Thread: Does the Customs have the right to do a body check.....

Default Does the Customs have the right to do a body check.....

......on me in front of the other members of the public?

Returned to Singapore via Woodlands checkpoint on Friday night. We all had to queue and some members of the public in front of me had to empty their pockets and placed the contents on the baskets provided.

Come my turn, the officer ran the handheld scanner over my body. Since I was wearing a pair of cargo trousers, I was asked to empty the cargo pockets which I duly obeyed. He then tapped with his hands my back pocket and the length of my trousers all the way down to my ankles.

I got a bit embarassed and angry because of that. I know that it could all be because of the coming 1st anniversary of 11/9. However, my question is do you think the officer has the right to do a body check on me in front of the other members of the public?

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Does the Customs have the right to do a body check.....

Originally posted by drafting88

Returned to Singapore via Woodlands checkpoint on Friday night. We all had to queue and some members of the public in front of me had to empty their pockets and placed the contents on the baskets provided.

Come my turn, the officer ran the handheld scanner over my body. Since I was wearing a pair of cargo trousers, I was asked to empty the cargo pockets which I duly obeyed. He then tapped with his hands my back pocket and the length of my trousers all the way down to my ankles.

Yes. As long as you're not female...
    I got a bit embarassed and angry because of that. I know that it could all be because of the coming 1st anniversary of 11/9. However, my question is do you think the officer has the right to do a body check on me in front of the other members of the public?

Thanks for any input.
    As long as you aren't female...

Thanks for any input.
    They don't call it a "Checkpoint" for nothing. It's a place where people are checked. It's the norm to be checked so it is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Unless you are being body-checked on the street for no apparent reason, being checked at Checkpoints is absolutely legitimate. At least that is how I feel.
    Last edited by Barrios; 9th September 2002 at 11:00 AM.

freak
    Guests

gee.....what's the deal?
    You sound like your pure angelic modesty's been outraged!!

LOL..

Thanks for any input.

at times when I experience things that I don't like, I always take the stand of the "general public".

look at it this way, if such "pat downs" help catch or at least desuade potential problems, I'll all for it and I'll gladly go through it, it makes me feel safer also.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Blog Entries

A "pat-down" is perfectly normal - encounter this almost everytime I go thru the metal detectors at the airport (for some reason, it always goes off even when I have put EVERYTHING into the basket - must be my pacemaker). For females, normally will ask to step aside and do behind a screen (by a female officer), but for guys, will just do it there and then.

There is absolutely nothing to be embarassed or angry about the procedure. The police officers have EVERY right to do the pat-down. Failure to comply may result in worse consequences.

Be thankful they didn't ask you to go to the locked room for a Full Body Strip & Cavity Search where they break out the gloves and vaseline ....

Originally posted by Darren
    A "pat-down" is perfectly normal - encounter this almost everytime I go thru the metal detectors at the airport (for some reason, it always goes off even when I have put EVERYTHING into the basket - must be my pacemaker). For females, normally will ask to step aside and do behind a screen (by a female officer), but for guys, will just do it there and then.

There is absolutely nothing to be embarassed or angry about the procedure. The police officers have EVERY right to do the pat-down. Failure to comply may result in worse consequences.

Be thankful they didn't ask you to go to the locked room for a Full Body Strip & Cavity Search where they break out the gloves and vaseline ....
    You mean they don't search for your pacemaker in your body cavity?

Originally posted by StreetShooter

You mean they don't search for your pacemaker in your body cavity?
    You're very bad

I was going thru Narita airport customs check; it was abt 2+ yrs before 911. Went thru the detector & it went off, and the Japanese female customs lady asked me to stand at a side to do a check. Search went top down till my belt, and she asked, "Can I touch?"...
    I was so surprised, and mumbled a reply. She touched anyway (the buckle of my belt that is), as she was checking to see if there's anything hidden on the inside of my belt. She could have just asked me to remove my belt......
    Oh well ...

..NuTs..

Originally posted by nuts
    I was going thru Narita airport customs check; it was abt 2+ yrs before 911. Went thru the detector & it went off, and the Japanese female customs lady asked me to stand at a side to do a check. Search went top down till my belt, and she asked, "Can I touch?"...
    I was so surprised, and mumbled a reply. She touched anyway (the buckle of my belt that is), as she was checking to see if there's anything hidden on the inside of my belt. She could have just asked me to remove my belt......
    Oh well ...

..NuTs..
    envy u.. got pat down my jap girl. maybe they should hire good looking females to pat at woodlands checkpoint. then we guys won't feel so insulted..

If it was a customs officer, then they have rights to do just about anything they like, pat downs, full cavity searches, X-Ray (with the exception of suspected diamond smugglers) and even to fill you with laxatives and detain you till your bowels evacuate. They can also literally thow any contents of bags from one end of the customs hall to the other with impunity (have seen it done)

A pat down is nothing to worry about anyway, just wait till you have a customs goon wanting to see inside a locked bag after X-ray while shoving a sub machine gun up your left nostril sometime like what happened to me in Egypt in '94.

This applies to every country in the world that I've been to, and that's over 100 folks.
    Last edited by Ian; 9th September 2002 at 08:36 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Cool

Originally posted by Ian
    If it was a customs officer, then they have rights to do just about anything they like, pat downs, full cavity searches, X-Ray (with the exception of suspected diamond smugglers) and even to fill you with laxatives and detain you till your bowels evacuate.

A pat down is nothing to worry about anyway, just wait till you have a customs goon wanting to see inside a locked bag after X-ray while shoving a sub machine gun up your left nostril sometime like what happened to me in Egypt in '94.

This applies to every country in the world that I've been to, and that's over 100 folks.
    Sydney International Airport security is kinda lax I feel.
    Came back that day, then figured out that I didnt have to throw away my swiss army knife (very small one).

Then again, the Custom Officers there very polite and patient one... unlike those in Singapore...