Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would u shoot people playing bowling?

Default Re: How would u shoot people playing bowling?

Go early and do some test shots. Bowling in held in a lighting control envo where the lights are mostly constant so you just need to do some test shot and adjust to your liking and shoot away. Shooting at f4 is OK for me as the depth of field is not so shallow due to the far distance from camera to subject, but that's just me. Pre focusing will help as bowlers will likely be at more of less the same place at the start and end of the throw.

Last time I shot bowling (company event) did a test shot using custom WB, f4 on a 80-200 (yeap, the old and heavy one) and shot at 1/250 with pre focus.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Go early and do some test shots. Bowling in held in a lighting control envo where the lights are mostly constant so you just need to do some test shot and adjust to your liking and shoot away. Shooting at f4 is OK for me as the depth of field is not so shallow due to the far distance from camera to subject, but that's just me. Pre focusing will help as bowlers will likely be at more of less the same place at the start and end of the throw.

Last time I shot bowling (company event) did a test shot using custom WB, f4 on a 80-200 (yeap, the old and heavy one) and shot at 1/250 with pre focus.
    When u said pre-focus, do u mean shooting in manual focusing mode?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    That's one way. The other one is to decouple focus from the shutter button. Whether it's possible for your cam you need to check in manual.
    Focus once with the other button, then leave it untouched. shutter button will not trigger refocusing.
    EOS

Not going to touch too much on the technicalities of your camera setting but here's what I experienced when I covered bowling event in the past.

The quality of coverage is going to be determined largely by how the bowling alley is being lighted. Drop by the place a few days in advance at roughly the same timing of that day's event. Bring your camera if permissible (avoid your large bazooka lens to avoid irritating people as some members of the public might not like it) and take a few shots to determine the best setting for your ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture setting. The lighting condition is unlikely to change much even if you move from lanes to lanes or areas to areas (with the exception with window lighting and your event somehow flow from evening to night). Once you get the ideal setting in mind, you can safely set this manual setting to use for that day.

Shoot raw if you are concerned about WB because it is easier to correct the settings later on. Always bring more than 1 piece of storage card - you never know what will go wrong with it - even if the capacity is more than enough for that day's event.

When photographing bowlers, it is important to know where you can stand to shoot them. If all lanes are playing at the same time, there is not much chance to shoot them in full profile action because of the limited places you are allow to position yourself. There are exceptions but you need to see if it is available. You will end up with a lot of shots with their back facing you and the ball on the lane moving towards the pin. After that, it will be those facial expression shots to capture. Other than bowlers, the rest are likely to be candid, pose group shots and awards presentation.

If this is what you are going to go through that day, you will realized that there is little need for very complex setup. Firstly manual setting removes a lot of the setting constraint. Thing is you need to get the exposure correct - the rest is just adjusting if necessary. Movement tracking features would be useful if you camera has a accurate capability but the opportunity to use them is not going to be a lot. Understanding your camera's AF capabilities and getting comfortable to it is more important. You will need to stay sharp and wait for the right moment.

Lenses wise, it is straight forward. In most of such events I used to cover, it was always the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm. The range is more than enough to cover anything from standard to creative. I avoid flash except for awards presentation just to give the picture the added punch since these are the ones the company and staff would want most. The rest goes onto facebook or company web site to showcase how happy and what was going on - the usual publicity stunt.

If you need to see some samples, PM me and I will point u to the site for one of the bowling event that was covered.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

I appreciate your advice and have pm-ed you.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

No problem. Just replied your PM.

Thanks, Dan.

I appreciate your advice and have pm-ed you.

Both manual and half press pre-focus
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

some bowling ctr have a walking area left/right side of the last lane for their maintenance staff to reach the end of the lanes, if you're covering an even (ie; company event) try to get your org.er to book the last lanes next to it and you can shoot further down the lanes from there.

I have another question.

Just wondering which telephoto lenses I should bring on top of my tamron 17-50?

My available lenses are:
    1. Nikon 105mm f2.8 (very fast focusing, very sharp, rich colour, but restrictive range)
    2. Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6 (very versatile range and far-reaching, fast focusing, average/mediocre sharpness, sometimes cannot focus in low-light, have to bear with the slowness of f5.6)
    3. Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 (slow focusing, good sharpness, quite versatile but only up to 135mm)

My likely combinations:
    1. Nikon 105 + 55-200
    2. Tokina 50-135
    3. Tokina 50-135 + Nikon 55-200 (super heavy; like that I will be using two camera bodies + 3 lenses + big flash)

Kindly advise.
    Last edited by sin77; 21st September 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Why don't you get a van and bring your entire dry cabinet? Will be fun for the bowling players seeing you lugging all your stuff around .. and a big disappointment later when they see how little you have captured because you were so busy with all your gear..
    1 body is enough, you got already advice above. Based on this and your own judging of the lenses you have the Tokina seems to be able to deliver. 135mm is fully enough even if you have to shoot across a few lanes. Keep it simple, have the Tokina lens in a waits pouch or a small sling bag.
    EOS

Your camera have mega pixel right?
    why don't just crop down some images if you need close up shots?

do you think how many people will print larger than 8R?
    most probably will just end up in facebook,
    not all people have a habit of pixel peeping like photographers.

nobody care much about the isolation of background or bokeh, only photographers do that, what people want is just P H O T O S.
    Last edited by catchlights; 21st September 2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Do you think versatile range of the 50-135 lens is more important or the image quality and fast-focusing of 105 is more important?

If I bring 50-135, do I still need to bring 50-200? In the first place do you think 50-200 is even useful for such event that I should bring along?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why don't you get a van and bring your entire dry cabinet? Will be fun for the bowling players seeing you lugging all your stuff around .. and a big disappointment later when they see how little you have captured because you were so busy with all your gear..
    1 body is enough, you got already advice above. Based on this and your own judging of the lenses you have the Tokina seems to be able to deliver. 135mm is fully enough even if you have to shoot across a few lanes. Keep it simple, have the Tokina lens in a waits pouch or a small sling bag.
    I thought always good to bring spare body? (But the D7000 I'm using is relatively new and problem-free so far) What do you advise?

I thought always good to bring spare body? (But the D7000 I'm using is relatively new and problem-free so far) What do you advise?
    Have a look at catchlights advices for professionals. Now: are you being paid (so that you can charge for renting the second body) or is it just a good will job? If good will / volunteer (looks like that to me) and based on your limited experience (see your initial postings) I suggest you keep you setup as simple as possible so that you can focus (literally and mentally) on the bowling players. No point bringing another body that throws you into the decision making which one to use for which moment. Have less options, it will make things clearer for you.
    Prepare yourself mentally what you need to deliver (e.g. group shots, winners, single players, some actions) and get these things done without fiddling around with two bodies, three lenses and whatnot. The basics of exposure and flash will give you enough challenges, there is no need to add to that with additional equipment.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12