Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: reccomendations?

  1. #1

    Default reccomendations?

    hey all!

    i'm a newbie to photography, and when i say newbie, i mean it! i like to travel a fair bit and i'm sick of using my crusty old no-zoom-no-features just point and shoot camera with the traditional film.. not to mention that most of the time the prints end up fuzzy.

    i'm thinking of getting a digicam and i need expert views on this! my budget's about S$400 - S$600, and i wanna get something that's both easy to use as a point and shoot, as well as being able to grow with me as i learn more about photography.

    i have my eyes on the Canon AXX series, as well as the Nikon XX00 series. specifically, thinking of Canon A95 and Nikon 5200/5600. of course, i am open to more suggestions! i'm thinking of getting at least 4.0 megapixels (in case, somehow, i get a nice picture and i wanna blow it up). i'm also concerned about issues like camera-shake, but from what i know, only Panasonic seems to have those anti-shake technology?

    much appreciated if all you experts out there could comment! one more thing, i'm gonna go backpacking and will bring my (hopefully) new cam along, was wondering if any of you may know if travel insurance would cover for it in case it gets lost?

    thanks for your kind attention! this forum has lots of impressive shutterbugs and i'm hoping i can have a fraction of your shooting talents!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Beeshan
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    hmmm...

    let me TRY to help(dunno if it helps not )

    the Canon A95 wld be a gd start, so wld be the Nikon 4600/5600

    A95 allows u to learn abt some manual features like the shutter control etc. and thats gd if u r thinking of gg more into photography. but its down side is that its pretty bulky for a P&S

    the Nikon 4/5600 doesnt allow as much manual functions but is still capable of some great shots. u can PM espn and ask him to show u some shots. there is this D-Lighting feature which really gives great exposures. great for newbies imho.

    for small compact cams, u dun really need image stablisers. in my opinion. handshakes in compacts can be reduced greatly if u used the viewfinder to frame instead of using the lcd(though everyone is doing it)

    the issue of insurance has been brought up before think they will cover u till a certain amount, something like $3-500 if i not wrong.

    if u want, can meet up with some of the guys in CS, very friendly, if u need more help can PM me, though i may not be the best in helping u lah

  3. #3

    Default

    Correction, Panasonic is not the only company to come up with stabilizer technology. Nikon has VR (vibration reduction), Canon has IS (image stabilizer) etc.

    Its just that most of these companies don't use stabilizer technology in many of the consumer cameras with the exception of Panasonic who has been incorporating this into many if not all of their recent cameras. Canon has the S1IS and the S2IS and the range of IS lenses for SLR/dSLR cameras and Nikon has it in one of their prosumer cameras and their lenses as well.

  4. #4

    Default

    Join the forum outing. I'm a newbie with A85. I join the outings here and made some new friends. They are friendly people, I got some pointers and learn a lot from them on photography.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yah A95 have manual focus, but I find it is difficult to use.. the manual focus screen is too small... maybe old liao cannot see properly...

    In terms of picture quality it is not bad... but I have seen nikon ones, looks good as well...


    Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    hmmm...

    let me TRY to help(dunno if it helps not )

    the Canon A95 wld be a gd start, so wld be the Nikon 4600/5600

    A95 allows u to learn abt some manual features like the shutter control etc. and thats gd if u r thinking of gg more into photography. but its down side is that its pretty bulky for a P&S

    the Nikon 4/5600 doesnt allow as much manual functions but is still capable of some great shots. u can PM espn and ask him to show u some shots. there is this D-Lighting feature which really gives great exposures. great for newbies imho.

    for small compact cams, u dun really need image stablisers. in my opinion. handshakes in compacts can be reduced greatly if u used the viewfinder to frame instead of using the lcd(though everyone is doing it)

    the issue of insurance has been brought up before think they will cover u till a certain amount, something like $3-500 if i not wrong.

    if u want, can meet up with some of the guys in CS, very friendly, if u need more help can PM me, though i may not be the best in helping u lah

  6. #6

    Default

    Hi, any photos to see? I would like see the pictures taken using A85...


    Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    Join the forum outing. I'm a newbie with A85. I join the outings here and made some new friends. They are friendly people, I got some pointers and learn a lot from them on photography.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cereal
    Hi, any photos to see? I would like see the pictures taken using A85...
    My skills no good, I still newbie playing around with my A85.

  8. #8

    Default

    I saw a posting of CS fellow selling his Olympus E-10 for ard 650SGD. If I were u, may be I'll take this offer. 4x optical zoom and 4Mpix and full manual control. BTW Canon PS A series are good and they can use AA batteries.

  9. #9

    Default

    hmm..

    thanks folks for ur replies..

    i'm thinking of going for one of the Canon A series.. maybe an A95? where can i find out the recommended prices and the good shops to purchase them from?

  10. #10

    Default

    Usually we recommend shops like Alan Photo, Cathay Photo, MSColor and John 3:16.

    AP: www.alanphoto.com.sg
    CP: www.cathayphoto.com.sg
    MSColor: www.mscolor.com.sg

    John 3:16 IIRC does not have a website but the store is at Funan the IT Mall which also has another AP branch.

    What you do is you go to the website and use the form/email them for a quote on whatever you're buying and see who gives you the most reasonable price.

  11. #11
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Hi.

    A95 is definitely a good choice. Remember don't max out your moola on the camera alone ... you still need to get rechargeable batteries, charger, storage card ...

  12. #12

    Default

    For batteries, I recommend the Sanyo 2500 NiMH rechargables with a Maha/Original Sanyo batteries. You can get them from EastGear (www.eastgear.com.sg), 2nd floor of Peninsula Plaza.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    KayuTanah (w00dLaNds)
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sken85
    hmm..

    thanks folks for ur replies..

    i'm thinking of going for one of the Canon A series.. maybe an A95? where can i find out the recommended prices and the good shops to purchase them from?
    or maybe u can try on the equivalent, Olympus C770UZ, it have 10X zoom and macro ability...u can learn more....I previously using this brand n find it very good especially the 10X zoom it can zoom quite far where others cant reach which it is good at taking animal shots and ppl expression shots undetected...somemore pics sharp. Example:

    http://www.pbase.com/davezz
    this guy using C770...check it out.
    u wont regret...hehehe

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •