Thread: Canon G12 help needed!

Default Canon G12 help needed!

Hi people,

I have a 2 years old Canon G12 that recently jammed. When I turned it on, it automatically focuses and locks the focus. After that, nothing I press can change this, even after I reset the camera to factory settings.

I brought it to Canon Service centre and their technician said that the probable issue is that the focus button is half-jammed, thus the auto focus and focus-lock immediately. They say they will have to open the camera and replace the part so is probably hardware issue.

I was quoted an estimated rate of $180, which imo is too ex for replacement of just the shutter button part!

Can anyone help me on this please? Like if there are cheaper alternatives or any DIY Repairs that you know of.

I would appreciate anyone's help very much since I'm a newbie on ClubSnap, thank you!

Hi people,

I have a 2 years old Canon G12 that recently jammed. When I turned it on, it automatically focuses and locks the focus. After that, nothing I press can change this, even after I reset the camera to factory settings.

I brought it to Canon Service centre and their technician said that the probable issue is that the focus button is half-jammed, thus the auto focus and focus-lock immediately. They say they will have to open the camera and replace the part so is probably hardware issue.

I was quoted an estimated rate of $180, which imo is too ex for replacement of just the shutter button part!

Can anyone help me on this please? Like if there are cheaper alternatives or any DIY Repairs that you know of.

I would appreciate anyone's help very much since I'm a newbie on ClubSnap, thank you!

Hi people,

Default Re: Canon G12 help needed!

do not post same message across more than one forum, this is spamming.

thread merged.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Canon service centre already gave u an answer.

what do you think we can do? anyway the 180 is an estimate. just send in and the bill might be cheaper, they will definitely call u to get your go ahead first after they have accessed the problem.

Read this and see if it helps:
    http://www.justanswer.com/video-came...rshot-g12.html

The final resolution by the poster seems to indicate a firmware rather than hardware issue (sounds odd, but who knows):
    FYI: What did work eventually, which could be useful for others who are experiencing this problem is I connected my Camera to my Computer and downloaded untransferred images, and also deleted a few off the memory card USING the Canon Cameraview software. Pronto that did the trick.

3 choices if you need that camera.

1) Pay for the repair since i am sure the camera has bought you memories that should cover the $180.

2) Can top up the difference to get a pre-owned same model in working condition.

3) Trade it in using Canon Privilleged promo and get latest G powershot at a discount.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

The shutter button replacement really requires a lot of labor work to dismantle practically the entire camera and its innards. There're some videos on YouTube u can check out.

180 is ok to pay at least u can continue using the g12 which is still pretty decent.