Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graduation Photoshoot - Coming Up!

I can confirm now. please count me in. I am using film, EOS 30 and 28~70 L. Minolta IVF light-meter and a photo-disc.
    Tweek, if you need to develop and sort the prints and sleeved & number them a 1 big album, you are welcome to use my lab too.

Raiden II
    Guests

Yap, reala is only usually good for pictures where your subjects has very bright colours, makes the colours richer and saturated. HOWEVER, it is not for people as it tends to give a reddish tone on skin. My all time favourite is NPS 160 and NPH 400, they are especially for wedding photography and portraiture shots, these films produces very nice skin tones a "neutral" overall picture, not exaggerated colours. As for NPC 160, I don't quite like the colours as compared to the NPS160.

Raiden II
    Guests

Hi Tweek,

I'm using film. However, I'm more of wanting to practise my camera shoots of people, so it may be more of a test shots to me, is it alright? I did a wedding shoot before and the results were very good, better than expected. So can I join in? I don't mind paying for the films if you have doubts in my skills. Just want to grab this opportunity to practise. Is it fine with you? I will be using Fuji NPS 160 film and maybe one or two Fuji NPH 400 if weather is bad or for indoors. I can do black and whites if anybody wants.....but bear in mind that they will take a longer time to develop.

Can you confirm the date and time again? I can confirm with you now if there's no problems.

Also, why did you guys choose afternoon? Morning shots are nice....all photographers, agree???
    Last edited by Raiden II; 8th September 2002 at 09:49 AM.

agreed..... better to take advantage of the light in the morning.

Jethro!!!!!

You go I go!!!
    hehheheee.....

Ok I'm in!

NPH is good but since we will be shooting in daylight 400 speed is a little overkill. It's good or even necessary to have a few rolls of NPH ready for overcast weather.
    NPS is pro portrait film for sure. The problem with NPS is that it is not sharp enough for group photo. NPS has a charactor that is like having a softfilter on all the time. Great for single portrait and girls like it. But since we will be expecting mostly group photo the Reala (fuji's sharpest film) will deliver more resolution.
    NPC is a more saturated version of NPS that gives more colour. For that it is a higher contrast film.
    Last edited by zhoufang; 8th September 2002 at 11:14 AM.

Originally posted by Mystix
    agreed..... better to take advantage of the light in the morning.
    during sunset at 6-7pm we can get natural golden cast without using the golden reflector disk.
    Acutally morning and evening are both the best time for portrait shot. In the noon when the sun is high we will really need the reflector disk to reduce the harsh shadow.
    So all those with external flash remember to bring them along for fill flash. You need FocalPlane flash unless you want to stop down to f/8 - f/16 for ISO100 to get below you X-sync shutter speed.

Thanks all for your input, here are my answers:

Originally posted by zhoufang

Pls let me know if I will need to buy my own film before hand as I do not have 100 speed neg film with me for now.

Will you be expecting big group shots like 50 or more ppl? If so then better ask for MF camera users if you want to see the face of everyone clearly.
    I will do up the assignment list as soon as possible and soon your 'models' will contact you, and from there you can advice them on your preferred film and the quantity to buy. We will only have about 12 people so for a group shot MF is not required, 35mm will do.

Originally posted by Jethro

Tweek, if you need to develop and sort the prints and sleeved & number them a 1 big album, you are welcome to use my lab too.
    wow, thanks jethro!

Originally posted by Raiden II

I'm using film. However, I'm more of wanting to practise my camera shoots of people, so it may be more of a test shots to me, is it alright? I did a wedding shoot before and the results were very good, better than expected. So can I join in? I don't mind paying for the films if you have doubts in my skills. Just want to grab this opportunity to practise. Is it fine with you? I will be using Fuji NPS 160 film and maybe one or two Fuji NPH 400 if weather is bad or for indoors. I can do black and whites if anybody wants.....but bear in mind that they will take a longer time to develop.

Can you confirm the date and time again? I can confirm with you now if there's no problems.

Also, why did you guys choose afternoon? Morning shots are nice....all photographers, agree???
    Sure Raiden, please do come along. I will put you down as a trial photographer, meaning you are there to take shots for own 'consumption'. Note that your costs will not be covered, hope you'll understand this. It's quite tricky to manage this cost thing cuz I'm speaking on behalf of about 12 of my friends.

Date is confirmed 15 September, Sunday. Time is tentatively but almost confirm 2pm. Place to meet will be confirmed at least 3 days before the day itself.

I really wanted morning, but it's a Sunday and some of us have church service. I have some friends who cannot make it early as well. So no choice 2pm is the earliest we can start I think. Have to make do with the conditions then!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Ok I'm in!
    Thanks bluestrike. Will you be doing digital or film? Your D30?
    Last edited by Tweek; 8th September 2002 at 11:58 AM.

Please note that the request for volunteers is closed (refer to the first thread), I think we have enough photographers already. Anyone who wants to join are still welcome to come along but they will shoot for their own consumption only. Confirmed volunteers, if you have to cancel your services, please let me know at least 3 days before ok, so that I can rearrange. Thanks very much for your cooperation!

I will be sending PM to all confirmed volunteers to ask for phone numbers and email addresses, cuz your 'models' will be contacting you to ask for advice and arrange for what film to buy, how much film to buy etc.

Raiden II
    Guests

2pm~4pm is really very hash, really not good for grad photos, I've taken grads before at that timing, it's a no no. The only thing you can hope for is overcast sky, the best pictures you can get in that lighting condition.

I've not been to the botanical gardens for a long time, but I think there isn't much shade at all there. The best location is maybe the Parliament House, at least you don't get harsh weather.

Zhoufang:

I've tried NPC before, find the colours really awful. NPS is still my favourite. You have any photos taken with NPC? Maybe I was wrong, coz I only tried it once.

2pm~4pm is really very hash, really not good for grad photos, I've taken grads before at that timing, it's a no no. The only thing you can hope for is overcast sky, the best pictures you can get in that lighting condition.

I've not been to the botanical gardens for a long time, but I think there isn't much shade at all there. The best location is maybe the Parliament House, at least you don't get harsh weather.

Zhoufang:

I've tried NPC before, find the colours really awful. NPS is still my favourite. You have any photos taken with NPC? Maybe I was wrong, coz I only tried it once.
    I think you have mistaken me.
    I don't like the NPC colour too.
    I think that if anyone like that saturated colour they may better go and buy a Sony digital, which give vivid colour that looks very similiar to NPC.

For the afternoon lighting I think all we can do is to bring our reflector and flash. For group shots fill flash is the only choice since I don't think any of us will have such a big reflector. Also have to bring bottled water in our bag.

I will be bring tripod too. If the weather is overcast or when it's approching golden hours it will be really useful if the 100 speed film is still in the camera. It helps to reduce all camera shake and allow me to stop down my lens to at least f/5.6 so that all models will be in the deep DoF. Also it's easier to shot multiple group shot without have to hold the heavy weight camera all the time. I will encourage others to bring along your triopod too.

Hi, i will be shooting with my S602, which is 1. 3mp 2. Digital so i will not be using any film. However, a gentle reminder that i have not had much experience with such shoots so, yeah.. pls let your friends know not to expect the world, although you can bet that i will try my utmost.

Cheers!

PS: No promises but I'll see if i can provide transport as well. It's a small family saloon that can sit 4 comfortably, so, if i can, i will that day.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 8th September 2002 at 03:14 PM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Raiden II
    Guests

oic.

I'm not really afraid of film speed coz I'm using a 50 and 85mm lens, both f1.8, more than enough speed.

I tried using reflectors too, don't like the pictures. I would prefer flash instead. But then again, I like my pictures without flash at all...heee.
    Last edited by Raiden II; 8th September 2002 at 03:29 PM.

oic.

I'm not really afraid of film speed coz I'm using a 50 and 85mm lens, both f1.8, more than enough speed.

