Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Electric oven advice needed

  1. #1

    Default Electric oven advice needed

    Hi all, need some advice regarding electric ovens today. Any help is appreciated.

    I'm considering buying either this one:

    EO 2475 - Electric Ovens - Kitchen Appliances - De'Longhi Singapore

    Or this one:

    http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PI...ILL-30L-OF1802

    I understand that electric ovens can get hot on the outside. I'm a little afraid that in my small kitchen this can be a little dangerous.

    Does anyone here any experience with this type of oven? If so can anyone recommend if heat loss is significant and also if these ovens can be effective for baking cakes.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  2. #2

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    the maximum it can go is 220 degrees celcius, meaning that you can do quite a bit of work with it.

    i'd go with the delonghi. it looks nicer.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thess are toaster ovens. To be used on open table tops not to be built in. Not going to be fire hazards so long as you follow usage guidelines.

    Full ovens have 2.4+kw heaters. These are only 1.1kw. The heater might not be enough to sustain temperatures when baking.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Don't be attracted by "features". Buy product quality and reliability.

    Delonghi brand has some bad reviews by users in Australia.

    After some period of usage, the fan which is a moving part, may give problems - like very noisy.
    After you finish cooking, the oven is still hot. The fan may be designed NOT to stop for some time until oven is cool.
    If you turn off the AC switch to force the fan to stop, you may be damaging the oven.
    If the fan breaks down after some time then the heat will not be evenly spread. The oven is useless after that.

    What is the quality of the seals? Not sure if you will see smoke at high temperatures.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 11th August 2013 at 03:37 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    Thess are toaster ovens. To be used on open table tops not to be built in. Not going to be fire hazards so long as you follow usage guidelines.

    Full ovens have 2.4+kw heaters. These are only 1.1kw. The heater might not be enough to sustain temperatures when baking.
    But heat escaping means there is inefficiency right?

    The Delonghi technical specs say max. input power 2000W.

    I think the Courts data on Tefal must be wrong, because official specs say 2200W:

    UNO XL - Ovens - Tefal Hong-Kong

    The Tefal has a larger capacity for the same price. I wonder if the Delonghi is more expensive because it is an American brand. How good is Tefal?
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Delonghi is Italian in origin.
    But likely nowadays to be made in PRC under an OEM factory.
    It is more expensive because of the fan (which I think is a bad design - moving parts and high temperatures is a tough environment). And maybe because of the Durastone coating.

    Tefal is French in origin.
    The Tefal oven you have in mind is clearly marked "Made in China". Nowadays, China is the world's factory.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 11th August 2013 at 03:35 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Delonghi is Italian in origin.
    But likely nowadays to be made in PRC under an OEM factory.

    Tefal is French in origin.
    The Tefal oven you have in mind is clearly marked "Made in China". Nowadays, China is the world's factory.
    My mistake on origins. But true, everything is made is China. But do you think there is a brand premium?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Tefal may have higher brand presence than Delonghi for cookware products.

    Delonghi makes many things. They acquired Kenwood which used to make kitchen products. They make coffee makers, kitchen appliances, hot water kettles, toasters, ironing appliances, floor cleaning (i.e. vacuum cleaners, water filtration cleaners, steam cleaners), air conditioning, air treatment and portable heating.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 11th August 2013 at 06:21 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Tefal may have higher brand presence than Delonghi for cookware products.

    Delonghi makes many things. They acquired Kenwood which used to make kitchen products. They make coffee makers, kitchen appliances, hot water kettles, toasters, ironing appliances, floor cleaning (i.e. vacuum cleaners, water filtration cleaners, steam cleaners), air conditioning, air treatment and portable heating.
    Ok.. so +1 for Tefal I guess.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  10. #10

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    Does anyone here any experience with this type of oven? If so can anyone recommend if heat loss is significant and also if these ovens can be effective for baking cakes.
    If it's properly sealed (check this out in person), there shouldn't be significant heat loss. Most people get an oven thermometer anyway to monitor the actual temperature as it may vary from the thermostat.
    The manual will usually state the minimum clearance distance it requires on the sides and back for proper ventilation.

    I'm no expert, but from what I've heard from friends who bake, they favour ovens with fans as it ensures that the heat is spread evenly. Also note that the height of the oven determines the max height of the cakes you want to bake, as you may need allowance for it to rise.

