Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam


  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Audacious but I'm not too surprised considering Europe is never safe place for tourist, especially with the current high unemployment rate due to eurozone economic crisis.

    I was once victim of a group of pick pockets at Barcelona metro station in 2007.

    Rule of Thumb: Always be careful when a group of strangers get near you.

  3. #3

    Default

    Never feel safe when I was there..

    Especially the b**** in Paris trying to sell stuff to tourists.. They are really intimidating..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    I did not take out my 70-200mm while I was in St Petersburg early this year. It was in my backpack all the time.

    I did use my 35mm f1.4G though... We were super wary of crowds, etc. I think most of them will not target Asians because Asians are more Kiasi and careful... If a group like that came up to me, I will RUN off IMMEDIATELY holding on to my lens.

    I think Angmo make a better target?
    Last edited by dniwkh; 14th July 2013 at 07:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerS View Post
    Audacious but I'm not too surprised considering Europe is never safe place for tourist, especially with the current high unemployment rate due to eurozone economic crisis.
    Power your statement! Really appreciate your detailed analysis in terms of economy, social topics, crime statistics, human behavior and other aspects for an area of 10 million sq km with about 750 million people.
    Stay at home, Europe does not need such visitors.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    To me, it is a fake video and all are actors. Are real thieves so stupid that they operate in front of a video camera? So that the Russian police can pick them up later? You need to press to unlock and the turn the lens to remove.
    In a real theft/robbery the big group can knock him unconscious or stab him with a knife and steal all valuables. Not just the lens.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th July 2013 at 11:01 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    That lens looks so heavy! The man can't feel the difference in weight?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam ]
    In Malaysia a thief stole a camera from a photographer's lens.

    Apparently he used a kit lens that the thief didn't want.

  9. #9
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    In Malaysia a thief stole a camera from a photographer's lens.

    Apparently he used a kit lens that the thief didn't want.
    Bleh... Got thief stole diamond studded camera bag and left the content behind since it was an entry lvl camera and kit lens that the thief didn't want.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  10. #10
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    To me, it is a fake video and all are actors. Are real thieves so stupid that they operate in front of a video camera? So that the Russian police can pick them up later? You need to press to unlock and the turn the lens to remove.
    In a real theft/robbery the big group can knock him unconscious or stab him with a knife and steal all valuables. Not just the lens.
    may be it is real n it is to be use as teaching aid for the syndicate?

    better stick with my trusty LX3
    Last edited by denniskee; 15th July 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    I've heard a similar story. Also in Russia. Also a 70-200mm. But the guy had his lens grabbed from him in a bar.

    For once, I agree with the paranoia and think this footage is staged. Too perfect. Eveything and eveyone fell into the frame nicely.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    If Nikon lens so easy to dismounted, Nikon really need to look into this issue. But on the other hand, if you are well trained, it might be easy. Staged or not, just be careful when you are alone out in other countries. When I am inside a crowded area and taking photos, my wallet WOULDN'T be found in my back pocket but I not telling you where I place it.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    If Nikon lens so easy to dismounted, Nikon really need to look into this issue. But on the other hand, if you are well trained, it might be easy. Staged or not, just be careful when you are alone out in other countries. When I am inside a crowded area and taking photos, my wallet WOULDN'T be found in my back pocket but I not telling you where I place it.
    You not using wallet at all? Lol

  14. #14

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I've heard a similar story. Also in Russia. Also a 70-200mm. But the guy had his lens grabbed from him in a bar.

    For once, I agree with the paranoia and think this footage is staged. Too perfect. Eveything and eveyone fell into the frame nicely.
    I thought we have a resident case in Clubsnap. Almost exactly as shown in the video. Target 70-200mm, unscrewed from cam. I found the old thread when I was researching for my visit to St petersburg. I don't think it is staged. For someone in CS to get first hand experience, I guess they do it pretty often...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/trave...are-theft.html

  15. #15

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    To me, it is a fake video and all are actors. Are real thieves so stupid that they operate in front of a video camera? So that the Russian police can pick them up later? You need to press to unlock and the turn the lens to remove.
    In a real theft/robbery the big group can knock him unconscious or stab him with a knife and steal all valuables. Not just the lens.
    The video is real. It was taken by a dash cam on a parked bus. Dash cams are compulsory on vehicles in Russia so the video footage can be used in accident/insurance claims. Try googleing Russia dash cam crash. You'll be surprised.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    No lah, it is an enactment. The bus video cam is part of the whole setup.

    The 70-200 Nikkor weighs about 1.5 KG.

    The owner is bobbing around moving back and forwards and sideways.

    In order to steal the lens, the thief got to unlock by pressing the lock button on the Nikon body's left, and then turn the lens.

    Notice that in the enactment, this crucial portion (9 seconds into the video) is conveniently blocked by the boy in blue jacket.


    It cannot be done, that is why the producer of the fake video got to block it off.

    Once a 1.5 KG lens cantilevering off your camera body hung around your neck is removed, you will know it in a split second.


    Anyway, if in Russia there are 7 gangsters (including the one in the foreground with his back to the bus windscreen), they don't need to just steal the guy's lens. They will just stab him and steal his camera, lens, backpack, wallet+money+credit cards, passport, etc...
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th August 2013 at 03:36 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Its not impossible to do.. act of stealing is just an art of diversion.
    Its what other artist like magician do. There is even a scientific explanation for it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

    Notice that in the enactment, this crucial portion (9 seconds into the video) is conveniently blocked by the boy in blue jacket.
    The boy in the blue jacket is actually the wife of the man in the red jacket, and she can be heard yelling out "police police" at the end of the video.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    hi admin, -40 points for those who bump up old thread.
    Objection !!!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Thieves stealing a lens straight off a photographer's cam

    Not even four weeks since the original post and the thread is old? Wow, tough crowd. Glad I didn't bump a four year old thread...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •