Thread: The Kitchen Table - W Hotel

Deregistered

Default The Kitchen Table - W Hotel

Some food photography pictures we took over last weekend at this breakfast buffet. We are still quite new to this and would love to hear any comments / suggestions!

Our full album is here.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7535380&type=1
    Last edited by anavrinsea; 15th July 2013 at 02:07 AM.

Default Re: The Kicthen Table - W Hotel

nice but if u could...spelling for Kitchen is Kitchen.

Deregistered

thanks, fixed!

ah good ol facebook compression.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    ah good ol facebook compression.
    Does it make the picture worse?

Your eyes are so sharp, amateurs like me can't tell haha...

Quote Originally Posted by anavrinsea View Post
    Does it make the picture worse?

Your eyes are so sharp, amateurs like me can't tell haha...
    looks a little fuzzy to me. you can try uploading to flickr and then comparing

Default Re: The Kitchen Table - W Hotel

Photography-wise its good. But food styling plays a big part in food photography too. One example in the waffle photo:

Quote Originally Posted by anavrinsea View Post

I personally that it'll be better to turn the waffle around and shoot the other "perfect" side instead of this side with the broken edges

Cheers

The second pics with the chicken feet.. look ewwww.

Personally like the 3rd photo best.

Since buffet is mostly about how a person fill up their own plate for photo taking unlike ala carte item where the chef will do it, i think i will comment on this area slightly more.

If you don't mind, here are some of my comments:

Photo 1: Composition can be improved rather than the egg is smacked in the middle. The background of the egg looks like some leftover gravy which do not help in making a photo nicer. Since it's a buffet, you may want to use a new plate. The egg white of the egg is burnt out, you may wan to post process it a little.

Photo 2: Personally don't like Chicken Claw, nothing to do with the photo. The type of cuisine is a little mixed up with salami, sashimi and dim sum. May want to put those dim sum on a smaller plate and shoot the 3 dim sum items.

Photo 3: A more well balanced photo with a variety of colors. The best photo among all. The only thing is the leftover soup(?) in the spoon on the right. Sorry if it's not.

Photo 4: As mentioned by photoart, probably should rotate the plate to show the nicer side of waffle.

Photo 5: Personally think that the cropping is too tight. I would put the cheese and the peach into the background on the left side of the salad so that the pastry can be the main subject. White balance is also a little blue due to the natural lighting coming in from the left. Can post process it a little and push up the yellow.
    Last edited by OoStarDustoO; 21st August 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Do take note of things which you can easily control, and which are often overlooked:

- the other items which get photographed too. Try your best to ensure that they complement your subject, rather than become a distraction to the viewer. If they're not necessary, remove them or crop/clone them away. e.g. part of a cup, plate, bowl

- placement of the food on the plate. try to ensure that it is placed neatly and that you photograph from the 'best' angle/side.