plane tickets bought and looking forward to the trip now

the itinerary covers:

- Banff Lake lousie : 3 days (drive)
    a. banff
    b. lake louise
    c. jasper
    d. kananaskis
    e. Icefield parkway

- Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle: 7 days (drive)
    a. gastown
    b. robson street
    c. buchard garden
    d. empress hotel victoria
    e. seattle
    f. richmond
    g. capilano bridge
    h. north and south vancouver

- Toronto, Niagara, New york: 4 days (flight)

- montreal and quebec city: 5 days (drive from toronto)

- newfoundland and labrador : 4 days (drive and ferry from nova scotia)

- halifax and nova scotia : 4 days (drive from quebec)

not sure if it's too tiring or not for our kids
    might not covers all.. we'll see and decide on the spot
    Last edited by guseliz; 17th March 2015 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: Canada : tips and info

Just remember bro
    With kids, you need to factor in 30-40% more prep time to get them on the road, more pee breaks etc... and less hikes / walking...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Hi Guseliz,

Since you have young children you might want to consider checking out the badlands in Drumheller which is about an hour east of Calgary. It'll be a nice break from all the mountains and it's also one of the top places in the world for dinosaur fossils. The Royal Tyrell Museum is worth a look.

For your Vancouver itinerary you can lump a few of the places to see in a single day. Consider doing Gastown, Stanley Park, Robson Street, Davie Street (centre of the gay and lesbian scene) and then finally down to English Bay for a sunset dinner and walk on the beach.

While at the Capilano Suspension Bridge, make sure to look down to see if there are any salmon returning. You might also want to check out Deep Cove and Horseshoe Bay which is quite scenic but unfortunately they are on opposite ends. There is also a free alternative to the Suspension bridge at Lynn Valley which is great for a day hike. Ultimately, the Capilano is the more impressive bridge.

Victoria and Buchard Gardens can be done in a day. If you're luck you may be treated to the sight of orca (killer) whales which call the area home. Seals and sea otters are also a common sight.

When in Vancouver you may also want to check out Van Dusen Gardens and Queen Elizabeth Park. I would skip Richmond unless you want miss Chinese food.

Quote Originally Posted by guseliz View Post
    Thanks everyone for reply.

my brother has planned the itinerary.

the itinerary covers:

a. banff
    b. lake louise
    c. jasper
    d. kananaskis
    e. Icefield parkway

a. gastown
    b. robson street
    c. buchard garden
    e. seattle
    f. richmond
    g. capilano bridge

Thanks everyone for reply.

my brother has planned the itinerary.

the itinerary covers:

a. banff
    b. lake louise
    c. jasper
    d. kananaskis
    e. Icefield parkway

a. gastown
    b. robson street
    c. buchard garden
    e. seattle
    f. richmond
    g. capilano bridge

WOW! That is quite an itinerary!!! You could spend a month in each of the places you've listed! I'm a little worried with the small kids in tow but you would know better how they would handle all of the flying and driving. I will not comment on the west coast portion of your trip because you've got a lot of good advice on that side of Canada. However for the east coast here is what I would suggest...

1. It appears from what you've written that most of your trip on the east side of Canada will be by automobile. The distance between Toronto and Halifax is 2000 kms (double if you intend to drive back). If you add New York and Newfoundland to your itinerary, you will more than double the distance easily. For example, a one-way drive from Halifax to St. John's is 1500 kms. If you plan to drive back, its 3000 kms.I would suggest cutting out the New York and Newfoundland portions of the trip and perhaps plan to see these another time.

2. As a substitute for New York, I would add Ottawa to the itinerary... Canada's national capital. It is an easy 5 hour drive from Toronto along Hwy 401 and 416. You can check a tourist website for the things to see in Ottawa which of course would include the Parliament Buildings. From Ottawa it is an easy 2 hour drive to Montreal along Hwy. 417.

3. As a substitute for Newfoundland, I would suggest PEI. Prince Edward Island is beautiful in the summer and a tourist destination for many Americans and Japanese. You can enter the eastern side of PEI from New Brunswick over the 14 km Confederation Bridge and then exit via the western portion by ferry boat to Nova Scotia. One of the striking things about the southern coast of PEI is that the soil is red. This contrasts the north side of the island where the coastline is dotted with white sandy beaches. Cavendish is a must see which is located on the north side of the island and Charlottetown has a double decker tourist bus (similar to those in Singapore) for a tour of Charlottetown (the capital of PEI). If you have time, go see the Ann of Green Gables play which is performed every summer in Charlottetown. Explore the PEI tourism website for additional things to see and do in PEI.

4. While in Nova Scotia, see the Citadel in Halifax, the Fortress of Louisburg on Cape Breton Island (part of Nova Scotia) and the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site (again on Cape Breton Island).

5. Quebec City and Montreal have lots to see and do. Check their respective websites for things that would interest you and your family. While in Quebec City I would highly recommend going to 'Old Quebec City' which feels like you've gone back 300 to 400 years in history. In summer, there are often painters painting their frescoes outside just like in Paris. 'Old Quebec City' has a very old European feel to it. Be sure to bring your camera!

Even with this modified itinerary, it is a L O T of driving but it is well worth the effort. Canada is a vast country and it has a lot to offer the tourist. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know. As you cover the 2000 kms journey from Toronto to Halifax you'll be passing many opportunities to see and do things that are not very well known to tourists. For example... in Miramichi, New Brunswick there is a campsite that offers tree houses for your stay. You can book your tree house just like you would book a hotel room. I'm sure that your kids would love an overnight rest in a tree house... http://www.campingmiramichi.com/index.html. Another example off the beaten path would include the Ann Murray Museum in Springhill, NS... http://www.annemurraycentre.com/ (she used to be the Celine Dion of the 60's and 70's. Yet other examples... Magnetic Hill in Moncton, NB, the Hopewell Rocks in Hopewell, NB, the Springhill Miners Museum in Springhill, NS.... I could go on and on! Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Good luck and happy sightseeing!
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon G15

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy747 View Post
    Daniel Wigget has a couple of great ebook of the area. A must buy if you want to have great pics. He has everything marked out with GPS coordinates. Just google it. I went all the way up to Jasper from Calgary. Worth every single minute of my trip.
    Daniel Wigget? Or do you mean Darwin Wiggett?

Thanks for the feedback dohboy and raydio.

yap i know i sound like crazy and did not realize it until lately i checked that my previous itinerary seems impossible to cover with small kids in tow.
    you're right raydio, i will cut out New York and Newfoundland this time and cover only around Niagara, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec for the east side of Canada.
    i will have to see how we cope and if everything is fine then we can fly to PEI/Halifax as you suggested.

Thanks and appreciated for all the suggestions.. i need to check through which are of our interest

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback dohboy and raydio.

yap i know i sound like crazy and did not realize it until lately i checked that my previous itinerary seems impossible to cover with small kids in tow.
    you're right raydio, i will cut out New York and Newfoundland this time and cover only around Niagara, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec for the east side of Canada.
    i will have to see how we cope and if everything is fine then we can fly to PEI/Halifax as you suggested.

Thanks and appreciated for all the suggestions.. i need to check through which are of our interest

Cheers
    Good luck with your travels... Enjoy and be safe.

It's the typical Singaporean style of travel... rush, rush and pack it in..

Anyway, after one such trip, then sometimes we will learn to take it easy. After all it's a Vacation!

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Ok, I posted at wrong side, since here got Canada.

I planned as follows in 2017 by self drive.

Vancouver - Whistler - Jasper - Calgary - Winnipeg - Toronto. Still got a lot of details, will slowly work on it.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Ok, I posted at wrong side, since here got Canada.

I planned as follows in 2017 by self drive.

Vancouver - Whistler - Jasper - Calgary - Winnipeg - Toronto. Still got a lot of details, will slowly work on it.

That's a lot of driving!... about 4500 kms!... and that only brings you to the halfway point in the country. The eastern half has a culture completely different to the western half.

There are many hidden treasures in Province of Quebec and the 4 Atlantic Provinces... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland. Unfortunately, Canada is too big and has too much to offer in a typical single vacation.

My advice for such a distance as you're planning is to plan well ahead of time and know what you want/need to see in each location.

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post

That's a lot of driving!... about 4500 kms!... and that only brings you to the halfway point in the country. The eastern half has a culture completely different to the western half.

There are many hidden treasures in Province of Quebec and the 4 Atlantic Provinces... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland. Unfortunately, Canada is too big and has too much to offer in a typical single vacation.

My advice for such a distance as you're planning is to plan well ahead of time and know what you want/need to see in each location.
    Yup. Going for at least 25 days excluding flight. Mainly will be at popular areas as remoted areas not so safe for us. Plus we not sure what is over there, ha ha! Too bad Hudson bay too far to reach and plane limited our luggage. Anyway, will update if confirmed and got the details out.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Yup. Going for at least 25 days excluding flight. Mainly will be at popular areas as remoted areas not so safe for us. Plus we not sure what is over there, ha ha! Too bad Hudson bay too far to reach and plane limited our luggage. Anyway, will update if confirmed and got the details out.
    You'll have an exciting trip and 25 days will seem like two and a half! It will go by very quickly!

There's not much to see in the Hudson's Bay area except for polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba and only at certain times of the year. The area is also known for beluga whales and the northern lights (again at certain times of the year). You also cannot drive there in the summer. You can only drive there in the winter when ice highways are built over the many lakes and rivers. I've done that a few times and it is exhilarating to be driving long distances over a frozen lake.There are also no rules, so you can go well above highway speeds like the autobahn in Germany!

Here is a photo of my car parked on a frozen lake in the Province of Ontario in the middle of January. You can see the snowmobiles in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post

You'll have an exciting trip and 25 days will seem like two and a half! It will go by very quickly!

There's not much to see in the Hudson's Bay area except for polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba and only at certain times of the year. The area is also known for beluga whales and the northern lights (again at certain times of the year). You also cannot drive there in the summer. You can only drive there in the winter when ice highways are built over the many lakes and rivers. I've done that a few times and it is exhilarating to be driving long distances over a frozen lake.There are also no rules, so you can go well above highway speeds like the autobahn in Germany!

Here is a photo of my car parked on a frozen lake in the Province of Ontario in the middle of January. You can see the snowmobiles in the distance.
    I know about the Hudson bay tour but I don't like to go when cold, maybe will when I got a good prime lens.

Depending on number of people going and might ended up with a van type of vehicle.

Long way to go but will be having enough time to plan. Mostly confirm by next Oct if air ticket does have offers. Will be having tons of time lapse video, ha ha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12