  11. #11
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    WHATEVER you buy, ovens are high users of electricity .... they are not plug and play products. Just make sure your electrician wires your circuit box properly for oven use .... my oven occassionally overloads and trip the circuit box
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Good advice. High current devices can be a cause of electrical fires if done wrongly.



    Stumbled upon this blog by an Indian lady who resides in Singapore and who bakes cakes often.
    She shares her article on an oven from India. Cost is only 1,200 Rupees.
    The Indian Rupee has fallen recently. This is in your favour.
    The price is SGD$25. She bought it in Kerala. You can try Mustafa or get them to order for you.

    She commented in the article,

    I wanted it real bad because the prices in Singapore for ovens is atrocious.
    This is the URL link.
    Meet My Oven - The Cheap, Basic Oven from India


  13. #13

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    IIRC, ovens are controlled goods. For your own and neighbors safety, do get an oven with SAFETY MARK.

    I would think all these safety thingy adds to the cost of the item?
    Last edited by kklee; 12th August 2013 at 10:09 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post
    Hi all, need some advice regarding electric ovens today. Any help is appreciated.

    I'm considering buying either this one:

    EO 2475 - Electric Ovens - Kitchen Appliances - De'Longhi Singapore

    Or this one:

    http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PI...ILL-30L-OF1802

    I understand that electric ovens can get hot on the outside. I'm a little afraid that in my small kitchen this can be a little dangerous.

    Does anyone here any experience with this type of oven? If so can anyone recommend if heat loss is significant and also if these ovens can be effective for baking cakes.
    Since u say your kitchen is small, u shld get a real built in oven. These electric ones are placed on table top. U sure your small kitchen has space for this, with all other kitchen appliances and sufficient working space?

    Bake cakes need fan assisted ovens, which are the built in ones , not these type of electric ones.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    WHATEVER you buy, ovens are high users of electricity .... they are not plug and play products. Just make sure your electrician wires your circuit box properly for oven use .... my oven occassionally overloads and trip the circuit box
    Its your heating element giving u the problem of tripping. How often u use? Once awhile only right?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed



    I remember my aunties baking their cakes, cookies and even kueh bangkit with this type of oven in the 70's.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Since u say your kitchen is small, u shld get a real built in oven. These electric ones are placed on table top. U sure your small kitchen has space for this, with all other kitchen appliances and sufficient working space?

    Bake cakes need fan assisted ovens, which are the built in ones , not these type of electric ones.
    Well the built in ovens are huge, and actually i don't have enough space for that.

    I think you are referring to convection ovens. Both the suggested ovens have fans inside them.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  18. #18

    Default

    Hmm i think the trend is moving towards windowless ovens

  19. #19

    Default Re: Electric oven advice needed

    Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    IIRC, ovens are controlled goods. For your own and neighbors safety, do get an oven with SAFETY MARK.

    I would think all these safety thingy adds to the cost of the item?
    Ovens in courts and reputed places should be safe I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Good advice. High current devices can be a cause of electrical fires if done wrongly.

    Stumbled upon this blog by an Indian lady who resides in Singapore and who bakes cakes often.
    She shares her article on an oven from India. Cost is only 1,200 Rupees.
    The Indian Rupee has fallen recently. This is in your favour.
    The price is SGD$25. She bought it in Kerala. You can try Mustafa or get them to order for you.

    She commented in the article,

    This is the URL link.
    Meet My Oven - The Cheap, Basic Oven from India

    Very interesting. I did go to Mustafa but saw nothing like this over there. :-/

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    WHATEVER you buy, ovens are high users of electricity .... they are not plug and play products. Just make sure your electrician wires your circuit box properly for oven use .... my oven occassionally overloads and trip the circuit box
    Yes ovens can use a lot of power. I guess this is why I am concerned about the insulation and heat loss. The less the heat loss the less energy you are likely to use. :-/
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahmatt View Post

    Yes ovens can use a lot of power. I guess this is why I am concerned about the insulation and heat loss. The less the heat loss the less energy you are likely to use. :-/
    You're agonising over trivialities. 1kwh cost about 30c. Running your 2kw oven for 4 hours is $2.40. Add an extra 30c for losses due to 'poor insulation', your airtime here cost more.

    Don't be be like agonising over which camera, features, brands and end up never taking any photos cos they still don't have a camera.

    For similar price band, just buy and get on with the cakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •