Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY desktop help

Is DOT off on your board? I hope you're not o/cing the processor.. Anyway, you should check the temperature of your CPU as well..

my msg to you may be too late but ....NEVER buy pc for future! Always buy for now. what you intend it to be. Never buy more than you have to. It cost money. If money is not a problem ...we won't have this conversation. Its very easy to over spec when you go buying. So be very clear with your spec & intended use. Posche is not meant for Singapore road neither is Subaru Viki for family road trip to Genting. Good Luck.

1. can you put the original Intel fan back to the cpu? perhaps that'll be softer.
    2. what other problem you have beside noise? list it out, I may be able to help you or confuse you further ....
    3. HDD- partition 20-40GH for installing WinXP and the remainer for your data e.g. "My Document". This way you can re-install XP any time you run into problem (which you will) without affecting your data ...short of HD crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by lhjz
    i did install the core center (MSI utility) but it only allows warning at certain temp/fan speed, not literally set the fan speed.

See if you have this option under "user mode", click on the "Core Center" word....and slide the slider to 6/8....your CPU fan speed will drop from 2000+rpm to slow...it is much quiter this way...btw it is quite normal for CPU temp at 50C....I am using a Thermaltake Silent tower and Prescot 3.0E chip
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 14th May 2005 at 01:36 PM.

i hope i am not paying extra $$ to get 'extra' noise leh

actually i am writing all these not becos i am a perfectionist or a techno freak that requires absolute silent.

i am just trying to find out if the shop has done a bad installation for me... cos they were meddling with my system for 3hrs and can't bring it to boot properly. the guy in charge was definitely a new staff as he needs to seek advice from his boss when he can't set up the system... i was really sweating when i look while he work.

really have to thank everyone for their kind inputs, i learned a lot here hahaha
    its sad that i still can't enjoy my new system.
    hopefully i can clear all possiblities b4 i bring it down to the shop for a chk.
    fear that i might make a wasted trip... taking bus/mrt and carrying the 10KG++ CPU is no joke man
    Well, the way I look at it, most Beng system builders at SLS are as competent as ****. 3 hours for assembly is a joke.

Second, those of us who now DIY our own computers were all once noobs ourselves. I can't speak for anyone else but the first time I built my own box, like 10 years ago, I knew totally zero, but I went ahead because I just didn't think it would be THAT difficult to do, and in the end, it wasn't. Damn thing worked right the first time round. My purpose is not to trumpet my own system building ability - which is definitely a lot less than the wizards I read about on the net - but I wish to encourage YOU to DIY your own system next time, because I feel most people with commonsense and who are generally not clumsy by nature can do it. Definitely better than any dimwitted, poorly paid, poorly motivated Beng at SLS.

Frankly I'd suggest you troubleshoot this problem yourself rather than to go back to the same shop that you have no confidence in anyway.

Now what of your little dilemma here?

It might be possible that your heatsink is not interfacing with the CPU properly and hence the CPU is running hotter than it needs to be which then forces the fan to run at higher speeds - if you have set up the BIOS that way. Frankly I'd remove the heatsink and then reinstall it, ensuring that it's seated properly and just the right amount of thermal paste is used.

Second, if this doesn't fix your problem, I'd suggest you take A BUS back to SLS (so you can save some money) and:

1. Buy a small fan controller that you can slot into your floppy disk drive bay and use that to throttle your fan to a sound level that you accept. A cheap single channel one would suffice.

2. Buy a tube of the best thermal paste you can afford and use that instead of whatever it might be now (I am not sure what came with your CM48 but even I didn't even bother with the one that came with my own Zalman HSF).

then fix them youself.

If you plan to bring your computer back to SLS, make sure your computer is not jolted too much. A 800+ gram HSF can do a lot of damage to your mainboard and other components should it come off in transit. IMO, most big and heavy HSFs are not meant to be moved around when they are in place on a mainboard. If you have to, the computer is best carried flat and not vertically but that's just going to be awkward.
    Last edited by kahheng; 14th May 2005 at 02:47 PM.

actually does anyone of you here has a CM Hyper48??
    like to hear for myself how loud is the noise... preferably jurong east la...
    i buy you drink for visiting your flat.... hahaha

sigh.... at my wits end.....
    Last edited by lhjz; 14th May 2005 at 11:20 PM.

actually does anyone of you here has a CM Hyper48??
    like to hear for myself how loud is the noise... preferably jurong east la...
    i buy you drink for visiting your flat.... hahaha

sigh.... at my wits end.....
    PM av98m, he lives in Clementi.. I'm not sure if he's agreeable to it but you can give it a shot. I was wowed by the silence of the Hyper-48 after installing it in his computer.. And that's in an air-con room suitable for music listening so it's essentially silent..

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    PM av98m, he lives in Clementi.. I'm not sure if he's agreeable to it but you can give it a shot. I was wowed by the silence of the Hyper-48 after installing it in his computer.. And that's in an air-con room suitable for music listening so it's essentially silent..
    Might the computer in an aircon room have something to do with the fan being quiet? You know, lower temp, lower fan speed

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Might the computer in an aircon room have something to do with the fan being quiet? You know, lower temp, lower fan speed

Well, the air-con didn't kick in yet.. Wasn't cold.. Cuz the air-con was a little damaged at the time.. Had to let it warm-up for a while before it starts cooling..

kahheng : my core center does not hav your function leh... nothing show up when i click the [core center] . thinking of reassembling the fan myself but it means i hav to remove motherboard from casing and that implies TOTAL dismantling of all hardwares... its a real pain in the a..

firefox : i did turn my aircon on as well. no significant improvement.

i tried the 60c option in BIOS, fan turns at 2500rpm, slight improvement in noise and temp hover around 40-48c

when using 50c option, the fan turns faster at 3500rpm but temp stays at around 50.

its sounds a bit funny... when using warning at higher temp, the fan runs slower but CPU temp is lower.
    seems like the fan and temp doesn't coordinate well?? wat do you guys think??

kahheng : my core center does not hav your function leh... nothing show up when i click the [core center] . thinking of reassembling the fan myself but it means i hav to remove motherboard from casing and that implies TOTAL dismantling of all hardwares... its a real pain in the a..
    Eh I never mentioned anything about "core center" leh. I would want to take out the HSF, CPU, clean away all thermal paste, reapply with a high quality one and replace everything again.

Eh I never mentioned anything about "core center" leh. I would want to take out the HSF, CPU, clean away all thermal paste, reapply with a high quality one and replace everything again.

The CM Hyper-48 comes with Shin-etsu actually.. Not sure if the shop took it or not..

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    The CM Hyper-48 comes with Shin-etsu actually.. Not sure if the shop took it or not..
    That's a good question to ask

That's a good question to ask
    wats that 'Shin-etsu' ?? thermal paste??

wats that 'Shin-etsu' ?? thermal paste??
    Either that or a complimentary set of Ginsu knives you get when you bought your Coolermaster.

Either that or a complimentary set of Ginsu knives you get when you bought your Coolermaster.
    i got nothing except the box/manual/remainder of the coolermaster brand thermal paste

wat did i miss out man...!!

guys i did a chk on the box... its says " intel P4 3.4GHz or higher and intel P4 prescott 3.2GHz or higher"

mine is only intel P4 prescott 3.0GHz

can that be the main culprit?? they fixed a fan thats not supporting the processor without knowing!?

so what happened in the end? manage to solve the problem?

not yet.. probably start another thread to ask someone to troubleshoot for me with some remuneration loh...
    some extra problem came up like: cannot detect RAID HDD, graphics card not answering to video controller command, USB2.0 controller not detected etc....sighhh

http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/

perhaps this will help a bit.

i'm going to build a system for myself soon too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast