Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being a Professional

Default Just do it...

If you want to do it, do it, don't talk so much or think so much.

No one starts out as a pro by opening his own studio on Day 1 of his career. The tried and true path is by being someone else's photo assistant. While giving you enough $$ to avoid starvation (hopefully!), it also is a kind of apprenticeship, where you learn about lighting, composition, posing, etc.

You strike out on your own when you feel that your skills are good enough, and you know enough customers and people in the industry. Not before.

When you make it big, you'll be mentoring a new generation of photo assistants as well.

If you take up the jobs in the banking sector, you will always think, "I wish I had done this [photography thing]...." And once you've been in banking for a few years, you'll have too much to lose by walking away, and you'll never realise your dream.

What Singapore is as a society is unimportant. You are responsible for your own choices, don't blame your parents, friends, or society at large.

Before you enter this field, however, you need to be sure you really want in. A lot of pros find that photography is maybe 20% of their job. Most of the time is spent on marketing. And you may not enjoy photography as much as you do now, once it becomes a job. It's stressful, backbreaking, hot work (under the sun) with ridiculous deadlines and unreasonable clients. For every celebrity photographer like Russel Wong, there's probably a thousand struggling to find their next client and meet their mortgage payments. Be really sure you want in.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Thanks for your support and kind words.

I dont think I'll come close to making a decision anytime soon. I'll be sending out my resumes to the banking sector soon, and while keeping my mind open.
    It doesnt help that Singapore is such a conforming society, and being raised in one made me narrow.

Any real professionals out there to lend a word ?
    Last edited by waileong; 2nd May 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Perhaps a job that doesn't require you to be working like 8:30 to 5:30 Mon to Fri. Like selling properties, insurance or why not selling CARS. Such jobs would have more flexible time to enable you to pursue your passion and you can do the 2 in parallel. If you photo job takes off, you can drop the other.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

do wat u 1 2 do now and not wat others expect of u ,
    cause when u r old n looking back,
    u can say to yourself u have live with 1 less regrets.

I dont think I'll come close to making a decision anytime soon. I'll be sending out my resumes to the banking sector soon, and while keeping my mind open.
    It doesnt help that Singapore is such a conforming society, and being raised in one made me narrow.

Start it out as a freelance first, but I warn you, it's not going to be easy in Singapore.
    Firstly, it's a very small market here, there are only limited car companies and most of the car ads are not taken in Singapore. They also tend to go back to the same photographers.

For car photography, you do need some amount of investment to be able to cope with different types of car shoots. Lack of them just means that you have to tell the client that you can only shoot the car in certain ways and won't be able to deliver the shots that they may have seen somewhere else.

Just Do It.
    Your opportunity cost is so much lower.
    You can afford it.

Wink

If you want to start out as a photographer,it is better to work as a assistant first.i have been working as a assistant photographer for the past 4 years.It is a lot of hard work.Have to carry all the lighting equiment and learn a lot of things from the photographer,the working hour is can be a long day shoot..I am from a full-time to a freelance assistant photographer to Now i just started out on my own.Its not as easy as you think ,cos not as if everyday i have a shoot.I am very lucky to assist one of the Top Female Photographer In sg.I have been waiting to work for her for a long time.I have learn a lot of things from her.

You must be prepare to earn less then $1000 a month,if you are a full time the salary can be from $800-$1000.If you work as a freelance,it like the more shoot u do,the more money u earn but then sometime the money you earn is less then a full-time assistant.

So you have to ask yourself r u willing to settle to this kind of life before you want to come out on your own.

I wish you the best of luck in what u choose to do.

I'm no professional but I think that looking from your pictures, esp the Porsche ones, they look quite good and I think you have the passion and drive inside of you.But the sad reality here is that photography is not very groundbreaking and most who wish to turn professional usually go down the same path, eg. weddings and events..etc..

Motoring photography has a bigger business base in the West, where the automobile industry is practically there in terms of exposure and relevance.Maybe you could try networking right now in OZ, test out the market and so on..

Live your dreams wisely and good luck!
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

marcwong, i can imagine the dilemma that you're going through now.

its feels wasteful to study so hard for a certain subject and end up pursuing a career that has nothing much to do with it.

its like choosing between a paved road and a trail in the woods. scary...

i have no advice to give, but would like to wish you good luck in which ever choice you make.

Got no advice man, but wish U all the best! Everyone I know drops their jaws when they go see your pbase site =)

Better to waste a few years than to regret a lifetime. But got to think carefully. Either way, time can only tell which is the right choice to make.

Go for it! One life only, remember?

And then there's this saying:
    "Most people WAIT for things to happen;
    Only some will MAKE things happen."

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

marc

u can always go on pondering...but i think you need to get down to the business of really takin the fotos...practise and practise and more practises...if you are into cars....get your hands on them and practise shooting them....it dont have to been expensive cars like ferrari or lambos...any car is fine...and the idea is to bring out the beauties of it...and i think it's even better if it's an everyday car that nobody notices rather that the stylish ones that are so "designed"

dont worry about the equipments..if you dont have lightings..then shoot them outdoors...or use ikea lights etc...you dont need the sort of pro cameras if you dont have...the idea is to get the angles, compositions and lightings that brings out the carand the sort of life style that sells it...equipments can worry later...with the accumulated photos...at least you will have a portfolio to demostrate your skills....they dont have to be pro comissions...but at lest on a singular subject to show your proficencies there....with the contstant practises, you will be able to develope your own style, compositions and angles, which are extremely important in such niche markets

And i think you also really need to know about the cars in order to shoot them...the specs, the engines, etc....your knowledge in them will unconsciously bring out your passion when shooting them...and also it helps to let the car companies know that you are familiar with their products...

And i think you really shld not think singapore only...at least regional or even global

Quote Originally Posted by insanne
    marc

u can always go on pondering...but i think you need to get down to the business of really takin the fotos...practise and practise and more practises...if you are into cars....get your hands on them and practise shooting them....it dont have to been expensive cars like ferrari or lambos...any car is fine...and the idea is to bring out the beauties of it...and i think it's even better if it's an everyday car that nobody notices rather that the stylish ones that are so "designed"

dont worry about the equipments..if you dont have lightings..then shoot them outdoors...or use ikea lights etc...you dont need the sort of pro cameras if you dont have...the idea is to get the angles, compositions and lightings that brings out the carand the sort of life style that sells it...equipments can worry later...with the accumulated photos...at least you will have a portfolio to demostrate your skills....they dont have to be pro comissions...but at lest on a singular subject to show your proficencies there....with the contstant practises, you will be able to develope your own style, compositions and angles, which are extremely important in such niche markets

And i think you also really need to know about the cars in order to shoot them...the specs, the engines, etc....your knowledge in them will unconsciously bring out your passion when shooting them...and also it helps to let the car companies know that you are familiar with their products...

And i think you really shld not think singapore only...at least regional or even global
    Photography is my passion, Cars are my obsession. I begin drawing cars on HDB walls when I was 5... haha... . It'll be fantastic if I could work with both.
    Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12