Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my comp keeps restarting for no reason ! why ??

One more thing is check your ram,try different slot may helps too>~

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    i juz recently replaced my motherboard and ram to a new one. however after installing the motherboard and ram, the windows keep restarting for no reason !!

may i know what is problem i am facing ? is it the hard-disk is failing or what ?
    hope u guys can help me. i cant tahan the every hour restart on my comp~

For WinNT 5.X, you need to re-install Windows if you change the motherboard to a different model.
    If the motherboard is the same model, the odds are that you're either getting some form of internet/ virus attack or some hardware failure.

Hardware failure includes but is not limited to:

Running the RAM beyond it's capabilities. Set the BIOS to use SPD/ Auto to determine CAS settings etc..

Overheating of CPU and/ or videocard.

Failed hardware. Anything from RAM (there's such a thing as manufacturing defect), CPU, motherboard, video card etc..

ram-failure is rather impossible coz its a new one leh...
    new does not mean working. Try this free memory test application.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

If you are using XP, you might want to make sure its patch with Service Pack 2. Having this restarting message on both my PC and laptop when I first started out on XP. Until one fin day I know about Patch!

and before reformatting, the comp was on to test the restart problem, and before i could do anything a trojan horse came and *tah-dah* all the virus start coming in like crazy...

now i am reformmating it...

thanks all for ur inputs, will update this thread once the reformat is done..

peace... and sigh.. all 20gb of pics gone!! coz cannot back-up, once backup restart again.... sob..
    I'd seen ppl's computers get infected the moment they go online.

And no firewall, NIS is gonna stop these flow believe me. U're lucky if ur anti-virus and firewall can catch up to 75% of those viruses floating out there. Dun be deceived by those silly hearsays that "Install anti-virus, firewall and NIS and u are safe." Ultimately if u dun practice safe computing, u're still asking for trouble

There's one way though. Download all security patches, service packs, etc thru a secured computer and burn them all onto a CD (Windows... bah humbug), patch ur system offline before going online.

lucky i haf a 2nd comp on standby. however now, the reformatting seems that cannot continue, there is always screens to say that the cd is spoiled or file is corrupt.

i now ruled out the possibility of faulty mobos and rams and i juz changed them for a new set today at the shop and the distributor for kingston.

i now wonder is it the cd fault or the hdd's fault since the cd is alrady 5 years old.. and the hdd also... maybe the hdd has reached its lifespan ?? i am still desperately trying to re-format the comp.

hias.. i am very very dissapointed.. still cant get it up and running..

looks like ur hdd prob took the abuse of bringing the pc for upgrade My hdd lasts betweem 8mths-4yrs max. why dont u try tightening the cables for a last shot.

ok, the reformatting was okay, but when installing of windows, copying of files up to the 60-99%, keep showing me missing files. and latest was a killer. showed me the "blue screen of death" was a problem in a file at caused a breakdown.

Memory_management. etc etc etc.. (before this was lots of the simiar problem)

HDD is already 5 years old. tightening the cables was done, and simply had this problem. i dunno how to solve it.

so now its either bring back the Mobo and change it for a better one with top up and get a new hdd.

and now...

Deregistered

I got a feeling it's your RAM.

The last time I setup 2 P4s and 1AMD, I hit problems installing windows at 8%. Changed that piece of faulty RAM and it worked perfectly.

Actually the RAM is not faulty, just not compatible for installation, after installation plug in, can still use without problems. Weird.

ok, the reformatting was okay, but when installing of windows, copying of files up to the 60-99%, keep showing me missing files. and latest was a killer. showed me the "blue screen of death" was a problem in a file at caused a breakdown.

Memory_management. etc etc etc.. (before this was lots of the simiar problem)

HDD is already 5 years old. tightening the cables was done, and simply had this problem. i dunno how to solve it.

so now its either bring back the Mobo and change it for a better one with top up and get a new hdd.

and now...
    I do not know which shop you bought the stuff from but you can try and do a 1-to-1 exchange with the shop for the motherboard and ram. Most shops allow at least 7 days 1-to-1 exchange.
    I buy my stuff from Fuwell where there's 30days 1:1 exch.
    The last time I had a problem with the motherboard, the technician told me to go back to the shop and exchange both the ram and the motherboard just to be sure. Didn't even have to test the board or ram on the spot.

Happened to me before, CD-RW drive was faulty. After changing was OK. As mentioned by others it can be something else in your case. Anyway try removing your CD drive and see if it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I got a feeling it's your RAM.

