Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

  1. #1

    Default Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    hi folks! I'll be heading to Taiwan soon, and one of my must-go and must-do item is to visit the famous night markets like Shihlin and Raohe. Would like to ask those who have been to Taiwan whether the street vendors at the night markets are ok with their photos being taken by tourists?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by 253sapathfinder View Post
    hi folks! I'll be heading to Taiwan soon, and one of my must-go and must-do item is to visit the famous night markets like Shihlin and Raohe. Would like to ask those who have been to Taiwan whether the street vendors at the night markets are ok with their photos being taken by tourists?
    Yes, its ok.
    The people in Taiwan are one of the most friendly I have seen. You will often see many tourist and even local snapping pictures of the street vendors.
    As a standard rule, just give them a friendly smile and if they stop you from taking photo, just move away.
    Enjoy the trip

  3. #3

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    like what Yewkwang says.

    other people who don't mind include the cute girls on the streets

    just make sure that their boyfriends are not around

  4. #4

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by 253sapathfinder View Post
    hi folks! I'll be heading to Taiwan soon, and one of my must-go and must-do item is to visit the famous night markets like Shihlin and Raohe. Would like to ask those who have been to Taiwan whether the street vendors at the night markets are ok with their photos being taken by tourists?
    yup! just smile more

  5. #5

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Not in my case, when i tried takin photos i got those crossed hand gestures and shaking heads. Some vendors are ok but not those illegal ones(those that dissappear when policemen goes by on patrol).Smiles didnt help much. We were using dslrs tho maybe it looks more intimidating?

  6. #6
    Senior Member blueskye168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    AVPS
    Posts
    2,875

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    All I can say is pretty all right...cos throughout my stay in Taiwan last Nov, no problem at all when taking photos in their night markets ( ...at those stalls/shops...) and other areas as well...(...was using my Nikon D90=Sold and D5100=Sold, Tokina-AF12-24f4Mark2 and AFS18-105VR, and Sony-TX5=so good, still with me, back then......hehee...from early mornings to late nights daily for 8 solid days/nights, which made me wanna change to as light-cams as possible from now onwards/traveling...)!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 28th July 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Most of them seem quite used to tourists with cameras. But as always, exercise basic courtesy. No harm asking if in doubt. When vendors are busy with clients, sometimes not too difficult to grab a couple of candids while they're preparing food, etc. I find that it helps if you buy something from them, drop some chit-chat/greeting... etc. That way, you become a customer who's interested in bringing some memories home, instead of that-stranger-with-a-camera.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Most of them seem quite used to tourists with cameras. But as always, exercise basic courtesy. No harm asking if in doubt. When vendors are busy with clients, sometimes not too difficult to grab a couple of candids while they're preparing food, etc. I find that it helps if you buy something from them, drop some chit-chat/greeting... etc. That way, you become a customer who's interested in bringing some memories home, instead of that-stranger-with-a-camera.
    I'm that stranger with a camera

  9. #9

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    I'm that stranger with a camera
    Me too — Couldn't possibly have purchased something from everyone, could I?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    The Ricoh GR series, whether digital or GR, is great for this kind of purpose... especially with the snap focus function... it works like a charm.

    if u r on a budget, get the Ricoh GR Digital IV now at less than SGD400.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Wow! Thanks a lot guys! I'll probably play safe and take pics of street vendors whom I patronise. Which means I'm gonna bust my waist when I come back! Oh well, for the sake of learning photography, some sacrifice is needed

  12. #12

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by 253sapathfinder View Post
    Wow! Thanks a lot guys! I'll probably play safe and take pics of street vendors whom I patronise. Which means I'm gonna bust my waist when I come back! Oh well, for the sake of learning photography, some sacrifice is needed
    you don't have to. even if you don't purchase anything from them, they won't chase you away for taking photos.

    unless of course... you're photographing the men looking at the prawnography sold on the streets

  13. #13

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Just to add, I certainly didn't mean to recommend what I described as protocol to follow, or that vendors expect you to do that. They don't. I also mentioned that most are really very used to tourists and will just bochup you. You'll just blend in if you're taking a quick shot, unless you intend to stand in front of them and machine gun for 10 mins.

