Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The LTA "Journeys" Digital Photo Contest

Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    It's a way to get commercial shots done at cheap price.

With the same amount of $$$, they get so many more pictures to choose from.

Then again, it's up to the individual if they want to join
    Because they are so many photograhers still supporting such act, thats why these companies are able to succeed.

Its up to individuals whether they think its worth the effort, but not for me.

Deregistered

Not for me too, I already see a few posts suggesting to join, they are the ones supporting these acts

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Because they are so many photograhers still supporting such act, thats why these companies are able to succeed.

Its up to individuals whether they think its worth the effort, but not for me.
    Me boycott too... even though they earn lotsa money doesn't mean they use it effectively or properly or that they are generous....

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Not for me too, I already see a few posts suggesting to join, they are the ones supporting these acts
    Even school photography clubs are encouraging their members to join..
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy
    They mention winning entries.. din say only the winners's photos.. so if you photos go into qualifying rounds, also can call winning entries... so photos belong to them to use and you might not win anything...

Seems more like a cheap way to get photos they want w/o paying for professional photographers...
    ermm ... to me, its either you win (and get a prize) or you lose ... so i don't see anything grey in the technical terms. If it goes into qualifying, thats not winning right?

not to start a flame war or anything, objectively speaking, I agree thats its a cheap way of commissioning works done, but I'm pretty sure pro's won't bother.

Besides, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Instead, I see it as a window of opportunity to us amatuers/hobbyists etc etc. I don't shoot like a pro and most of my shots suck, but even $250 in the wallet is better than 2megabytes of data which only I appreciate. After all, I'm not selling my morals. Thats reality for me.

I've seen dozens of competitions organised every year. Less than 20% allow the photographers to retain their rights. Even if I don't join such competitions, they won't go away. Thats reality for me as well.

*steps back and awaits the flames* ...
    Lets take it with a pinch of salt.

Actually i don't see the need to talk so much over this issue.
    I would see this in the positive light. That is the pros have no interest in these 'peanuts', then there leave more chances for 'monkeys' like myself to eat them. All pros started off as 'monkeys' somewhere in their life.

Juz imagine the subject changes to shooting babes in bikini and organnize by some magazine, all terms and conditions the same, i dare to say alot of ppl will jump in.

Its becos the subject to shoot is different, not in their interest.

There are some who loves these themes, why stop them from participate?

Its a competition, got prizes, not the kind of free jobs.

I do not much wrong other than your winning entry is being "owned" by LTA? I think one would feel honoured that his/her photos are used by LTA, probably seen by quite a number of people? If the pictures are not to be seen or appreciated in the first place by other people, there is no need to take part in the competition. This also serve to widen your own exposure IMO. I think having earning $250 in your pocket with good picture is better than paying $250 (for 4-5 sessions of model shoot etc?) to shoot with meaningful pictures.

Comeon, you think LTA will pay thousands of dollars just to organise such competitions for wannabes to waste their time? I would think they are paying more than what they need to. Prize money alone is $7500, not including other costs to run the competition and etc etc. I would think this is a win-win situation. The participants get more exposure and the LTA gets more choices. I would believe LTA can just throw $10K on a professional photographer that can product very traditional yet positive images to choose from. Maybe after this competition award winning photographers can have more chance to meetup with real studios that might need them?

Who knows. So be more positive and not be short-sighted.

ya, one side seems that they are saving money and getting more choice
    the other side of view seems that they are encouraging more Newcomers to take part in the competition for experience and prize.

Very hard to judge which point of view is the right one.

Lightbulb

there is no clear answer. just go with your flow. to each his own.

hmmm ... here's 3 questions i posted to Andrea Chua, LTA's person-in-charge of queries regarding the competition:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Qn: I will like to know if the photographer will be acknowledged in any way if his/her work(s) is/are used ...

Ans: Yes, the photographer would be acknowledged this is why we would require you to ensure that your particulars and photos submitted to us must be correctly labelled.

Qn: ... and whether photographers will lose their copyright of the submitted non-winning entries.

Ans: photographers will not lose their copyright if their photos are not winning entries.

Qn: Does 'winning entries' include only those selected for the 13 prizes?

Ans: Yes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see anything wrong with this competition personally, nothing gets done when you think too much

Default Another Question for Andrea Chua?

Here's something else to think about:

Remember all those times when SMRT or SBS Transit staff would approach you when you're setting up a tripod to take a shot in the MRT, telling you that a permit was required to take photos or it's just plain NOT ALLOWED?

Extracted from LTA "Journeys" Competition Information:
    "The competition, themed "Journeys", requires photographers to look beyond the mundane in their daily travel on Singapore's land transport system."

I think Miss Chua is going to receive her fair share of calls from irritated photographers in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection
    Here's something else to think about:

Remember all those times when SMRT or SBS Transit staff would approach you when you're setting up a tripod to take a shot in the MRT, telling you that a permit was required to take photos or it's just plain NOT ALLOWED?

Extracted from LTA "Journeys" Competition Information:
    "The competition, themed "Journeys", requires photographers to look beyond the mundane in their daily travel on Singapore's land transport system."

I think Miss Chua is going to receive her fair share of calls from irritated photographers in due course.
    you call/email her lah, since you have the question

Actually, I'm more intrigued by the below rule than what has been argued so far...

"All entries must be submitted as photographic prints with a minimum size of 1200 x 1800
    dpi resolution. The photographic prints should not be mounted and are to be saved in a CD
    for submission."

I haven't really figured how to save my photographic prints into CD yet...

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    you call/email her lah, since you have the question

You kidding? And prevent someone from doing what she's paid to do as a communications officer?
    That would be a sin.

hahaa, sounds abit weird about the rule now that you've brought it up.

Prints means hardcopy ? then how to put them into a CD ? lolz

ya, regarding permit, i remembered i was shooting my frenz at the Harbour Front MRT, when suddenly the employee there came out and stop me from taking photographs... i think they abit sensitive to ppl holding on to cameras in the Station. somemore mine is those *normal camera lor.,...

Here's the rules and regulations.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/images/LTA%20P...egulations.pdf

"Composite photographs, multiple printing/exposures, and images manipulated
    (electronically or otherwise) are allowed."

I think they want both a hard and soft copy of your photo.
    Last edited by reno77; 29th April 2005 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    hahaa, sounds abit weird about the rule now that you've brought it up.

Prints means hardcopy ? then how to put them into a CD ? lolz

ya, regarding permit, i remembered i was shooting my frenz at the Harbour Front MRT, when suddenly the employee there came out and stop me from taking photographs... i think they abit sensitive to ppl holding on to cameras in the Station. somemore mine is those *normal camera lor.,...
    Just print your image onto a CD and submit that.

Also write an email to the organiser to ask for permit and show the MRT employees, remember to CC to SMRT and ask for permit also. Make sure that you get the name and tel number of the approving officer.

With that 2 pieces of paper no one will be able to stop you from taking pictures.

Lightbulb

this competition is supported by Safra Photographic Club. it is expected that LTA has sought Safra P C's input on the technical aspect of the competition.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 29th April 2005 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Just print your image onto a CD and submit that.

Also write an email to the organiser to ask for permit and show the MRT employees, remember to CC to SMRT and ask for permit also. Make sure that you get the name and tel number of the approving officer.

With that 2 pieces of paper no one will be able to stop you from taking pictures.
    Thnx dude, i'll write a letter, if i am going to take part, but i guess it is a great help to us all !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast