Thread: panorama

Default panorama

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition, panorama stitching, postprocessing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    give a panoramic view of Singapore city view.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    taken on a sunny afternoon, multiple shots were taken and stitched with hugin.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I liked the red HDB that stands out, the curve of the grassland and the contrast between the green and blue sky
    some distortion are hard to get rid of, and exposure is not entirely balanced between shots.

Default Re: panorama

composition - no prominent subject to catch my attention. just a normal pano image.
    Stitching - nowadays even free software do a wonderful job.
    postprocess - exposure n color n contrast looks fine.

city view - what is ur definition of city, to me this is residential area, not city, so it is subjective. maybe u trying to tell people its a garden city? but now it think singapore is more like city garden.
    maybe if u pick a more interesting foreground rather than just the grassland outside chinese garden?
    maybe night or during magic hour is better?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Yeah, this isn't really a city view of Singapore to me either. There's no real subject - the red HDB doesn't really make a subject to me - so there's nothing really interesting about it. Sorry. You've done a good job technically with the panorama, though - the stitching and even the exposure looks fine to me
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

need more head room
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi, in addition to what the others have mentioned, I feel that the heavy foliage on the right seems to be a little distracting.

Thank you, that is noted, it can be cropped and removed.

thank you for your input. as denniskee pointed out, nowadays the software are smart enough to do the job, I just did some minor adjustments.
    my panorama shot do not usually have a very strong subject, well I guess panorama is to show the overall view of the scene, try to bring the feeling of as if being there. In your opinion, what would be a good subject to add on the picture, and how much of the frame it should take up? would like to learn from you guys.

thank you for your comments.

My personal view is that pano doesn't means have to swallow the entire scenes from left to right, or whole 360. What if I use ultra wide to compose the scene than correct perspective distortion than crop? Yes is not look as sharp as 2-3 photo stitch pano but it does look like one right? Like wise if I don't have ultra wide I can choose to stitch few photos together. Since u were at chinese garden, I believe there must be some scene / interesting subject that u can try crop out (with ur imagination before taking the shot) a portion of it to form a good composition.

if u were there during weekends, i m sure there r people flying kite n playing cricket in the field u shot, maybe can try composing that?
    Last edited by denniskee; 26th July 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Sometimes a multi row pano works better than single row.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"