Thread: Advice on upgrade after first DSLR

Default Advice on upgrade after first DSLR

Hi guys,

I'm currently shooting using a D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens and after shooting for close to 2 years, I'm pretty sure the hobby is gonna stay so I'm playing with the idea of getting lenses to play with.

As I do more landscape and street shooting, the order of lens acquisition I'm thinking of is: prime lens(50/1.8), then a wide angle lens, then a telephoto for more zoom if needed. Reason being I've hardly zoomed in my shooting; most of my shots are at 18mm.

Hope to get some advice on:

1. Obviously if I'm getting Nikon lenses, I'll be staying with Nikon forever. Is there any reason for me to even consider Canon? (Note Point 3 about potential upgrading of body)
    2. Is Nikon 50mm f/1.8G prime lens too old? It was released in 2011. In other words, do lenses become outdated?
    3. I see myself upgrading to a full-frame in the near future; what should I take note of in terms of lens-buying now to ensure that I can continue using them when I do upgrade. (Note: D7100 looks like a potential buy)

Default Re: Advice on upgrade after first DSLR

Well, for each item that you wanna get, just ask yourself what are you getting that was not previously possible from what you already have? Is it something you keeping missing or just wanna have. Don't make the mistake of getting for the sake of getting. I had a complete lineup from fisheye to 300mm and guess what, I use my fisheye a lot and ultra-wide the most. The telephoto just hangs around doing absolutely nothing, even though I bring it out most of the time "just in case". "Just in case" only came by once in a very long time which makes you wonder if the money might be better spent elsewhere.

I shoot with Canon so afraid can't advice on Nikon details. If you are used to one system, stick with it unless there's good reason to change. Then again, "good reason" can be subjective...

And of course, if $$$ is not an issue, also no harm helping to stimulate the economy by buying more lah.

Why just Canon? Might as well toss Sony in there as well. ;-)

As for lenses being outdated... I shoot with lenses from 1986. They still work perfectly.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Insomwayne View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently shooting using a D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens and after shooting for close to 2 years, I'm pretty sure the hobby is gonna stay so I'm playing with the idea of getting lenses to play with.

As I do more landscape and street shooting, the order of lens acquisition I'm thinking of is: prime lens(50/1.8), then a wide angle lens, then a telephoto for more zoom if needed. Reason being I've hardly zoomed in my shooting; most of my shots are at 18mm.

Hope to get some advice on:

1. Obviously if I'm getting Nikon lenses, I'll be staying with Nikon forever. Is there any reason for me to even consider Canon? (Note Point 3 about potential upgrading of body)
    2. Is Nikon 50mm f/1.8G prime lens too old? It was released in 2011. In other words, do lenses become outdated?
    3. I see myself upgrading to a full-frame in the near future; what should I take note of in terms of lens-buying now to ensure that I can continue using them when I do upgrade. (Note: D7100 looks like a potential buy)
    1) There is nothing wrong with Nikon, if you are used to Nikon, my advise is, stick to Nikon... note that, don't ever fall into the trap of "the grass is always greener on the other side" because it is not true.

2) Nikon 50mm f1.8G is not too old. It is a fabulous lens, it is cheap, it is sharp and it is small and light. Plus... for a lens, 4 years old is not old. Like Rashkae, I have used old old lenses... in fact some of the lenses I have is older than I am (and I am not exactly young).

3) If you plan to upgrade to Full-Frame in near future, then get lenses that are built for full frame camera and not those that are optimised for APS-C sensor. 24-70mm, 70-200mm came to mind.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

TS: do you have the somewhat latent feeling that you are entitled to an upgrade after 2 years? Because: if you knew what you need, you would not need to ask here. But so it just looks like itchy hands / itchy pocket / it's time for something but I don't know what. If you haven't 'zoomed in' in your recent shots, why would you need a telephoto lens? Do you want to become a Lens Collector?
    1) There is a good reason to have a look at other systems as well. Nikon is not the holy grail of camera technology and other formats offer good options as well. But if this sounds heretic / haram to you, then please stick to Nikon
    2) Did you ever hear about glass aging? Please let us know. So far, glass used in lenses is fairly stable in keeping it's optical characteristics. What can become an issue for some older lenses is mechanical / electrical compatibility with newer bodies. There are plenty of websites for this, starting with Ken Rockwell (some Nikon prophet) and others.
    3) D7100 is not a full frame camera. I think you missed something in your homework. Regarding lenses please see point 2. Certain lenses are made for APS-C sensors, using them on FF is technically possible but has side effects.
    EOS

First of all, 50mm 1.8g is a good lens for portraits on the D3100. It was my second lens after i bought my D3100. It's a big improvement in term of image quality for me. Its small, light and it gets the job done. But its not really good in tight spaces or street imo. Get the 35mm 1.8 if u wan a one lens setup.

Secondly, dun always think about upgrading to full frame when u make ur purchases. Unless of cos u think its going to be very very soon. Its like saying i m going to buy grand piano next time so i will pass on the upright.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    1) There is nothing wrong with Nikon, if you are used to Nikon, my advise is, stick to Nikon... note that, don't ever fall into the trap of "the grass is always greener on the other side" because it is not true.

2) Nikon 50mm f1.8G is not too old. It is a fabulous lens, it is cheap, it is sharp and it is small and light. Plus... for a lens, 4 years old is not old. Like Rashkae, I have used old old lenses... in fact some of the lenses I have is older than I am (and I am not exactly young).

3) If you plan to upgrade to Full-Frame in near future, then get lenses that are built for full frame camera and not those that are optimised for APS-C sensor. 24-70mm, 70-200mm came to mind.
    Thanks for the advice!

Just to clarify, the "order of lens acquisition" is more of a for-reference than a i-am-going-to-do-it thing. I just wanted you guys to get an idea of the possibilities I see in the future: the only thing I am sure that I'm buying is the 50/1.8. Everything else is just a 'maybe'.

Quote Originally Posted by snowver View Post
    First of all, 50mm 1.8g is a good lens for portraits on the D3100. It was my second lens after i bought my D3100. It's a big improvement in term of image quality for me. Its small, light and it gets the job done. But its not really good in tight spaces or street imo. Get the 35mm 1.8 if u wan a one lens setup.

Secondly, dun always think about upgrading to full frame when u make ur purchases. Unless of cos u think its going to be very very soon. Its like saying i m going to buy grand piano next time so i will pass on the upright.
    Thanks for replying! I think I'll go ahead with the 50/1.8 since it is not a huge commitment and I want to try it above anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    TS: do you have the somewhat latent feeling that you are entitled to an upgrade after 2 years? Because: if you knew what you need, you would not need to ask here. But so it just looks like itchy hands / itchy pocket / it's time for something but I don't know what. If you haven't 'zoomed in' in your recent shots, why would you need a telephoto lens? Do you want to become a Lens Collector?
    1) There is a good reason to have a look at other systems as well. Nikon is not the holy grail of camera technology and other formats offer good options as well. But if this sounds heretic / haram to you, then please stick to Nikon
    2) Did you ever hear about glass aging? Please let us know. So far, glass used in lenses is fairly stable in keeping it's optical characteristics. What can become an issue for some older lenses is mechanical / electrical compatibility with newer bodies. There are plenty of websites for this, starting with Ken Rockwell (some Nikon prophet) and others.
    3) D7100 is not a full frame camera. I think you missed something in your homework. Regarding lenses please see point 2. Certain lenses are made for APS-C sensors, using them on FF is technically possible but has side effects.
    Thanks for replying!

I'm actually fairly certain about getting a 50/1.8. But because buying a new Nikon-branded lens will be sort of like committing to Nikon already (I'm not loaded enough to 'collect lenses'), I wanted to get some advice before I commit. WRT the listing of the lens-buying thing, the "order of lens acquisition" is more of a for-reference than a i-am-going-to-do-it thing. I just wanted you guys to get an idea of the possibilities I see in the future.

I'll keep in mind point 3 on the APS-C lenses. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Insomwayne View Post
    Thanks for replying!

I'm actually fairly certain about getting a 50/1.8. But because buying a new Nikon-branded lens will be sort of like committing to Nikon already (I'm not loaded enough to 'collect lenses'), I wanted to get some advice before I commit. WRT the listing of the lens-buying thing, the "order of lens acquisition" is more of a for-reference than a i-am-going-to-do-it thing. I just wanted you guys to get an idea of the possibilities I see in the future.

I'll keep in mind point 3 on the APS-C lenses. Thanks!
    The way I see it...

After using the 18-55 for 2 years, I'm sure you know what you actually need in your upcoming lens. If getting a 50mm is what you think you will benefit from, by all means, get it.

Also, the list of possibilities are always changing, who knows somewhere 3months down the road, you get into shooting macro, you will look at the macro lenses or addons etc. So, there isn't any order of lens acquisition. It all depends on what you are shooting at that point in time and whether a new lens purchase is justifiable or not..

On the other hand, just getting a 50mm 1.8 isn't really committing to any brand yet.. It's still relatively cheap to sell off (thou maybe at a loss), as compared to the top end gears.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

TS can consider a second hand 50mm F1.8d, only a s$100 and most likely can sell of for that price. its not as good as the 1.8g but not far behind, I have had both, sold my 1.8g ages ago even though i loved it and brought the 35mm. Only brought the f1.8d cos my gf took of with the 35mm and i need a prime. plus when i go full frame, even though i can use it on full frame nikons am not really that tie down to nikon cos its only 100$. just another alternative for you if you wanna go cheaper

tape your lens at 50mm focal length for the next few outings, if you can not tahan the inconvenience of can not zoom in zoom out, can not zoom here zoom there, you can forget about this 50mm lens even it is very cheap.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio