View Poll Results: What image settings will you use on your camera when doing model photo shoot?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • RAW

28 50.00%
  • Fine - 6 Megapixels

26 46.43%
  • Normal - 3 Megapixels

2 3.57%
  • Basic - 1.5 Megapixels

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Image Size

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zeckson Chow
    I may need to explore RAW a bit later because I scared I screwed up. I can try shooting in JPEG, Fine - Large format but I can only shoot about 270 pictures using this format.

I do not know much about post processing, still learing. I heard that Photoshop or Image Ready cannot read NEF files? Need to patch it or something, I cannot be sure.

photoshop will read NEF. it's a generic component, unlike Nikon Capture 4.0 which support the cam fully. its features are somewhat limited compared to Capture .

Oh yes, talk about that, I do notice that PhotoShop, when click on Save As... They only allow me to save as .psd... I want to save as JPEG cannot leh. Need to use the Save Optimized command... Am I doing it wrong?
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by amirfarhan
    photoshop will read NEF. it's a generic component, unlike Nikon Capture 4.0 which support the cam fully. its features are somewhat limited compared to Capture .
    So, in your opinion, does it mean that you will prefer Nikon Capture to PhotoShop, based on your experience?
    My Photo Albums

yes. my experience with Capture has been good. better control working with NEF files.

to increase the effectiveness of your images, i recommend that you setup a custom curve for the D70.

work wonder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by amirfarhan
    yes. my experience with Capture has been good. better control working with NEF files.

to increase the effectiveness of your images, i recommend that you setup a custom curve for the D70.

work wonder for me.
    remember. create the custom curve in Capture. upload to the D70.

shoot. then edit with Capture.

So, in your opinion, does it mean that you will prefer Nikon Capture to PhotoShop, based on your experience?

Both are of different targets, depending on what u want to achieve. u can use both or either one of them.

I use both .

I heard about Custom Curve as well. Run a search on the Internet and found that it actual controls some tones in a picture. But since this is a line gradient graph, what would be a recommended curve to start off with? As least I can take one as a reference guide.

I know this from the website Fotogenetics.
    My Photo Albums

If I remember correctly, for the D70 at least, when you shoot in NEF, then applying custom curve to the camera does nothing. Only when you shoot JPG will the custom curve be applied. Can anyone verify that?

Smile

I heard about Custom Curve as well. Run a search on the Internet and found that it actual controls some tones in a picture. But since this is a line gradient graph, what would be a recommended curve to start off with? As least I can take one as a reference guide.

I know this from the website Fotogenetics.
    i use a curve output of 141 to 144. this gives me a slight increase in skin tone. nice for weddings and potraiure.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh
    If I remember correctly, for the D70 at least, when you shoot in NEF, then applying custom curve to the camera does nothing. Only when you shoot JPG will the custom curve be applied. Can anyone verify that?
    the custom curve works with NEF. i have not tried JPG.

you still have a choice of whether or not to apply the curve in Capture.

Default Digital is a lie so I prefer JPEG

Hi,

I suspect that the convenience of digital photography is a fabricated lie (by manufacturers to sell their products).

While there is no film to send off to the lab, we tend to produce a bigger mass of digital images to end up:

1) sieving on our home computer,
    2) doing RAW conversion on our home computer,
    3) tweaking in Photoshop (never to perfection) on our home computer,
    4) hence, killing off our social/love/sex lives on our home computer.

Call me a lazy bum, but I prefer to shoot JPEG (highest quality setting for obvious reasons), and save myself some of my time (and life) fiddling with RAW.

Only sometimes I shoot a few RAW but with a JPEG together -- RAW + JPEG (a feature on Canon DSLR - I don't know if other brands have it).

I won't deny the advantages of RAW but RAW has some problems! It appears that older RAW images will one day become unreadable (unsupported).

For more information, see: http://www.openraw.org

Don't flame me. I'm just giving my frank opinion.

Jemapela, I like what you said on your 4 points. Ha ha ha ha.
    My Photo Albums

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Hi,

I suspect that the convenience of digital photography is a fabricated lie (by manufacturers to sell their products).

While there is no film to send off to the lab, we tend to produce a bigger mass of digital images to end up:

Call me a lazy bum, but I prefer to shoot JPEG (highest quality setting for obvious reasons), and save myself some of my time (and life) fiddling with RAW.

Only sometimes I shoot a few RAW but with a JPEG together -- RAW + JPEG (a feature on Canon DSLR - I don't know if other brands have it).

I won't deny the advantages of RAW but RAW has some problems! It appears that older RAW images will one day become unreadable (unsupported).

well. there is always Adobe with its new DNG format.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Hi,

perhaps dats the reason why Adobe is pushing for the DNG format, a free open-source RAW format. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

btw, the DNG converter comes free with the new CS2. others who wish to try can download it from adobe.

dat said, shooting RAW has its inherent advantages and disadvantages. to have a better understanding (b4 anyone goes and diss RAW), try reading up here. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

btw, jemapela, among others, nikon too have RAW (or NEF in their case) + JPG option. and so does oly.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Default DNG? Add 1 more step

Hi,

I briefly remembered reading that Adobe was taking the initiative to do something about the RAW problem, and I appreciate the CS users for their tip-off about the new DNG format. I've not been very updated with ever-changing technological improvements.

Just to poke more cheeky fun, I would like to add 1 more step to the earlier post I made:

2) doing RAW-to-DNG conversion on our home computer,
    4) doing DNG-to-JPG conversion (for web/e-mail/print) on our home computer,
    5) hence, killing off our social/love/sex lives on our home computer.

I've got a bad itch to add 1 more:

6) complaining/bitching/gossiping about all the above on ClubSnap forum

I very outdated! Who has a "copied" version of Photoshop CS to spare?

Blog Entries

I shhot jpegs because if it is not a good shot, it is not a good shot.
    Go and do a reshoot to correct your mistakes.

RAW i feel is for pros where every nuance of detail needs to be perfect,
    and a mistake will mean a loss of money/time/reputation.

RAW will not help you learn to shoot better. (for newbies)

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I shhot jpegs because if it is not a good shot, it is not a good shot.
    Go and do a reshoot to correct your mistakes.

RAW i feel is for pros where every nuance of detail needs to be perfect,
    and a mistake will mean a loss of money/time/reputation.

RAW will not help you learn to shoot better. (for newbies)
    And as again, this is conservative and limiting thinking. The safety net is there for you to use, if you choose not to, then it will always be an extra thing.

RAW is not for pros only, if it is than nobody other than pros should use DSLRs.

RAWs are for perfectionists, people who wants colours & sharpness down right to the kelvin/pixel.

"Close enough" with JPEG output is not good enough when you can and HAVE the ability to make it "correct" with RAW output.

RAW's thumbnail is also JPEG. There are shots that can't be saved. Whereas there are shots that can.

Blog Entries

to each his own, we have discussed about this b4.
    You have a valid point and so do I.

Peace man.
    As said b4 I came from film era,
    so I have this habit to get it right, in camera.

Deregistered

I know we discussed it before, just putting my view again.

And as I said, film is easier to get it right because it's chemical based, for digital the processing occurs after the CCD gets the light.

The CCD only knows intensity of light and not the colour, the algorithm behind decodes and translates it to colour. And it's human made... thus the RAW capability is to move it closer to natural

Blog Entries

old habits die hard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast