Thread: Considering buying a used Nikon D70 -- Can tell me how to test to see if it's okay?

Default Considering buying a used Nikon D70 -- Can tell me how to test to see if it's okay?

So I'm thinking of buying a used Nikon D70. Body is priced at $150, which is below the rate I see for second hand listings online. Can you guys tell me what I should check for when I go to the shop to test before I buy it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Considering buying a used Nikon D70 -- Can tell me how to test to see if it's oka

Test all the button works, the lcd display no weird lines or leaks, test if the focus assist lamp works, if the focus confirmation beep sounds, if the pop up flash work, put on a lens without built in motor (for example a D series lens) and test if the autofocus works, and if it reads your CF cards properly and saves properly. Some D70 have CF card problem which shows CHA on the display. Check the body see if got cracks or dents which implies camera being dropped before. Some of that damage might be patched with paint or epoxy, be suspicious if see these, Scratches and paint fades are normal. Check the lens mount ring, see if its intact and not loose or wobbly, which again, may implies dropped with lens impacting against it. Check the eye piece, D70 frequently lost that eye piece. Check the mirror for signs of fingerprints, which implies amatuerish cleaning and messing around, lock up the mirror and check the sensor for any amateurish cleaning stains. Test the bulb mode and ensure the shutter closes back after you release the button. Sniff the strap and detect for signs of body odour from previous owners.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Here's another tip. Buy my Nikon D70. Still working fine when I used it yesterday!

Haha! Alright. You have to check for the usual stuff. Focusing, CF slot reading / writing, 3fps shooting, bracketing function, if the built-in flash works, if the hot shoe works, if the LCD still works well, if the eye piece is still attached, if the LCD cover is still attached, if the top screen illumination still works, if the sensor is reasonable clean and performing well etc.

I don't think you can figure everything out on that day, so it is best to have some deal brokered with the seller, who I assume you trust. In any case, you have to be aware that this is a really old model, so some things have got to give. You have to be prepared to accept something that is not as good as gold and/or standby some surplus cash for some repairs / maintenance.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Just curious, why D70? It's a really old model...

Unless u already have Nikkor lenses, why not consider other newer models of other brands. I see a couple of Sony NEX n m43 models selling cheap, at most sub300 for body only. And I'm pretty sure IQ is better than D70
    hi

Default Re: Considering buying a used Nikon D70 -- Can tell me how to test to see if it's oka

EOS