flash.. ie the simple sb400 cost abt $400 while the Yong nuo 560 iii only $100?
    can't help but generalized the price effect here..

whatever it is... original or third party, you need to have the knowledge, and know your tools well.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by v0857 View Post
    The RF-603 is a simple wireless trigger system without i-TTL and HSS capability. It does not matter Whether the flash is Nikon or 3rd patry with HSS feature. Like Octarine said " It uses the trigger signal from hotshoe to fire the remote flash" that's all, no recognition, no feedback, no msg.

http://dpanswers.com/content/rev_radio_yn.php

well... that's why people pay top dollar for 3rd Party trigger that support the TTL pass through.

some examples:

http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=170

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/030...ger-for-canon-

Blog Entries

"Most cheaper ttl.. " the last I check.. most original flash r easily 3times more than third party flash.. ie the simple sb400 cost abt $400 while the Yong nuo 560 iii only $100?
    can't help but generalized the price effect here..
    We are talking about triggers here. Not flashes.

And there are 3rd party triggers that cost more than the nikon/canon ones, like Phottix Odin, Pocketwizards controlTL triggers. Not only do they relay TTL signals, they also give you the ability to manage groups, power ratios and in some cases, adjust the trigger sync so you can flash at high shutter speeds without even using HSS.

PS. SB400 costs around $180 new. And if you want to compare, check out prices of other 3rd party flashes like Metz and Quantum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    http://dpanswers.com/content/rev_radio_yn.php

well... that's why people pay top dollar for 3rd Party trigger that support the TTL pass through.

some examples:

http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=170

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/030...ger-for-canon-
    the Odin, King pro and Pocketwizard C-TL triggers are not simple pass-through and relay triggers actually. The simple TTL ones are like the Pixel knight.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th September 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast