Thread: Questions regarding combo of afs 17-55 2.8 and sb 700

Default Questions regarding combo of afs 17-55 2.8 and sb 700

Wanted to ask if i were to use the 17-55 and the sb 700,is the flash powerful enough to light up a group of 5 people? basically shots would be taken indoors and i doubt that using the built in flash on the camera would be sufficient..

Short answer, yes SB-700 and 17-55 can give you proper exposure if you're talking about direct flash and group is about 10m or less away.
    Last edited by J-Chan; 3rd August 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Default Re: Questions regarding combo of afs 17-55 2.8 and sb 700

Depends on your exposure settings. You need to understand it first. Exposure triangle, then add flash.

Or just auto everything and pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by nacholibre View Post
    Wanted to ask if i were to use the 17-55 and the sb 700,is the flash powerful enough to light up a group of 5 people? basically shots would be taken indoors and i doubt that using the built in flash on the camera would be sufficient..
    you don't want to use built in flash when you mount the Nikon 17-55 lens on your camera, this lens is too huge that will cast a shadow on the low part of your photo.

yes, SB 700 able to give decent exposure for a group of five, but if you shoot in a ball room with a 5 m ceiling, and you want to do a ceiling bounce using ISO 100 with aperture of f11, expecting a nicely correct exposed photo..... that is not going to happen.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

so basically to utilise this combo,i have to setup a high iso and play around with the aperture and shutter speed right? and yes i once tried taking a photo using a built in flash while using the 17-55 and it did cast a shadow upon the lower part of the photo.So to avoid getting the shadow all i need to do is play around with the iso and shutter speed plus aperture right? just to double check the sb 700 is powerful enough to light up a group photo without casting a shadow on big lenses like the 17-55 right?

Quote Originally Posted by nacholibre View Post
    so basically to utilise this combo,i have to setup a high iso and play around with the aperture and shutter speed right? and yes i once tried taking a photo using a built in flash while using the 17-55 and it did cast a shadow upon the lower part of the photo.So to avoid getting the shadow all i need to do is play around with the iso and shutter speed plus aperture right? just to double check the sb 700 is powerful enough to light up a group photo without casting a shadow on big lenses like the 17-55 right?
    The shadow is caused by the large 17-55mm lens blocking the light from your built-in flash. The more powerful the flash is, the more pronounced the shadow.

The SB-700, when mounted on the hot shoe, will be high enough and to be blocked by the lens.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    The shadow is caused by the large 17-55mm lens blocking the light from your built-in flash. The more powerful the flash is, the more pronounced the shadow.

The SB-700, when mounted on the hot shoe, will be high enough and to be blocked by the lens.
    Thanks for the info!