Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The LTA "Journeys" Digital Photo Contest

Default The LTA "Journeys" Digital Photo Contest

Info-sharing:

As part of its 10th anniversary and National Day celebrations, the Land Transport Authority is organising its first nation-wide digital photography competition.

Read the rest of the details here:
    http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/motoring/members__area/contest__i_/the_lta__journeys.html

I could be wrong but the following clause, extracted from the contest rules & regulations, will put off most CS member here:

Copyright and Reproduction of Photographic Prints
    All winning entries shall become the sole property of LTA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever and will not be returned to the participant. LTA shall also have the right to use, reproduce, modify or prepare derivative works of the winning photographs for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by LTA. For the avoidance of doubt, LTA shall also have the rights to publish, display, reproduce or otherwise publicise or communicate all winning photographs in the manner described below or for any other purpose:

1. On LTA road and/or rail construction hoardings along the streets of Singapore
    2. In any publications
    3. On LTA’s commemorative anniversary or corporate gifts and any print / electronic material
    4. At exhibitions and any other event
    5. For publicity and any other purpose

Quote Originally Posted by AixisOfJustice
    I could be wrong but the following clause, extracted from the contest rules & regulations, will put off most CS member here:

All winning entries shall become the sole property of LTA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever and will not be returned to the participant. LTA shall also have the right to use, reproduce, modify or prepare derivative works of the winning photographs for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by LTA. For the avoidance of doubt, LTA shall also have the rights to publish, display, reproduce or otherwise publicise or communicate all winning photographs in the manner described below or for any other purpose:

1. On LTA road and/or rail construction hoardings along the streets of Singapore
    2. In any publications
    3. On LTA’s commemorative anniversary or corporate gifts and any print / electronic material
    4. At exhibitions and any other event
    5. For publicity and any other purpose
    oops... didn't read the fine print.
    thanks for the alert.

All winning entries shall become the sole property of LTA without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever and will not be returned to the participant. LTA shall also have the right to use, reproduce, modify or prepare derivative works of the winning photographs for whatever purpose and whichever form as may be deemed fit by LTA. For the avoidance of doubt, LTA shall also have the rights to publish, display, reproduce or otherwise publicise or communicate all winning photographs

considering that only winning entries become propertie of LTA, I don't see whats wrong.

Its like taking a photo for a client, and selling it to him (giving up all intellectual rights to the photo)

If someone approached u, told you that he wanted to buy off the rights to a photo you took for $2500, would you sell ? as a hobbyist, I'm pretty sure i would. It would take me 20% closer to a 1DsMkII ....

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia
    considering that only winning entries become propertie of LTA, I don't see whats wrong.

Its like taking a photo for a client, and selling it to him (giving up all intellectual rights to the photo)

If someone approached u, told you that he wanted to buy off the rights to a photo you took for $2500, would you sell ? as a hobbyist, I'm pretty sure i would. It would take me 20% closer to a 1DsMkII ....
    They mention winning entries.. din say only the winners's photos.. so if you photos go into qualifying rounds, also can call winning entries... so photos belong to them to use and you might not win anything...

Seems more like a cheap way to get photos they want w/o paying for professional photographers...

in the past do they hire professional photographers ?

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia

"......without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever....."

Dream on.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    "......without the need for payment of any fee or charge whatsoever....."

Dream on.
    Yeah! I totally agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy
    They mention winning entries.. din say only the winners's photos.. so if you photos go into qualifying rounds, also can call winning entries... so photos belong to them to use and you might not win anything...

Seems more like a cheap way to get photos they want w/o paying for professional photographers...
    hmm... i dun think lta needs to stinge on budget like this, they collected tons of $$$ annually from coe road tax arf parf erp pie ecp aye etc...

qualifying = winning entry? i doubt it, but those interested in contest should clarify with the organiser.

if win prize = sell off rights to photo, some would say ok, some would object for the sake of artistic pride, got all kinds lah...

btw, i'm not related to lta in any way, just saw it on their website and thought i'll share info.

typically winning entries means uhhh... photos that win prizes. So if you win a small consolation prize, the photo still belongs to them.

It's unfair but then they set the rule so if you think it's not fair, dun join. Simple.

It's up to each individual to join or not.

join for the fun, think this way is better.

by the way, wat are the prizes?

boycott lor.. dun join lor.... its the best bet.. dun join. let them ponder whats wrong...

1st prize - $2500
    2nd prize - $1500
    3rd prize - $1000
    10 COnsolation prizes - $250 each

join lah....u can manipulate your images as much as u like....it is ALLOWED!!!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

1st prize - $2500
    2nd prize - $1500
    3rd prize - $1000
    10 COnsolation prizes - $250 each
    join join join 2.5k can buy alot of things....

2nd prize not bad too, 1.5k can buy another d70 body and kits lens....

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    boycott lor.. dun join lor.... its the best bet.. dun join. let them ponder whats wrong...
    dun think it will worry LTA cos sure got ppl who will join one ...

It's a way to get commercial shots done at cheap price.

With the same amount of $$$, they get so many more pictures to choose from.

Then again, it's up to the individual if they want to join

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast