Thread: Recommendation for camera bag

Default Recommendation for camera bag

Bought my first DSLR a few months back, now thinking of bringing it for an overseas trip. Will probably bring 2 lens along as well. Don't have a flash unit and don't have a camera bag currently. Any recommendations for a light but good camera bag?

you can check out Lowepro's series. Important thing is that you bring your gear down to the shops to try it out physically. If you are thinking of future expansion, factor that in as well when deciding what to buy

Here's some considerations:

Backpack or Shoulder bags
    Laptop or no laptop
    Lightweight or dun mind heavy weight
    space for other accessories - spare batts, water, umbrella, passport, tripod...etc
    Budget ..etc

I would anticipate that I will be carrying a separate backpack with water and cold weather clothes, etc. So looking for a shoulder sling type. Just looking for a simple bag to put the lens and camera, as cheap as possible. Not bringing tripod

Other than Allan Photo and Cathay Photo, what are the other cheap shops?

You may also want to consider whether you wanna expand your inventory in the near future.

Well, even if I expand I would want to bring minimal stuff for travel. So I think can buy a smaller travel bag now. On a related note, would you guys recommend that I just bring the 50mm f1.8, or the AF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D ? Or both? Trying to pack as light as possible.
    Last edited by red_ryder; 29th April 2005 at 06:04 PM.

i havent tried others, but my crumpler (sling type) feels quite heavy... carrying it and walking the whole day is not exactly something i like. one dslr and 2 lens in the bag oni. i think a backpack would be better? or even a beltpack?

a second hand one would be good...

try e 200aw from lowepro?
    its quite small and compact, can't remember e exact price though, i think its ~55?

To travel light, I go with 1 lens and a toploader bag.

Can even fit into day backpack when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    To travel light, I go with 1 lens and a toploader bag.

Can even fit into day backpack when not in use.
    I also want to just bring 1 lens but dunno which to bring. On the one hand, the 28-70mm zoom lens is handier and lighter, and I will be taking lots of landscape shots. On the other hand, my 50mm prime lens is more expensive and is a better lens. Really in a dilemna. Wondering if I should just forget about the DSLR and bring my P&S instead.

why don't you bring both? The 50mm 1.8 is pretty compact so I don't see it as an issue. Also, for taking landscape you might end up needing something wider than 50mm (I found out the hard way that moving backwards is not always an available option! )

For travelling, I would not suggest carrying a separate camera bag. You should just use which ever bag you are going to walk around with since you would be bring other stuff and not just your camera. I think it is quite a hassle carrying 2 bags (when you are sightseeing), and it would be cumblesome trying to hold your camera and take pictures while having 2 bags with you. Besides, a separate camera bag would draw attention to thiefs, and it is easier for them to lay hands on your camera.

Hope this helps. Cheers!