    Just that I noticed those situations when I was patronizing a stall seemed easier in retrospect. E.g., I have a very good reason to stand there for 5-10 mins while my food is getting prepared (if it's a very popular/crowded stall). My suggestion was really for people who're worried or uneasy about shooting in an unfamiliar environment; it might be one way to start getting your feet wet. I'd encourage you to try taking some risks once you get warmed up and gain some confidence. Who knows, if you play it too safe, your photos may end up all looking the same, or boring. Have fun!
    Last edited by kandinsky; 30th July 2013 at 01:24 AM.

  14. #14
    Member adesmond2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    All I can say is pretty all right...cos throughout my stay in Taiwan last Nov, no problem at all when taking photos in their night markets ( ...at those stalls/shops...) and other areas as well...(...was using my Nikon D90=Sold and D5100=Sold, Tokina-AF12-24f4Mark2 and AFS18-105VR, and Sony-TX5=so good, still with me, back then......hehee...from early mornings to late nights daily for 8 solid days/nights, which made me wanna change to as light-cams as possible from now onwards/traveling...)!!
    Hi Bro, since you mentioned, you went during Nov which is pretty cold.. Will it cause any issues to our lens?

    Any preventative measures need to be done? :P

  15. #15

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Heh my friend and i was in japan last dec and we went crazy, we buried our cams- mine d700 with 35/f2 and his a Ricoh GXR with a zeiss lens in snow for abt 2 to 3 mins. Wiped it clean afterwards and resume shooting no issues.

  16. #16
    Senior Member blueskye168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    AVPS
    Posts
    2,875

    Default Re: Taking photos of night market street vendors in Taiwan?

    Quote Originally Posted by adesmond2 View Post
    Hi Bro, since you mentioned, you went during Nov which is pretty cold.. Will it cause any issues to our lens?

    Any preventative measures need to be done? :P
    Hi bro Desmond, yes it was pretty cold for my family, but not for me as I verydon't like hot one-ahhh...BUT hor... when I reached one of the HIGH Mountain top where I did experience some shortness-of-breath=too high lower oxygen level in the air...somehow I started to feel cold as I/we were told was about 5-6 degree on Top...hahahaa!!!!!


    Well, just relax and enjoy the many-to-come expansive awesome mountain views...hmm...I'm simply loving them all...yes till now still...very memorable trip to Taiwan indeed...!!!!!!!!!


    As I've listed down those three "toys" that I brought along during the trip...yours should be better since it's D5200...mine was D5100 & D90 then (now both=SOLD already liao)...!!


    Btw, since you'd asked...I'd gladly say during that time of the year with lots of rainfalls, just have to be very careful to not let water-droplets land on the hotshoe contact point...and don't know whether do you've the habit of covering somehow with both your whole-hands "sheltering" methods when taking/shooting in very light & occasional drizzle (...so far all went well cos I sparingly used=only those 'Must-Not-Miss-Shot', the rest all with heavier-to-splashing-rains were captured=done by my genuinely trustySONY-TX5...without fails or doubts, which is why this is the ONLY digi-cam that's got the longest stay with me till to-date...really can't go travels without one(...withstand certain extend of waterproof+shockproof+freezeproof+dropproof...!!!) , as it's indeed very handy when in times of unexpectedly occurrences eg. knocks on crowded tourists spots, must-not-miss-even-raining-shot/s, etc, bad weather/s "pop-up"...most of the time I was using my hat as shelter-when-taking pics...hahahaa...got the idea now..., bro?!?!



    Hope my above experiences helps you somehow...hehee...yes reminds me of my Goldcoast trips some years back then, went mid of the year...thereabout, if I recalled correctly...was 'enjoying' that favourite cool temp of around 12+/- degree and night-out was 7-9 coldness at these was then felt...lol...hehee...thereabout...yea...!!


    Now even after so many months, all my 3-toys were still no sign of any "sickness"...its NIKON perhaps, LOL...!!!!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 8th August 2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: amended some "missing" words=handy+loving
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •