Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD in wrong region

Yup! Was surprised to see them here. These China version CDs are not pirated CDs but are supposed to be "distributed in China only" & cost 15Y (tats like S$3), so they're already earning a nice profit!

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    now in the market is super cheap R6 DVDs, from China, at around $10 each for Hollywood movies, older ones. Also available in the market are music CDs from China. e.g. F.I.R's latest album, costs S$20.90 for SG version, China version only S$9.90 !

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    It has been like this since DVD first arrive in SG. It is also because in the initial launch of DVDs, there aren't many R3 DVDs avaliable in SG. So R1, whose selection is wider is the more popular one.
    hey! you're back!

since when??

Quote Originally Posted by ibitemynails
    hey! you're back!

since when??
    Since last thursday. But I only posted in CS today. How have you been?

IMHO, you can try bring back to the shop and exchange for another region 3 disc, just tell them your player can't play. It happened to me once, before I get the current dvd player, the sales at that shop let me change.

Alternatively, get a new dvd player. You'll probably get more R1 dvds anyway.

PS That time I told them their sales told me my player sure can play lah, blah blah, make a little noise tho...

Get a Shinco DVD player - everything also can play. *laugh*

Quote Originally Posted by ady
    Get a Shinco DVD player - everything also can play. *laugh*

Yes, shinco is a good choice, can play R1-9, all the R and RW also. Everything except spoil disc. It's also very cheap.

but if u wan 'quality' sound & picture, shinco not a good choice... (no difference on a 14" tv with a 2 speaker setup...)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Shinco DVD Player is the best .. cheap, small and good
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    Shinco DVD Player is the best .. cheap, small and good

where to get? and roughly how much?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Carrefour have... otherwise sim lim square alot as well..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Not to shun the rest but recent Shinco builds have been getting worst. HT buffs used to recommend Shinco until quite recently, some of them started having alot of problems with their sets.

http://www.momitsu.com/dvd_880n.html
    Momitsu, plays everything, DVI output, can upconvert to 720p, 1080i. Comes in a cheaper version w/o networking as wel
    Agent: Fastlogic at Burlington Square

http://www.snazio.com/Links/Net%20DVD%20Cinema.htm
    Snazio, new competitor with similar features
    Agent: Art Acoustic at Adelphi

DVI output from DVD player is better than component and more importantly, neater cabling

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    I bought a DVD from a reputable shop only to find that it's encoded for region 1. Aren't there regulations restricting sales of DVD encoded in other regions? The DVD has a Singapore Board of Film Censors sticker on it.
    guys, this region thing also applies to Xbox games. so if ur xbox is non-modified, check the game's region code before buying.

I bought a DVD from a reputable shop only to find that it's encoded for region 1. Aren't there regulations restricting sales of DVD encoded in other regions? The DVD has a Singapore Board of Film Censors sticker on it.
    So what issue do you have with Region 1?

1) Your DVD player can't play it?
    2) Cheated by Sales people that it is Region 3?
    3) other reasons?

btw, just on side track... its caveat emptor for the buyer mah...

its clearly indicated in the back of every dvd the region of the dvd. and its buyer's responsibility to understand his own dvd player's limitation. (althou sometimes some dvd box sets dun indicate, and sales ppl should inform buyer...)

You mean even the government closes one eye on this and even endorses them?
    Huh? I'm starting to wonder....

Is there anything wrong with shops selling Region1 discs??

Contributing to the degrading morals of the society? I'd think not. Each DVD that's passed by the censorship board had their age rating advisory (G, PG, NC-16, M-18, R-21) on the cover. So when YOU buy it, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to hide ur NC-16, M-18 or R-21 discs in a high-high place so dat ur 3yr old kids can't touch it.

U expect govt to take charge of hiding ur discs frm ur kids izzit?

By the way... I've got this crappy Panasonic home theatre system from Harvey Norman, suppose to be region 3 system... But it played region 1 and region 6 disc well (while my PC and Mac will start yelling and screaming until i do some work arounds...)

Strange Huh... Put the Code 3 there for fun.

Anyway, now with the new M18 NC16 etc film ratings, Code 1 DVDs and a local M18 version will generally be the same uncut version. Think it's more of an issue back when they even have to chop scenes from movies like Resident Evil and Macross: Do you remember love... (not the best examples, just comes to mind)

(Yay, Anime Buffs, you can finally buy Macross: DYRL DVDs with a Singapore Censorship Board stickers [not like it mattered]... Previously they are usually imports or had cuts, only 1 scene if i'm not wrong.)

yeap yeap... only that scene hikaru & minmei got caught in the room... (i prefer the japan naming than the american robotech naming...)

another anime example is berserk... the code 1, 2 or watever bootleg sure ban, except for the super censored vcd sold in sg... but strange is, are those bootleg from hk sold in anime shops went thru censorship board? i think not rite...

normally shows that pass the censorship board will have the sticker, and now will label m18 and shops are not to sell to minors.. that about it... but i remember there was a time some jokers duplicated the stickers and pasted on all the movies that isn't censored in their shops..

actually 1 dvd til today i still wonder y R1 got banned... Tomb Raider 1, its still a puzzle... maybe they dun like boing boing...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    So what issue do you have with Region 1?

1) Your DVD player can't play it?
    2) Cheated by Sales people that it is Region 3?
    3) other reasons?
    DVD player can't play it. So now I have to hack the player.

Anyone got good DVD player software to recommend?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast