anyone got luck?
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post

anyone got luck?
    More birds, more luck

Default Re: BTO flats = hot cakes?

[IMG]anyone got luck?
    You mean for the 2 rooms? I didn't even bother. Why show support for the government's attempt to make living space even smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    like those no room flat in the 70's
    Wow, horribly small, yet there is aircond ledge & household shelter eating into the living space. Shocking.
    D800 | N 50/1.8G | N 24-70/2.8G | T 150-600VC | S 35/1.4DG

Quote Originally Posted by boxerfan View Post

Wow, horribly small, yet there is aircond ledge & household shelter eating into the living space. Shocking.
    I personally feel for singles, the size is pretty decent. However, I do agree that the aircon ledge and bomb shelter are eating up too much space.

I am of the opinion that everywhere in the world, homes are getting smaller. We just need to learn to maximise what space we have.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I am of the opinion that everywhere in the world, homes are getting smaller.
    Look north.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

Look north.
    Perhaps I should qualify that statement I made earlier. I am referring to cities with a fairly large population, is relatively developed and the homes I am referring to are something MOST people can somewhat afford. Essentially, homes are getting smaller because land is not as abundant as before.

Sure we can always look north for examples of homes remaining the same size but until we actually live there, it's all a case of "grass being greener on the other side."

Do not get me wrong. I am not disagreeing that sizes of homes are larger just a few km away. I am saying that in general, one ends up paying more for the same size as perhaps 20-30 years back. So if you want to pay the same price (assuming that is even possible!), you end up with a much smaller home.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    think this is good for those lower income single looking for a flat.. finally they can have their own home
    wrong ! your monthly salary must be $5000 and above.
    Objection !!!

and also :

The majority of 2-room flats will be about 45 sqm. In addition, the Sengkang and Yishun BTO projects will offer smaller 2-room flats at about 35 sqm, to meet different needs and budgets. These units have also been specially designed to give greater flexibility in the use of space.

welcome to Hong Kong !!
    Objection !!!

welcome to Hong Kong !!
    What's new? Singapore and Hong Kong are always fighting for positions.

Let's look at the numbers. A typical 5-room flat is around 110m.sq. How many people will live in it? 3? 4? Assuming 3 people live in it. Each person gets 36.6m.sq. Its not that far off actually. 35m.sq is quite a decent space for a single. I stayed in a 30m.sq studio apartment in Melbourne for 5 years. At times, my grilfriend(now wife) would spend the night over and we still did ok. All it takes is some organisation of the living spaces.

We have to live with high property prices and for singles who can't afford HDB re-sale or private properties, this is sure a nice way out. Concern is if there are enough for every eligible singles.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I personally feel for singles, the size is pretty decent. However, I do agree that the aircon ledge and bomb shelter are eating up too much space.

I am of the opinion that everywhere in the world, homes are getting smaller. We just need to learn to maximise what space we have.
    Having an air con ledge prevents unnecesssary risk workers have to take during installation and maintenance of air con. Architects are binded by law to be responsive to potential risks in their designs and minimise them wherever they can. Household shelters are commonly used as storage spaces.

Should be EC = hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    What's new? Singapore and Hong Kong are always fighting for positions.
    Oooo.... now, that explain the number of what HK's termed as "locust" we are taking in.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Let's look at the numbers. A typical 5-room flat is around 110m.sq. How many people will live in it? 3? 4? Assuming 3 people live in it. Each person gets 36.6m.sq. Its not that far off actually. 35m.sq is quite a decent space for a single. I stayed in a 30m.sq studio apartment in Melbourne for 5 years. At times, my grilfriend(now wife) would spend the night over and we still did ok. All it takes is some organisation of the living spaces.

We have to live with high property prices and for singles who can't afford HDB re-sale or private properties, this is sure a nice way out. Concern is if there are enough for every eligible singles.
    For my last year studying, I stayed in a room with a single bed, a cupboard, and a desk and chair. Whenever I wanted to open the cupboard, I had to move the chair. There was just enough space to walk out of the room. I put my photography equipment underneath the bed when not in use. Of course there was a shared kitchen where I could cook my meals, but I think add up won't be more than 15 m2.

Was I very unhappy? Nope. I loved the room. It takes me 2 minutes to vacuum every week. But then I live a pretty boring life, never had to hold mega-parties in my room or I don't know, play twister or something like that. Maybe the people who are unhappy about the space are making noise because they are very happening.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 6th August 2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    For my last year studying, I stayed in a room with a single bed, a cupboard, and a desk and chair. Whenever I wanted to open the cupboard, I had to move the chair. There was just enough space to walk out of the room. I put my photography equipment underneath the bed when not in use. Of course there was a shared kitchen where I could cook my meals, but I think add up won't be more than 15 m2.

Was I very unhappy? Nope. I loved the room. It takes me 2 minutes to vacuum every week. But then I live a pretty boring life, never had to hold mega-parties in my room or I don't know, play twister or something like that. Maybe the people who are unhappy about the space are making noise because they are very happening.
    Yours is not a Singapore experience right?

You just have to be happy with what you've got:

Last edited by Sion; 6th August 2013 at 12:04 PM.

welcome to Hong Kong !!
    Welcome to Hongapore!!
    Last edited by Sion; 6th August 2013 at 12:14 PM.

I have a feeling Singapore are becoming like Super heros - learn to sleep like a bat, change clothes in phone booths, wear the same clothes daily, squeeze spinach out of a crushed can, etc. Then you don't really need those king sized beds, walk-in wardrobes, or even a kitchen to cook.

Stop watching TV programs like Celebrities Home, Fashion TV, Super Chef and the likes and you will be happy. You won't be unhappy with what you don't know. Some people call this "Ah Q spirit". Others call it "frog in well".
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 6th August 2013 at 01:41 PM.

wrong ! your monthly salary must be $5000 and above.
    No lah, monthly celery up to 5k, not 5k and above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Let's look at the numbers. A typical 5-room flat is around 110m.sq.
    Yup, that's the size of my 5 room flat. The first comment my Father In Law made after he went around the house and looked at the figure was: Wow, your flat is as big as my 4 room flat....

Well, that's the achievement of olden days gardener, who has 4 kids, 2 of whom are NUS alum, while other 2 are poly alum, and owns a fully paid up 4 room flat which is bigger than my 5 room flat.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 6th August 2013 at 01:54 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast