Thread: Questions on PDA phone

Default Questions on PDA phone

My Palm V finally died on me after about 5 years of usage and am thinking of getting a PDA phone cos my mobile phone is also more than 2 years old already. I hope current PDA phone owners or anyone familiar with PDA phones can help me with these questions.

1) Understand that the PDA phone must have Wi-Fi feature to enable surfing the net wirelessly, correct ? What's the speed like ?

2) Any extra charges for surfing the net using the PDA phone ? Like deducting the amt of time you spent on surfing from your airtime ?

3) Or must I subscribe to another separate plan with the service provider to enable surfing the net using the PDA phone ?

Thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    1) Understand that the PDA phone must have Wi-Fi feature to enable surfing the net wirelessly, correct ? What's the speed like ?
    Using Wi-fi can enable you to connect to a wireless network and to internet if the networks allows. If you are talking about wireless broadband, yes, you need Wi-fi.

Alternatively, you can connect through GPRS or dial up. So you don't really need Wi-fi.

2) Any extra charges for surfing the net using the PDA phone ? Like deducting the amt of time you spent on surfing from your airtime ?
    Airtime charges does not apply when using GPRS or wireless broadband, they either charge by the amoount of data transfered or unlimited. Airtime charges applies for dial-up.

3) Or must I subscribe to another separate plan with the service provider to enable surfing the net using the PDA phone ?
    For GPRS and dial-up service, they normally come as a value added service to your existing mobile plan. However, they do have dedicated plan/line for them. If you are talking about wireless broadband, it has nothing to do with your mobile service provider but your internet service provider.

Wifi is faster than GPRS. Wifi is about broadband speed while GPRS is about dialup speed. It is also not correct to say WIFI charges by amount of data. For Singtel, they charge by per mintues.

Again depending for which telco, certain VAS like Singtel Data3 allows you to use WIFI and GPRS.

Cheers
    John