Thread: Shipwrecked chinese coins...

Default Shipwrecked chinese coins...

hi i'm new here. i dunno if this is the correct section for this topic.

anyways, i just bought some ancient chinese copper coins (Song dynasty, circa 1100 AD - 1200 AD), which were salvaged from a shipwreck in indonesia waters, from a coin shop in bras basah complex. I'm a coin n antiques n banknote collector

here's the pics. anyway my collections' gallery is @ http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=384

Hey,
    welcome
    For me, i only collect one dollars note i got about 70 old singapore $1 notes
    Anyway for these coins, any way to clean them up or this is the conditions that you all like to keep at?(no knowledge to coins collections at all )

i also collect s'pore banknotes. which $1 r u reffering to? the orchid, bird or ship series one?

anyway, such chinese coins r usually excavated from the ground or sea, n therefore covered with dirt n patina (copper-rust). one way to clean them is to soak them in vinegar n scrub with steel wool

orchid one i have 2. Bird one i have 3-5, ship one i have abt 60 over
    also i have the old $1 coins the fish series i think. The coin that is very big.

So you do clean the coins and not keep them in this conditions.

Question try this instead

instead of using scrubbing try soaking them in Coca-cola overnight...

that will remove tarnishing... follow up with some light scrubbing after that... steel wool is kinda rough isn't it? :O

Quote Originally Posted by CLQ
    orchid one i have 2. Bird one i have 3-5, ship one i have abt 60 over
    also i have the old $1 coins the fish series i think. The coin that is very big.

So you do clean the coins and not keep them in this conditions.
    i prefer to have the coins in this condition, as i want the original untouched look. futuremore, cleaning all of them with vinegar requires lots of vinegars n time n effort. but sometimes i just soak a few in vinegar to see the b4 n after effects

Cleaning them will only spoilt the value of those coins...pls leave it as it is.