Thread: converting your DSLR into monochrome... by scratching off the colour filter...

Blog Entries

Default converting your DSLR into monochrome... by scratching off the colour filter...

pardon moi french... but my b@lls shrink after reading this...

Scratching the Color Filter Array Layer Off a DSLR Sensor for Sharper B&W Photos

really gutsy... but, i can't imagine anyone intentionally scratching off the colour filter to convert the camera to BnW....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Default Re: converting your DSLR into monochrome... by scratching off the colour filter...

looks interesting enough to try on a cheap camera

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post

really gutsy... but, i can't imagine anyone intentionally scratching off the colour filter to convert the camera to BnW....

If you did read the post, it is clearly stated.

Default Re: converting your DSLR into monochrome... by scratching off the colour filter...

You can send your DSLR to this place, LDP LLC - www.MaxMax.com who will remove the CFA as well as the AA filter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    If you did read the post, it is clearly stated.
    i know why he did it... but i can't imagine why would anyone want to do it... whatever rocks their boat.

in case you are wondering, i do know how to read.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

Freaking awesome!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Freaking awesome!
    makes you wonder why buy a leica monochrome, hor?

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    makes you wonder why buy a leica monochrome, hor?
    With the same amount of $ you can scratch 5 D7100s of its color sensor and still retain one with color sensor in tact.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post

With the same amount of $ you can scratch 5 D7100s of its color sensor and still retain one with color sensor in tact.
    Scratch n win prize.

Blog Entries

the tones look flat ... thats a crude hacksaw method of converting into a bw camera

there are other methods of conversion to BW with various verisons of BW available out there for only a couple of hundred bucks

my personal view is to leave the camera alone and use screw-on color filters and/or PS
    Last edited by ed9119; 7th August 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Anybody knows any service to do this locally?
    Reason is i hope to do narrowband imaging in hydrogen-alpha, i'd prefer a proper b/w sensor.

Dumb to me, ingenious to some.

Taking the filter off removes a layer of light loss. Effectively its like getting a more sensitive sensor without more noise that normally accompanies.

Stars are pretty much just white dots unless you're talking major telescopes.

A BW camera is not likely to equal this hack. PS can't do anything if the data isn't there.

I've got some scrap sensors and tried to remove the Bayer filter.
    Here's what I discovered:
    - Removing the sensor glass cover is a bit tricky. It can break easily. Best is to apply solvent on the glue that holds the glass cover before prying open
    - Scratching the Bayer filter with wood will leave some fine scratches. For better results, use lens tissue dipped in solvent

9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I've got some scrap sensors and tried to remove the Bayer filter.
    Here's what I discovered:
    - Removing the sensor glass cover is a bit tricky. It can break easily. Best is to apply solvent on the glue that holds the glass cover before prying open
    - Scratching the Bayer filter with wood will leave some fine scratches. For better results, use lens tissue dipped in solvent

haha... i was about to message you to ask about your progress! i guess it is a no-go? i was following up on the thread over at petapixel. it seems those astro-photographers are using some industrial solvents (which i don't even want to pretend i understand...got lost when they started throwing multi-syllable chemical names... ) to remove the coating.

Tried my luck on another scrap sensor. This time I used a strong thread and solvent to carefully remove the glass cover.

Success! managed to remove the cover in one piece.
    But removing the Bayer filter needs a delicate and long process so I decided not to proceed.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

How would you "process" the resulting RAW? If I open the "mono" image in Sony Data Convertor, it surely applies the demosaicing process, when in reality it isn't needed.
    Anyone familiar with opening a RAW image with something like DCRAW, so I can see if the Sony software is any different? RAW files are indeed mono, but I want to see if they are better with other software.
    Gary