Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo business: what it takes

Default Re: Photo business: what it takes

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    That means you should start your own workshop and seminar too.
    LOL, maybe should consider this when I much older.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    in short, very simple lar,

After you survive for first 3 very tough years, tahan for another 3 tough years, than after that, you will get used to it liao.

nothing so hard actually...... hahahahahha

Then another 3 more, later when the push becomes momentum.....why not another 3?

I survived but then the first 3 years was in the negative....(Seriously I wondered how did I survived then)

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post
    I survived but then the first 3 years was in the negative....(Seriously I wondered how did I survived then)
    Every business is highly advised to project for negative cash flows in the early years and to have sufficient cash burn. Many businesses fail not because of poor ideas or lack of drive but simply lack of cash burn.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Read this recently. It's stuff the experienced guys here have shared over and over.
    Although it isn't photography-specific, it does highlight the different areas a one-man/woman-show must pay attention to, at least until you start hiring people to help you.

16+ Essential Skills Freelancers Really Need to Succeed

Naturally, if youíre a freelance web designer, you need good design skills. If youíre a freelance writer, you need good writing skills. If youíre a freelance programmer, you need to be good at programming.
    But thatís not all there is. Successful freelancing requires more than a single skill set. Freelancers and would-be freelancers must be competent in many areas.
    In this post, I list 17 skill sets that freelancers need to succeed.

1. Accounting skills. When you freelance, you are essentially running a small business. That means that you must perform basic bookkeeping tasks. You are also responsible for paying taxes, which are generally more complex for freelancers than for individuals.
    2. Communication skills. Freelancing is all about clear communication. As a freelancer, you must express your ideas and requirements to prospective clients, current clients, and other freelancers.
    3. Estimating skills. How long will a project take? Successful freelancers need to be able to answer this question so that they can schedule their time effectively and still earn a profit.
    4. Interpersonal skills. The stereotype is that freelancers work alone and donít need interpersonal skills, but thatís a myth. Freelancers interact with prospects, clients, and other freelancers.
    5. a Marketable skill. This is probably the skill you think of when you think of freelancing. We say that someone is a freelance designer, writer, programmer, and so on. The truth is that we are all so much more than a single skill.
    6. Management skills. Freelancers often need to manage others. They may outsource tasks to get a project done or hire subcontractors. They may even hire a virtual assistant for help with routine tasks.
    7. Negotiating skills. Negotiations are a key part of freelancing. Freelancers must be able to work with their clients to establish an acceptable work agreement and terms.
    8. Networking skills. A successful freelancer is a good networker. Freelancers must be able to network both online and offline to develop relationships with potential clients.
    9. Problem-solving skills. Good freelancers are problem solvers. Itís common for unexpected problems to occur during the course of a project and the freelancer must solve those problems.
    10. Project management skills. Each freelancing job is its own project. The freelancer is responsible for making sure that it gets done on time and according to the work agreement.
    11. Proofreading skills. Itís important to turn in projects that are error free. That means that each freelancer needs to check his or her work carefully for mistakes before they turn it in.
    12. Public relations skills. As a freelancer, you must promote your own freelancing business. You are responsible for developing and marketing your freelancing brand.
    13. Research skills. Freelancers are their own research and development department. You must keep current with new trends and technologies to discover what works best for your business. Freelancers also need to do research on future clients.
    14. Sales skills. As freelancers, most of us donít consider ourselves to be sales people. But good sales skills are often what it takes to close a freelancing deal.
    15. Scheduling skills. As a freelancer, you are responsible for determining whether or not you can meet promised deadlines. You are also responsible for making sure that you arenít overcommitted.
    16. Stress management skills. With everything we freelancers have to deal with, stress can be a real problem. But stress can slow us down and make us sick. A successful freelancer develops effective ways to deal with stress.
    17. Time management skills. Freelancers canít afford to waste time. Thereís no boss looking over our shoulders to make sure the work gets done. A good freelancer is a good time manager.

via: 16+ Essential Skills Freelancers Really Need to Succeed | FreelanceFolder

@ Agetan

Your opening paragraph resemble a once a friend-no-more selling toxic investment to people around him citing "I care" with successful sales closure. I might incorrectly read you, but let me lay out your words , and why I don't agree.

"I do what I believe, and I believe if people are arm with some basic knowledge, they should use it and think for themselves how to use it. BUT they have to think and process what they know and be honest with themselves."

> All self radicalized people think like that too.

"By all means, more than 90% of business fail, for various reason. Amongst a lot of them, the lack of drive and the ability to cope with changes for life. "

> Tell us something newer, this statement is so common sense.

"It is darn easy to sit on the fence and blame every single f***ing things that is wrong with everyone else (government, economy, blah blah blah), but never look at themselves and know the problem lies on themselves. People who just live in their self denial stage need to wake up. "

> Clearly you either have a limited understanding of the social politic or you do not want to understand what culminated the vocal dis-satisfactions of things beyond most ordinary citizen in this country . In the early years, vast pieces of land were nationally acquired. Many had to give up the land & skills that they were doing for most part of life, if not generations. Promises were made to care for many citizens affected, it is a social contract between our fathers & the establishment. The material exchange were pathetic - football size solid ground for a 3 roomer flat.

You are definitely a foreigner or ex in that term, absence from the SG building years. I've served 18 years of NS, with each call up of 40 days in the first 5 years, subsequent between 1 to 3 weeks. Imagine yourself pushed into the bush without communication to even direct your civilian business. 100s of opportunity were loss, but that's ok cos "I care".

"Sadly, photography isn't always about producing the best work nor the best equipment in order to survive in today's environment. It is more than that. Time has changed... the question is, can you keep up?"

> The paradoxical here is I am astonished but not surprise. Many has resorted to business man first , self Guru-liazation second and producing image last. No thanks, I am always into producing Best class imaging first , neck to neck with profitable business practices.

"I believe, ANYONE, can be successful in their own way IF and it is a big IF... they LEAVE THE NEGATIVITY on one side and CHANGE their MINDSET to think LONG TERM and start to be HONEST with themselves and work really really HARD to improve what they have. "

> Easy to utter such common sense in an uncontested environment

"Unfortunately, loser (I don't mean you, just in general) always think they should just blame everyone and everything else because it is easy to do so... while winner spend time figuring out what need to be change. It takes a lot of hardwork and courage."

> So the winner ( I don't mean you, just in general ) has every right to change while the loser ( maybe me) has to submit to change ? Again, categorical job to Winner & Loser is decided by the ummh, mere human on pedestal ?

"However, I never say the road to success is always smooth and easy... it is a matter of fact, the road is full of pot holes and temptation.

Just look at our personal circumstances, are we better of now then 3 or 5 years ago? If yes, how to make it better? if not, why? Stop putting the blame game and grow up."

> The word 'blame' seems conveniently pull out from your sleeves like magic . Yes, there are circumstances we sail along but taking all generalise circumstances within one's own hand to resolve is irrelevant. 'Blame' is not my game , I think you are confuse by dignity to deny other's their perspective. Telling others to " Grow up " implies a top looking down preposition which further re-inforce my perception of a self guru-liazation in the making.

"We are constantly making a choice in life... what say you? Think and act like a LOSER or think and act like a WINNER? GO and look at yourself in the mirror and tell it to yourself what you want to do... the only person in the world that you need to answer to is yourself."

> That is exactly my earlier posts all about ! Some too many Newbies are seriously want only answer to themselves , never mind if family welfare is place behind. Why be theirs When I can be mine mine mine !

I don't advocate open business sharing doesn't mean I oppose others doing so. But I do noticed the Photography business needs to tone down further sharing for 2 main reasons:-

1) Supply has many folds gone beyond the demands

2) Seeding a desire of something that do not fit most is damaging to the career path of those already in the industry and self inflict to the person who might lost years of what he will be better off doing.

The extremists like the past you and me & everyone of the readers here who wanted so much to commit will knock doors, this group is the next generation of us & I will share with the right guy at personal level when he works for me.

Instead of looking into the mirror, I will advise staring straight at the real happening of the things revolving around you. Remember, viewing into the mirror reversed the real world when left becomes right.

BTW, I will not read Mark Twain if he so thought his wisdom needed to emphasized with substantial bold & upper cap.
    Last edited by Volks; 25th July 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Perhaps we can spend a few minutes listen to this video, it could shed some light on what are we discussing.

and please also read some of the comments of the same video posted in facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1380567602163660
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
    @ Agetan

Your opening paragraph resemble a once a friend-no-more selling toxic investment to people around him citing "I care" with successful sales closure. I might incorrectly read you, but let me lay out your words , and why I don't
    agree.

"I do what I believe, and I believe if people are arm with some basic knowledge, they should use it and think for themselves how to use it. BUT they have to think and process what they know and be honest with themselves."

> All self radicalized people think like that too.

"By all means, more than 90% of business fail, for various reason. Amongst a lot of them, the lack of drive and the ability to cope with changes for life. "

> Tell us something newer, this statement is so common sense.

"It is darn easy to sit on the fence and blame every single f***ing things that is wrong with everyone else (government, economy, blah blah blah), but never look at themselves and know the problem lies on themselves. People who just live in their self denial stage need to wake up. "

> Clearly you either have a limited understanding of the social politic or you do not want to understand what culminated the vocal dis-satisfactions of things beyond most ordinary citizen in this country . In the early years, vast pieces of land were nationally acquired. Many had to give up the land & skills that they were doing for most part of life, if not generations. Promises were made to care for many citizens affected, it is a social contract between our fathers & the establishment. The material exchange were pathetic - football size solid ground for a 3 roomer flat.

You are definitely a foreigner or ex in that term, absence from the SG building years. I've served 18 years of NS, with each call up of 40 days in the first 5 years, subsequent between 1 to 3 weeks. Imagine yourself pushed into the bush without communication to even direct your civilian business. 100s of opportunity were loss, but that's ok cos "I care".

"Sadly, photography isn't always about producing the best work nor the best equipment in order to survive in today's environment. It is more than that. Time has changed... the question is, can you keep up?"

> The paradoxical here is I am astonished but not surprise. Many has resorted to business man first , self Guru-liazation second and producing image last. No thanks, I am always into producing Best class imaging first , neck to neck with profitable business practices.

"I believe, ANYONE, can be successful in their own way IF and it is a big IF... they LEAVE THE NEGATIVITY on one side and CHANGE their MINDSET to think LONG TERM and start to be HONEST with themselves and work really really HARD to improve what they have. "

> Easy to utter such common sense in an uncontested environment

"Unfortunately, loser (I don't mean you, just in general) always think they should just blame everyone and everything else because it is easy to do so... while winner spend time figuring out what need to be change. It takes a lot of hardwork and courage."

> So the winner ( I don't mean you, just in general ) has every right to change while the loser ( maybe me) has to submit to change ? Again, categorical job to Winner & Loser is decided by the ummh, mere human on pedestal ?

"However, I never say the road to success is always smooth and easy... it is a matter of fact, the road is full of pot holes and temptation.

Just look at our personal circumstances, are we better of now then 3 or 5 years ago? If yes, how to make it better? if not, why? Stop putting the blame game and grow up."

> The word 'blame' seems conveniently pull out from your sleeves like magic . Yes, there are circumstances we sail along but taking all generalise circumstances within one's own hand to resolve is irrelevant. 'Blame' is not my game , I think you are confuse by dignity to deny other's their perspective. Telling others to " Grow up " implies a top looking down preposition which further re-inforce my perception of a self guru-liazation in the making.

"We are constantly making a choice in life... what say you? Think and act like a LOSER or think and act like a WINNER? GO and look at yourself in the mirror and tell it to yourself what you want to do... the only person in the world that you need to answer to is yourself."

> That is exactly my earlier posts all about ! Some too many Newbies are seriously want only answer to themselves , never mind if family welfare is place behind. Why be theirs When I can be mine mine mine !

I don't advocate open business sharing doesn't mean I oppose others doing so. But I do noticed the Photography business needs to tone down further sharing for 2 main reasons:-

1) Supply has many folds gone beyond the demands

2) Seeding a desire of something that do not fit most is damaging to the career path of those already in the industry and self inflict to the person who might lost years of what he will be better off doing.

The extremists like the past you and me & everyone of the readers here who wanted so much to commit will knock doors, this group is the next generation of us & I will share with the right guy at personal level when he works for me.

Instead of looking into the mirror, I will advise staring straight at the real happening of the things revolving around you. Remember, viewing into the mirror reversed the real world when left becomes right.

BTW, I will not read Mark Twain if he so thought his wisdom needed to emphasized with substantial bold & upper cap.
    I rest my case.

Can't please everyone. We do what we do and what we have to do.

Guys, sorry to borrow this thread.
    Can I know whether if I want to register my own studio name.
    How do I go about?
    Like say ABC studio, do I need to go to ACRA and register?

If you mean starting a business legally, the answer is yes. Regardless, of the structure of the business - sole proprietorship, private limited, etc - you will need to register with the registrar of business and conform to the regulations for all document and fees submission. Go find out more on ACRA website or talk to one of those service providers if you do not know how to start. There are many of such service providers at International Plaza (next to Tanjong Pagar MRT station).

Quote Originally Posted by 86proshooter View Post
    How do I go about?

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    If you mean starting a business legally, the answer is yes. Regardless, of the structure of the business - sole proprietorship, private limited, etc - you will need to register with the registrar of business and conform to the regulations for all document and fees submission. Go find out more on ACRA website or talk to one of those service providers if you do not know how to start. There are many of such service providers at International Plaza (next to Tanjong Pagar MRT station).
    Thanks, I think I need to speak with some consultants regarding this before I venture.
    I also need to prepared that photo business is quite competitive nowadays so I better be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by 86proshooter View Post
    How do I go about?
    The registration process is quite fuss-free, can be done entirely online.

If you're not afraid of a little reading, all the information you need is there:
    Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority Singapore
    http://www.bizfile.gov.sg/mybizfile/...ison_Chart.pdf
    ACRA - Information Brochures

If you don't wanna read, they have videos too:

via ACRA - Useful Information on Starting a Business
    Last edited by kandinsky; 28th July 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Haha. But TS. Pertaining ur qn. It really depend on your style of work. There is definately no a one style fit all photo business. *correct me if I'm wrong.*
    Before getting into business, you must see what you want to specialize? Potrait? Wedding? Sports? Event? Birthday? Studio?
    Then are you getting into a business as a sp, llp or pte ltd (Even stay as freelance) (Guess some1 mention this somewhere in cs also) then your client based can survive as a business ma.

Lots of factor to consider before going into the biz actually.

Again to your qn. I think what gear u use doesn't really matter. Is your style. Skill that matter. If you give a pro a 1100d or a powershot they will also be able to produce good photos.
    Cheers. All the best to your biz.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123