I tried using reflectors too, don't like the pictures. I would prefer flash instead. But then again, I like my pictures without flash at all...heee.
    The f/1.8 does not help for group photo at all.
    If you go and calc the DoF f/4 is the minimum you need to be totally sure that all ppl in the group have their noise to buttock all in critical focus (more critical than the standard DoF calculated using the CoC as 0.025mm, which is not precise enough for enlargement). Considering other factors like the film plane may not be totally flat, I will shot such group photo as at least f/5.6 or when light permits f/8. Not to say that the 50/1.8 is not really sharp or contrasy @ f/1.8, f/4 or smaller looks much better.

Raiden II
    Guests

Those are for portrait shots, not for group shots, forgot to mention that. Of course I have a wide angle, for that matter. I'm using all prime lenses, never looked back ever since I used the cheap Nikon 50mm, it delivers even at 1.8. Anyway, I'm more interested to get the portraits rather than the groups. Remember, I'm the "trial" photographer. haha. See ya.
    Last edited by Raiden II; 8th September 2002 at 09:10 PM.

Those are for portrait shots, not for group shots, forgot to mention that. Of course I have a wide angle, for that matter. I'm using all prime lenses, never looked back ever since I used the cheap Nikon 50mm, it delivers even at 1.8. Anyway, I'm more interested to get the portraits rather than the groups. Remember, I'm the "trial" photographer. haha. See ya.
    The group part is really a service to volunteer.
    The portrait part... ehhhh.. must wait to see lah.

Originally posted by zhoufang
    If film will be provided I will prefer Fuji reala (pro wedding photograher's favourite for daylight) as I will expect a lot of contrast. A low contrast film is really important. The much cheaper Fuji superia 100 is also very sharp but just have a little more contrast, so will lost more shadow/highlight details

Will you be expecting big group shots like 50 or more ppl? If so then better ask for MF camera users if you want to see the face of everyone clearly.
    Huh? I didn't know "pro wedding photographers" use such a saturated film like Reala 100. Besides, Reala is more contrasty and thus not suitable for such conditions. A low contrast film like NPH/NPS might be better.

Regards
    CK

Ahh... the advantages of digital

1) The photographer gets to keep the original
    2) B&W conversion can be done after the fact
    3) Easier to touch up photos
    4) Models don't need to pay for film
    5) ISO/Contrast/Tone/Saturation can be sat to suit conditions
    6) NPS, NPC, Reala??? Film???

Time to switch to digital hehe

Raiden II
    Guests

Digitals, anyone can use, anyone can edit BUT not everyone likes digitals. I find the digi photos look too fake, so unreal.

One good example is to look at the criteria set by the grads, they want film, not digital. Anytime, the good old film prevails. And the satisfaction of processing black and white photos are great, you get to control what you really want and that is skill that needs to be acquired. Well, when you are into photography, costs should come second place!

But well, digis I agree, are good for the advertising media or the journalists where fast results are required. However, just a note, the digis' quality are still not on par with the films.

btw, this is not a debate! Just my 2 cents worth, no hardfeelings.
    Last edited by Raiden II; 9th September 2002 at 10:32 AM.

Digitals, anyone can use, anyone can edit BUT not everyone likes digitals. I find the digi photos look too fake, so unreal.

One good example is to look at the criteria set by the grads, they want film, not digital. Anytime, the good old film prevails. And the satisfaction of processing black and white photos are great, you get to control what you really want and that is skill that needs to be acquired. Well, when you are into photography, costs should come second place!

But well, digis I agree, are good for the advertising media or the journalists where fast results are required. However, just a note, the digis' quality are still not on par with the films.

btw, this is not a debate! Just my 2 cents worth, no hardfeelings.
    You must be talking about the consumer/prosumer digital, that's why it looks so "fake" and "unreal". DSLR output is far, far better. And I am told the D30/60 output is rather "film like".

Digitals also enlarge better than film as they have no grain.

Regards
    CK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast