Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimal Settings For Fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by RockPopCorns
    may I know what's black card technique?
    and its only work for fireworks shots?

thanks.
    Black card technique is where you have your shutter open for an extended period and you use a black coloured card to block the light from hitting the film/sensor when you are waiting for the next burst of fireworks.

This technique can be used elsewhere, just that I can't think of any right now. hehe...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Black card technique is where you have your shutter open for an extended period and you use a black coloured card to block the light from hitting the film/sensor when you are waiting for the next burst of fireworks.

This technique can be used elsewhere, just that I can't think of any right now. hehe...
    Thanks..oic..

can I put it as like multiple exposure on film body to digital body (D70) using this technique??

and anything to look out for like if what angle to slot the black card in front of the lens??

I believe to set the camera to bulb mode right?

thanks..

Angle: Right angles if possible

Yea, set the camera to bulb mode.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Angle: Right angles if possible

Yea, set the camera to bulb mode.
    thanks pal,

you are fast..

how to set to bulb mode for nikon d70 without using any remote ?

Quote Originally Posted by chercm
    erm, just set it to bulb mode lo? not sure how its like for D70, but for my cam, in tv mode, just keep decreasing e speed and it will go to bulb mode...

as what Arcanic said, on D70, the dial for controlling shutter speed, turn it till you see "bulb" displayed on top LCD. this is purely allowing you to control when to start taking and end mode.
    then again, without remote, you will need to use finger press on shutter release till the end of exposure. in situation like fireworks, it serve no purpose, camera sure shake.

sometimes some of my fireworks get overexposed into a white patch, sometimes they are underexposed. i am using 3s f10 constant. some of them are nicely captured, some not.

does it mean that i have to change my shutter speed constantly, depending on the light intensity of the fireworks?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    sometimes some of my fireworks get overexposed into a white patch, sometimes they are underexposed. i am using 3s f10 constant. some of them are nicely captured, some not.

does it mean that i have to change my shutter speed constantly, depending on the light intensity of the fireworks?

I too have the same thing happened... found that it is better to set to Bulb and use a black cardboard. This means every shoot have different exposure depending on intense the fireworks is.

My shots this time were mediocre

And what is bugging me is that I brought along the black card but decided not to use it and when seeing how intense the fireworks was was too late to take out and reset the camera, I guess this is part of the learning curve.

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 3rd May 2005 at 08:20 AM.

6secs not too long?

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon
    6secs not too long?
    depending on situation/settings etc
    on a rough guide, anywhere between 3-6 secs is more or less ok...

Remember when you take fireworks it all depends on the fireworks and the camera settings go after it! If you get what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RockPopCorns
    as what Arcanic said, on D70, the dial for controlling shutter speed, turn it till you see "bulb" displayed on top LCD. this is purely allowing you to control when to start taking and end mode.
    then again, without remote, you will need to use finger press on shutter release till the end of exposure. in situation like fireworks, it serve no purpose, camera sure shake.
    but the problem i cannot find this bulb setting

but the problem i cannot find this bulb setting
    Just turn your dial (one beside the AE lock) to maximum and you'll get to Bulb.

../azul123

what for turning to the max ?

what for turning to the max ?
    you have to set your camera to manual mode before selecting BULD by using the shuttle dial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12