Thread: Recommendation for a Canon Lens @ $250

Question Recommendation for a Canon Lens @ $250

Hey,

I'm sorry if I asked any dumb question, I tried searching it around for a Canon lens or any other lens that has Canon Mount but I don't really know what kind of lens is a good lens for a $250 budget? I don't mind having a second hand lens, I'm currently using the kit lens Canon 18-55mm.

I checked around and found a second hand Canon 18-135mm for $250-300 and a Canon 50mm f1.8 for only less then $100

I really hope that someone could help me.

Thanks
    - 5T4R

Default Re: Recommendation for a Canon Lens @ $250

welcome to clubsnap.

definition of good lens; lens that you will fully utilise is a good lens, price of the lens is irrelevant.

so even a white L lens you hardly use and sits inside your dry cabinet most of the time, it does not consider a good lens, normally we call it white elephant.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

hi welcome to clubsnap. The age old advice is know what to get, if you don't know why you need a lens then you don't need it.

Your questions is really too vague, though you did give your budget which helps narrow down the choices
    So you need to as yourself first - what are you finding that your kit lens is lacking? (If you can't answer this question then you should be shooting more with your kit lens until you come to a point when you can answer this question)

Is it:
    - not enough focal length range? maybe the Canon 18-135 (but then will overlap with your 18-55 range)
    - need more telephoto range? maybe the Canon 55-250
    - need more control of depth of field? then maybe the Canon 50f1.8

Basically if you don't know what you want to achieve, after buying the whole range of lenses (and thousands of dollars) you will still not know why you are not happy with them
    And the kit lens is really a budget king - good quality and can achieve most photography needs
    Happy shooting

This is not the first time we have received someone walking in specifying a budget but with no head or tail of what he wants to buy.

Can you imagine someone walking into a tool shop and telling the salesman that "I got $5, please tell me what I can buy that is good". The salesman will probably give a puzzled look. But in photography apparently it's common.

Why don't you continue using the kit lens first, and decide what you NEED or DESIRE. Right now it seems that the only desire is to buy something with the $250 you have. So let's just go back to the tool example. You have a broken toilet that needs fixing. You actually need a set of drills and pliers to fix it that costs $8. Do you go in and let the salesman hand you a saw for $5?

that's right.

until you already fully utilise what you have in your hand, than you will know what you really need to move to next level.

anyway, take a look on this, here are some photos done with the 18-55 kit lens.

Flickr: The Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 Kit Lens Pool

Yeah you have to know what you need. Honestly, thinking back, the kit lens isn't that bad. Despite the slow AF and other minor issues, if CAN produce great images.

There's no point greeting a 400mm f2.8 lens if you're not going to use it at all.

One of cheapest lens that come to my mind is canon 50mm f/1.8. Not sure abt the price now, think new one cost $100+. That was my 1st prime lens. Use ur kit lens, zoom to ard 50mm and use that length to shoot for at least a day or 2 to see if that focal length suit u.
    Or ur kit lens not wide enough or u need longer focal length?
    As many had pointed out, get only of what u need, and not want. Used to buy buy buy and some just sit in dry cabinet most of time. Had sold then already.
    Or maybe get an flash if u dun own one (and if u will need it)? 2nd hand 430ex2 or new yongnuo flash.

just stick with the kit until u know what u need/want to buy

If u don't need another lens at the moment, there's no reason to "buy a second lens".

The $ can be better spent elsewhere e.g. flash, tripod, etc if there's a need for them of cos.

Quote Originally Posted by 5T4RB3AN View Post
    Hey,

I'm sorry if I asked any dumb question, I tried searching it around for a Canon lens or any other lens that has Canon Mount but I don't really know what kind of lens is a good lens for a $250 budget? I don't mind having a second hand lens, I'm currently using the kit lens Canon 18-55mm.

I checked around and found a second hand Canon 18-135mm for $250-300 and a Canon 50mm f1.8 for only less then $100

Thanks
    - 5T4R
    From your question, I get a feeling that you have no idea why you need a second lens or what is lacking in your first lens. So I would advise that you don't buy anything yet. Just enjoy your first lens till you know what you really want. What is the use of keep buying new lenses that in the end you will never use?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Spend the money on books, videos or workshops. If you really want to spend it. Alternatively: save the money, join newbie outings, watch youtube videos, read the countless websites on photography - beginning with the sticky threads of this forum.
    EOS

Take a look at the different focal lengths you normal take your pictures at.
    Get a prime lens at that focal length.

For a recommendation,
    The canon 40mm f2.8 pancake is amazing for <200
    #justsaying

Deregistered

Hey,

Thanks
    - 5T4R
    You can try Tokina, Tamron and Sigma lenses. Try a thread in the mass sales to find what you want.
    Maybe you can look into Tamron 70-300mm for an telephoto lens?

I personally like Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.4 but still unwilling to put it as I am not a frequent user.
    Last edited by shaokenphotos; 6th August 2013 at 06:39 AM.

$250 is really not that much in the camera world. Some questions that you may want to ask yourself before you spend.

1) What type of photography I usually shoot? Landscape, portrait, streets, events, macro, sports, still-life, etc.

2) Is the subject that I want to shoot too far for my lens to reach? A telephoto lens will be useful, but not always necessary. Remember you can zoom with your legs if space allow.

3) Do I shoot indoor or outdoor most of the time? If indoor, you will need a faster lens with aperture of f2.8 and above. An external flash will be useful. You may need to keep your $250 and save more for this.

4) Do I shoot more in the day or night? A tripod is required for night photography.

5) Do I have an electric dry cabinet? If the answer is no, please spend your $250 on this first.

Good luck in your purchase

TS is a 15 years old boy, and apparently just started this hobby.
    so please suggest something that is suitable and feasible to his age.

and interestingly, reading from his profile, his has 4 DSLR body with one lens, wondering does he bring 4 bodies and one lens go for outing or just one lens and one body?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    TS is a 15 years old boy, and apparently just started this hobby.
    so please suggest something that is suitable and feasible to his age.

and interestingly, reading from his profile, his has 4 DSLR body with one lens, wondering does he bring 4 bodies and one lens go for outing or just one lens and one body?
    Maybe he got the 4 DSLR bodies on the "pass it down" from his uncles. His uncles may have some unused lenses to try his hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Maybe he got the 4 DSLR bodies on the "pass it down" from his uncles. His uncles may have some unused lenses to try his hands on.
    if so, the sensible choice is to sell off excess bodies for funding additional lenses.

Hey,

Thanks
    - 5T4R
    Unless you die die need the lens now, i recommend saving up to $400 because they open up more budget-ed options like the Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-F/4.0, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 and even Tamron 18-270mm as long you dont mind pre-owned lens. If going FF will be your plan in future, its another thing altogether.

Main difference between 18-55 and 18-135 is that you get more telephoto reach.
    Last edited by Reportage; 6th August 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

if thread starter is a newbie
    then perhaps getting 50 1.8 is a great way to explore how aperture values determine depth of field. it is inexpensive and has reasonable resale value. Thread starter could even "rent" from the secondary market, buying at second hand price and release at same price if tired.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人