The last time I setup 2 P4s and 1AMD, I hit problems installing windows at 8%. Changed that piece of faulty RAM and it worked perfectly.

Actually the RAM is not faulty, just not compatible for installation, after installation plug in, can still use without problems. Weird.
    this is true, RAM are one of the most difficult part to isolate esp. for DIY and everything is newly assembled (new parts). you can try to install a different pair of RAM and try again or isolate if any new hardware was installed recently that might be causing the problem.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_SAP
    this is true, RAM are one of the most difficult part to isolate esp. for DIY and everything is newly assembled (new parts). you can try to install a different pair of RAM and try again or isolate if any new hardware was installed recently that might be causing the problem.
    Wow... I was about to go Dual DDR for my next machine, like that without 4GB of DDR RAM very hard to test liao

For memory, try the memtest utility suggested by megaweb. If you suspect it
    is the harddisk problem, various harddisk manufacturer also make harddisk testing
    tool available for download.

ok wentt to screw the man who tried to brainwash me to get the cheap mobo.. now i gt myself a MSI mobo running on a 2.4 Sempron and 2gb of ram and a 70gb hdd, and everything else use back and all running back up again, all 6 fans running, everything is soooo nice and fast again... yay !!

THANKS ALL FOR UR INPUT !!! I REALLI WANT TO THANK U GUYS FOR HELPING ME IN THESE TIMES OF DARKNESS !!

THANKS AH !!!!!!!

i am so grateful and i am crying !!

Hi Glenn,

It me, 2 possibilities with your problem...

1. Hardware problem; overheating. Check your heatsink properly contacted and fan working. Suspected since u juz changed m/b

2. Sasser worm (think affects Win2k/XP only). Patch up with MS download.

PS: Got ur tripod already?

ok wentt to screw the man who tried to brainwash me to get the cheap mobo..
    So.. Can tell us which board was that?

ok wentt to screw the man who tried to brainwash me to get the cheap mobo.. now i gt myself a MSI mobo running on a 2.4 Sempron and 2gb of ram and a 70gb hdd, and everything else use back and all running back up again, all 6 fans running, everything is soooo nice and fast again... yay !!

THANKS ALL FOR UR INPUT !!! I REALLI WANT TO THANK U GUYS FOR HELPING ME IN THESE TIMES OF DARKNESS !!

THANKS AH !!!!!!!

i am so grateful and i am crying !!
    Hi glennyong,

Good to se you are now HAPPY

The cause of intermittent shut down has been suggested by other helpfull members here but may I show some of the many ....

These are not in any order but each of them will do it in the right setup...

Virus (obvious)
    Software clash (often that odd game)
    Overheating of CPU (by over clocking or poor cooling)
    RAM
    Hard Drive (bad sector in page area)
    Overheating of graphics card (cooling problem... have found faulty fan)
    Undersized powersupply (you added new hardware)
    Keyboard CPU sending glitch (true I have seen it !!)
    Plugging in the second power plug to a serial hard drive ( seen that one also)
    Mains power glitch ( the power companies send signals to turn on and off water systems)
    Mains power glitch ( plugged in too close to your microwave cooker )

The list is endless.

Evedently it was none of the above and all is well for you from what I read in your post !!!

Power to you (six fans ?? man I know it is hot there ... but ?)

Cheers

Oh bye the way glennyong,

You will amase yourself with life .... look forward to it.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

hi Glenn,
    Looks like you have a failing power supply that is not giving steady current thus causing glitches that causes the computer to shutdown. If it continues this way, your harddisk will fail for sure due bad sectors created. The reason you didn't have this problem before is that your old board was more tolerant of power transient. Why don't you borrow someone else's power supply to try out (if you can) or get a new one (pretty cheap, but get at least 300W).
    I had this problem before. changed so many things including motherboard until finally the power supply and that solved it. Most components on the motherboard can be tested during the POST (power on self test) and if there is something wrong, you will hear some beeps like moorse code.
    your problem doesn't sound like a overheating problem since this will occur earlier than 1hr, and if you have more than 1 RAM card installed, and the secondary should fail, you should only experience a slow down in your system. You can confirm this by swapping your RAM slots (assuming you have more than one installed)
    Well I can understand how you feel as I have been through this many times...ie. failed computer. I have already changed 3 Mobo RAMs myself.

Hope this helps more than confuse you

Talking

www.apple.com

Click the above to end your sufferings now.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast