Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Today, read the follow up news report on the Kovan murder and Asiana crash. The same thing from both incidents caught my attention. How do you know which is the fatal blow that terminated the lives of the victims? In the Kovan murder, the younger victim was slashed in the neck before being dragged under a car. Similiarly, in the Asiana crash, the girl was already ejected from the plane before being ran over by a rescue vehicle. How do forensic science determine which accident causes the actual death?


    "was slashed in the neck, was seen staggering out of the house and collapsing at the gate.

    The suspect then drove the older Tan's silver Toyota Camry, reversed into the son's body, and dragged it for about one kilometre before it was dislodged"

    extracted from - Kovan double murder: Suspect was on duty when victim made theft report - xinmsn News


    "One of those teenagers was hit on the runway by a fire truck, though it's not clear whether she was already dead when she was struck"

    extracted from - 3rd person dies from Asiana crash, hospital says - CNN.com


    note: Please do not discuss the 2 incidents other than my topic raised. I think we have read enough from the news on the tragic turn of events. Thanks in advanced.

  2. #2
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Autopsy loh.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Autopsy loh.
    I know autopsy. However, the timing of one injury is very close to the other. Both are equally fatal. How do the forensics determine the actual cause of death.

    And to bring the question a little bit further. If the victim ejected from the plane is already dead, then the rescue vehicle will absolve any responsibilties in the cause of death. But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?

  4. #4

    Default

    Please read detective Conan

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?
    That would depend on the actual legal framework and the circumstances.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I know autopsy. However, the timing of one injury is very close to the other. Both are equally fatal. How do the forensics determine the actual cause of death.
    Only someone such as medical examiners from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Forensic Medicine Division (FMD) in Singapore General Hospital (SGH) Block 9, Mortuary@HSA with experience and knowledge in autopsy and post-mortem examination can enlighten you on that though they are definitely able to gather a whole host of information from the slightest details as they said "dead people do tell tales". Meanwhile can check out the following links, especially this.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    And to bring the question a little bit further. If the victim ejected from the plane is already dead, then the rescue vehicle will absolve any responsibilties in the cause of death. But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?
    Good Samaritan law?

    When I was stationed at an aerodrome in America, they have some really cool looking Colet SVD Jaguars as Airport Emergency Service (AES) Crash Rescue Vehicles (CRVs), once they were activated and they just plough through inches thick of snow at 100 km/hr like nobody's business. Kind of shock to think of the amount of power they possess at that time since I wasn't expecting it.



    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  7. #7
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    San Mateo County Coroner, Robert J. Foucrault, confirms the cause of death for 16 years old Chinese female passenger in Asiana (AAR) Airlines Flight 214, Ye Mengyuan, as "consistent with being run over". It was determined through an autopsy that she was still alive prior to be struck by an Aircraft Rescue and FireFighting (ARFF) vehicle.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  8. #8
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    This one will be legal liao, for the Ye MengYuan case. how the judge is gonna rule.

    as for the others, autopsy lor

  9. #9

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    How do forensic science determine which accident causes the actual death?


    .
    after watching 600 over of episode, you will become an expert automatically .


    Objection !!!

  10. #10

    Default

    Since you're asking a photography forum and ask photographic enthusiasts who can only believe photos speaks everything, the answer to your question will be 'we will know by exmining the photos! '

    Of course, the next question will be which camera will give clearer evidence.

    ;-)
    Last edited by qystan; 21st July 2013 at 04:49 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    after watching 600 over of episode, you will become an expert automatically .


    yup. i became a Kenjutsu master from watching Rurouni Kenshin


  12. #12
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

    yup. i became a Kenjutsu master from watching Rurouni Kenshin
    I just watch Mighty Morphing Power Ranger. In English, easier to follow.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I just watch Mighty Morphing Power Ranger. In English, easier to follow.
    did you turn into her?




  14. #14
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I just watch Mighty Morphing Power Ranger. In English, easier to follow.
    go go power ranger


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    San Mateo County Coroner, Robert J. Foucrault, confirms the cause of death for 16 years old Chinese female passenger in Asiana (AAR) Airlines Flight 214, Ye Mengyuan, as "consistent with being run over". It was determined through an autopsy that she was still alive prior to be struck by an Aircraft Rescue and FireFighting (ARFF) vehicle.
    Interesting how they know that she is still alive prior to be ran over.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •