Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Red face Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Hi Guys

Need some advice here.

I had my D7000 Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250, using a Yongnuo RF-603 as wireless flash trigger to trigger the Yongnuo YN-560III wirelessly. The flash triggered but the picture came out black. After checking, I notice that the picture was taken with a shutter speed of 1/500 on P Mode. Can someone kindly advice me what went wrong?

Why does the flash sync speed setting has no effect on the shutter speed when using wireless flash trigger & external flash?
    Last edited by Ronnie Teo; 18th August 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Short answer: yes.
    The camera does not know there is a flash is using.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Use manual exposure mode.

Default Re: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Thanks Benjamin for your advice

So if I understand you correctly, flash sync speed setting only works for internal flash. It will not work with the external flash unit, right?

Thanks again

Ronnie

Default Re: Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250 but picture was taken at 1/500 on P Mode, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Teo View Post
    ...flash sync speed setting only works for internal flash. It will not work with the external flash unit, right?
    It will, but you gotta override the camera's P mode and....

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Use manual exposure mode.

Thanks Benjamin for your advice

So if I understand you correctly, flash sync speed setting only works for internal flash. It will not work with the external flash unit, right?

Thanks again

Ronnie
    if you mount a dedicated external flash on camera hotshoe, camera will detect a flash being use, it will limit the sync speed you have set.

Hi Guys

Need some advice here.

I had my D7000 Flash Sync Speed set at 1/250, using a Yongnuo RF-603 as wireless flash trigger to trigger the Yongnuo YN-560III wirelessly. The flash triggered but the picture came out black. After checking, I notice that the picture was taken with a shutter speed of 1/500 on P Mode. Can someone kindly advice me what went wrong?

Why does the flash sync speed setting has no effect on the shutter speed when using wireless flash trigger & external flash?

*FACE PALM* perhaps this thread should be a sticky in Newbies Corner?

Hi Guys

Need some advice here.

Hi Ronnie, just need you to clarify what you mean by "picture came out black". Do you mean the subject (e.g a person) came out black but the background is reasonably well exposed, or literally the whole entire picture is black?

Did you aim the flash at the subject or bounced it off something (wall or what? how far?) Did you adjust your flash power high enough?

If the latter than your cam metering is really off or you had metered on a really bright spot....or had set your EV to super low.

Perhaps posting the photo you took would help us understand what you faced better.

I check the specs on the RF-603 and see that the max it can do is 1/320, so how is it that your flash can trigger at 1/500?? I don't mean to doubt but did your flash really fired?
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

Quote Originally Posted by v0857 View Post
    Hi Ronnie, just need you to clarify what you mean by "picture came out black". Do you mean the subject (e.g a person) came out black but the background is reasonably well exposed, or literally the whole entire picture is black?

Did you aim the flash at the subject or bounced it off something (wall or what? how far?) Did you adjust your flash power high enough?

If the latter than your cam metering is really off or you had metered on a really bright spot....or had set your EV to super low.

Perhaps posting the photo you took would help us understand what you faced better.

I check the specs on the RF-603 and see that the max it can do is 1/320, so how is it that your flash can trigger at 1/500?? I don't mean to doubt but did your flash really fired?

probably the whole picture black.

sync speed still restrained by camera sync speed... he is on P mode and the camera is not detecting a mounted flash.

the subject was black while the background is well exposed. yes i aimed the flash directly at the subject & the flash was set at full blast & it did fired.

With all the comment I received, I am just guessing that the wireless trigger RF-603 that was mounted on the hot shoes was not being recognized as a flash in P mode. That is why, the camera in P mode thinks that there was no flash present & used the calculated shutter speed of 1/500. Unless the flash is mounted directly on the hot shoes, then the camera will recognize it & use the max sync speed of 1/250.

Blog Entries

the subject was black while the background is well exposed. yes i aimed the flash directly at the subject & the flash was set at full blast & it did fired.

With all the comment I received, I am just guessing that the wireless trigger RF-603 that was mounted on the hot shoes was not being recognized as a flash in P mode. That is why, the camera in P mode thinks that there was no flash present & used the calculated shutter speed of 1/500. Unless the flash is mounted directly on the hot shoes, then the camera will recognize it & use the max sync speed of 1/250.
    Flash is only recognized when a TTL device is mounted on the hotshoe.

Unless the flash is mounted directly on the hot shoes, then the camera will recognize it & use the max sync speed of 1/250.
    Unless the camera is able to communicate with the flash (and the flash supports the communication)
    Possible options (all requiring a flash that understands Canon TTL):
    - Wireless IR solutions (e.g. Canon IR triggers)
    - Canon camera with flash commander
    - Wireless Radio triggers with TTL function (not the cheap ones)
    - ETTL flash cord
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post

probably the whole picture black.

sync speed still restrained by camera sync speed... he is on P mode and the camera is not detecting a mounted flash.
    noted bro
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

thanks for clarifying and describing what went on. Even though the flash fired, but because the shutter speed was beyond sync speed, the firing of the flash did not coincide with the opening of the shutter hence the subject did not get flash illumination during the capture and turned out dark.

If you want to use the RF-603, all you need to do is to control the shutter speed by using 'S', 'M' or even 'A' mode. You had bought the RF-603 to do off-shoe flash photography, don't give up as it's just a matter of taking the small step in controlling the shutter speed and you'll be doing it on the cheap with the RF-603! Have fun!
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

Please shoot M when using off cam.

thanks.

Thanks to all that commended. This really clear all my doubts. Appreciate it.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    Please shoot M when using off cam.

thanks.
    This is for slave mode under s1/s2?
    TS is using as main right? Aperture, shutter or manual mode should b fine?
    sorry.. noob here too.. just wanna clarify..
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CasualBear View Post
    Main or s1 or s2, doesn't matter, A or P mode is not fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualBear View Post

S1 mode, remote flash will fire once sense a flash fire from any flash
    S2 mode, remote flash will ignore the pre-flash from Master flash, and it suppose to fire when the camera shutter open

TS is using wireless flash trigger. so S1 or S2 mode on remote flash is irrelevant here.

to have more control of the ambient light and flash light, Manual Exposure mode is way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

S1 mode, remote flash will fire once sense a flash fire from any flash
    S2 mode, remote flash will ignore the pre-flash from Master flash, and it suppose to fire when the camera shutter open

TS is using wireless flash trigger. so S1 or S2 mode on remote flash is irrelevant here.

to have more control of the ambient light and flash light, Manual Exposure mode is way to go.
    Ah.. OK.. thanks for explaining.
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast