Thread: D70s or 350D ?

Default D70s or 350D ?

Hi all!

I intend to buy a DSLR for general photography i.e family & pet shots, portrait, travel, work and occasional low-light photograhy. After much research, i've narrowed my choices down to the D70s and 350D. I was previously a Sony 707 user so I don't have any existing equipment to sway me either side.

Could anyone advise me on the following ?

1) How long does it take for the built-in flash to re-charge before I can take the next shot ? Question applies to D70s (D70) and 350D users.

2) Generally, I find that the D70 takes very color-rich pictures compared to the 300D. Is that the case ?

3) It also seems that Canon lens are moving very fast at the B&S section compared to Nikon lens as well. Hence, would it be advisable to invest in a Canon system instead ?

4) Continous shooting; I'm confused by when it says the D70s can shoot 144 jpegs and 350D, 14 jpegs. If I use a 1G CF card, does that mean I can take only 14jpegs on the 350D before the buffer is filled? Does the same apply for D70(s) ?

5) High Speed Sync; D70s = No, 350D = yes, with EX series Speedlight. How will that affect me ?

6) Is the mirror lock-up function important ?

I'm actually leaning towards the D70s because of the spotmetering functions, high-speed shutter. But the 350D's battery grip and wide-availablilty range of lens are very tempting as well.

If I still can't decide by next week, I'll probably toss a coin and decide which system to go for !

2) what i understand is that d70 takes slightly underexposed pictures which makes for better post processing with more highlights, while 300d, being more consumer orientated, already had its saturation boosted up. Alternatively, D70 does offer customs curves that u can load and that makes rather good out of cam jpegs

A lot depends on the lens and the post processing.

4) Yes, the 350d can take exactly 3 frames per second for just 14 shots, after that, it gets a bit slower...think it hits 1.something frame a second. If u use a fast CF, maybe can squeeze a couple more out.
    For D70, yep, because it supports faster write speed to the CF card and has a larger buffer.

5) i think both has X-sync, and that of the D70 is higher. Well, do u use it? IF not, no point.

6) MLU, well, do u need it? If u do, its impt.

My opinion, D70 really win in terms of functions and feel. It feels good to hold, got a decent kit lens to start u with ( i suggest u get the body and get a sigma 18-125 instead though, cost its only 200 bucks more than kit lens, but more versatile). I dun like the viewfinder though, a bit constrained.

350d wise, it feels small to me. I don't really like it, but its very decent. Its got a good sensor, and that's what wins d70 ( dun flame me...)
    If u got a bit more moolah, the 20d is the way to go....

1) Very fast most likely as Li-ion batteries are generally good at supplying higher currents. But the results from built-in flash are seldom satisfactory. Compared to external flashes - a . they don't bounce, direct flash causes harsh shadows and unnature highlights. b. they are weak - not enough to cover longer ranges. c. They don't have the ability to sync with high speed shutters.

2) From colorchart tests, 300D has better color accuracy than D70, which intensionally reduce saturation for most colors except reds(the best so far is Panasonic FZ5...). Out of camera, D70 JPEGs have duller look in general but still have higher chance of blown-out highlights than 300D. You may try using the customized curves, or simply shoot raw. There's nothing wrong with the CCD and such in D70, just the in-camera software is not tuned correctly. Note that sometimes the auto White Balance in D70 is less reliable than in 300D, meaning it may be technically ok but looks odd.

3) It's hard to say. A lot of people buy things they don't really need - or they just want to play with them for a while. Generally speaking both have a huge colletion of lenses to choose from and optically they are comparable. Canons are better in their top class, while Nikon's consumer range zooms are likely to have slightly better optical quality over the Canon equivalents. Seeing secondhands flying around isn't bad at all, it simply means there's the market, and the stuffs are tough enough to serve several users.

4) If you are seriously using continuous drive - go D2Hs/D2X/1D Mk2 etc. And ... are you gonna shoot some 10 or 20 continuously? Most likely it's about being able to trigger at the right moment, and not get stuck because the buffer is full - in this sense, both cameras are more than adequate.

5) High-Speed-Sync is used (most likely) for outdoor portrait shots in bright sun(which is often the case here). You wanna use a large apature to blur the background, and at the mean time use the flash to fill-in the subject's shadowed face - without High-Speed-Sync, you are stuck to shutter speeds lower than 1/500sec(D70) or 1/200(300D), which will heavily over expose your shots.
    However, a work-around is Neutral Density Filters. But there are (rare) cases where even a single ND8 isn't enough.

6) It's useful when it is. Simply means there's no mirror vibration during the actual shot but you can't use the viewfinder when it's been activated. Used when extreme clarity is needed or when your tripod is not heavy enough.

D70/D70s uses a electronic shutter(CCD control circuit) to handle higher shutter speeds while 300D/350D are both purly electro-mechanical.
    Spot-metering is not a big issue to me. Canon's center area is about 9% and with proper use it's good for most cases. When shooting in difficult lightings as in concerts, simply dial down the EV compensation by one or so.
    I think the size does matter as well. Go to those shops and try each with a lens of reasonable size on it. I went for a second hand 300D because the 350D is too small and D70 simply doesn't have a original grip (3rd party fully functional ones require camera modification).

Hi cosycatus/grantyale,

When reading through camera reviews, I find that there are many terms that is difficult to comprehend and I could not understand the advantages one over another. Some of your replies have made the picture clearer, for that, I thank both of you!

Then again, answers to a question usually breeds more questions.... for example...

1) Seems that both systems are on par here so no issue.

2) Looking at many sample pictures taken by the D70, 300D and 350D, I kinda like the pictures taken by D70 better. But it could be due to the skills & techniques of the photographer rather than the equipment. Personal view; Nikon seems to do better in indoor shots (to my liking!)

3) Agreed. It's a good thing actually. More Canon accessories MIGHT mean more users = more people to ask for help!

4) So, let me see if I've gotten this right. Say for the 350D, it will take pictures at 3 fps till 14 frames, after that, it will still continue but at a slower rate till the card's out of space ?

5) High-Speed-Sync : Sounds like external flash at high shutter speed. It's not very important to me since I prefer to use natural light for my shots.

6) MLU : Used to take long exposure shots ? I 'm under the impression that the shutter speed is key factor here?

Glad you did read through those...I myself was scared looking back at it.

2) Whichever, both are great cameras. There's really nothing A can do and B simply can't

4) True. But under what circumstances are you willing to get stuck with a fixed (and low) frame rate? 0.3 seconds interval seems short, but a lot of times it's just one single picture that matters and that may not fall right on any of those fixed 0.3 sec marks. Normal reaction time for visual signal to finger is 0.2 seconds and there's about 0.1sec of mirror rising time- but we are able to predict the moment and trigger with the lag in mind. Besides, even when shooting continuously, some 10 frames is usually enough(last generation's Canon 10D does about that).

5) Using natural light doesn't conflict with flash. The use of flash here is meant to be weak and just to touch up the shadows a bit and probably give a little catch light in the eyes of the model.

6) If you have a tripod that's sturdy enough, most likely you won't use it. Worst case - you cover the lens with a hat, open the shutter, and remove the hat.

4) Point taken and agreed. Used to miss alot of shots with my 707. The frustration is immeasurable.

5) Interesting point on the use of built-in flash though. Again, experience with my 707 almost always produces a over-exposed picture especially at night. Had to use a tissue papers to diffuse the flash in order to get better pictures.

6) I'm reading that the MLU function is a good-to-have but not a must-have here.

Thanks for the input; it's very much appreciated !

Your queries are not really that important since you're new to this. What does affect a my decision in getting a cam is knowing how it feels in your hand, that is the grip. Which do u feel more comfortable in your hands?

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade05
    5) Interesting point on the use of built-in flash though. Again, experience with my 707 almost always produces a over-exposed picture especially at night. Had to use a tissue papers to diffuse the flash in order to get better pictures.
    I'm not referring to the built-in flash nor the use of flash in night. When shooting in strong direct sunlight, there're always a lot of harsh shadows under the model's eyes, nose and chin. Also, there may be cases where sunshine is moderate and at a low angle, but the backlighting the subject. Then the flash is useful to balance the lighting.

707's over exposure may be due to its TTL flash exposure measurement error. The new TTL algorithms from both Canon and Nikon takes subject distance into consideration and that helps with those close-up flash shots.

Just IMHO as a newbie, I feel that actual fiddling with the 2 cams on the buttons layout, controls, gripping and which design pleases you are far more important as you would not go wrong choosing between one from both outstanding models.

I have been using prosumer cams like you all the while. If the MP is not important to you or if you do not know what the additional functions are needed for, I would say wait for the D50 in June. just me 2cents worth of opinions

I went down to Harvey Norman and had a feel of both the D70 and 350D. The D70 is very nice to hold and the 350D is very small, I've yet to try the 350D with grip though.

Design/layout wise, I prefer the 350D's layout. I'll get the 350D by next week if the battery grip improves the overall handling of the camera. Thanks everyone for the input!