Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention mac users!!

Exclamation Attention mac users!!

critical patches for your macs.

read the story here:
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

said to patch 20 security holes.

good computing habits still a must, i shud say.

Thread move to Kopitiam.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

What? Macs also need patches? I am almost going to get the Mac Mini...sian liao! But overall, I still think Mac is still not as bad as Win.

i don't suppose Tiger users need the security patch, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wingless84
    i don't suppose Tiger users need the security patch, right?
    Don't think so. Just updated my mini to Tiger yesterday and when I checked for updates, only the Garageband update showed on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    What? Macs also need patches? I am almost going to get the Mac Mini...sian liao! But overall, I still think Mac is still not as bad as Win.
    Unless u're telling me u'd never used a computer before, security patches are a must in any OS. Windows, MacOS alike.

The difference between these 2 are the frequency. When patches come once in a long while, prolly still acceptable. But if u're expecting patches, once a week, every Wednesday, that's something really wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Unless u're telling me u'd never used a computer before, security patches are a must in any OS. Windows, MacOS alike.

The difference between these 2 are the frequency. When patches come once in a long while, prolly still acceptable. But if u're expecting patches, once a week, every Wednesday, that's something really wrong

i use computer everyday....but never use Mac b4 and I have nv heard of MacOS needing to be patched like XP. Have the impression that OS X is suppose to be very stable and much superior to Win. But now got major glitches like XP...so..... Yah, OS need patches, but this current OS X one sounds bad!!!

Deregistered

as technology advances, upgrades r required right?

if there r no patches or updates, they will be outdated right?

Deregistered

Even UNIX comes with kernel patches. I'm not surprised why Mac OS not?

Maybe better to use DOS 6.2, no need to patch anything. No internet no nothing. But you need to be careful of the Stoned Virus or the Brain virus.

Piper : Just be thankful they are patching and fixing things. Whats there to b1tch about? Geez....

if you dont want any patch, use pen and paper will be a better choice. haha...

even mobile phone also needs to upgrade firmware sometimes.

so it is only normal for a maga program like an OS have patch to fix their bugs.

Wooou! you guys have mistaken me lah. I am not against the patch, but rather the recent glitches found in Macs. I am actually surprised to heard that the so called "solid" Mac OS X touted by many as "very secure", has a hidden a serious loophole for ppl to hack. Personally, I find this defeat the purpose of getting the Mac and I think i give up on the Mac Mini and stick with my PC to wait for the Longhorn, since there not much diff in term of security btw the Mac and XP now. Maybe Longhorn will be more secure than Mac in the future. (I dunno) . And ultimately, Mac is NOT CHEAP. Cool down guys!

Deregistered

dun be too bothered by all the patches stuff.

sit down, use a Mac, experience it for yourself & u will understand y there r more ppl converting to Mac nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    dun be too bothered by all the patches stuff.

sit down, use a Mac, experience it for yourself & u will understand y there r more ppl converting to Mac nowadays.
    hehe, ok...see how

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Wooou! you guys have mistaken me lah. I am not against the patch, but rather the recent glitches found in Macs. I am actually surprised to heard that the so called "solid" Mac OS X touted by many as "very secure", has a hidden a serious loophole for ppl to hack. Personally, I find this defeat the purpose of getting the Mac and I think i give up on the Mac Mini and stick with my PC to wait for the Longhorn, since there not much diff in term of security btw the Mac and XP now. Maybe Longhorn will be more secure than Mac in the future. (I dunno) . And ultimately, Mac is NOT CHEAP. Cool down guys!
    It is a pretty secured platform frm a security point-of-view.

1) By default, all unessential services are DISABLED BY DEFAULT.
    2) Firewall included.
    3) Open source IDS like snort are available for OS X.
    4) Even the noob user can disable/enable services easily. So if there are any serious security breaches, it is the user's fault and not that of the OS.

And if u think that there is 'no difference' between security in terms of XP and OS X, all I can tell u is that YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. Comparatively, even with the so-called 'firewall' that WinXP SP2 has, it is still NOT a secured OS.

And if u think a Mac is expensive, I'm not sure what u call a PC gaming rig that costs $2K liaoz.

My sister's Mac mini setup is exactly the cost of a brand new PC w/monitor. Minus the headaches and dramatically improving efficiency and productivity.

U are saying something abt 'expensive'?

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    Maybe better to use DOS 6.2, no need to patch anything. No internet no nothing. But you need to be careful of the Stoned Virus or the Brain virus.
    Forget it man. Juz carve ur ideas on stone with a chisel and a hammer better right?

Can use as weapon somemore.

even though i m a pc person, but when it comes to DOS, i still prefer the old apple DOS.

still remember the good old days where u need to load/bload & then run/brun a program. wordstar was also king then & i was pretty fluent in it.

well, this post is just to notify mac users of security patches. doesn't matter who likes which OS/system better. juz as long as it gets your work done thats all it matters.

signing off in "poke", "peak" & "pr#6" with a "catalog"...

(ps. there's this new Sober worm on the loose for windows users, so take note & practice good computer habits)

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    signing off in "poke", "peak" & "pr#6" with a "catalog"...
    hehe...that would be "peek" right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast