Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suicides In Singapore Reaches 20 Years High

Default Re: Suicides In Singapore Reaches 20 Years High

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    For starters, I never said that what you or your fellow workers experience isn't true, please re-read what I posted instead of just focusing on that one sentence. Could you kindly note the phrase: "I don't think you are unjustified in saying what you say", which essentially means that I don't think that your experience is skewed or untrue. Please do not put words in my mouth, when I haven't said that.

I'm just saying that you are going overboard by implicitly assuming that everyone who contributed to the higher suicide rate is like you. That's *probably* untrue. There are cases of people who just didn't get what they wanted in life, despite having it all (i.e. no human battery experience, definitely not having trouble having ends meet). There's no need to get upset over a simple statement like that. If it's untrue, then you can clarify by stating that you do agree with me that there ARE people who commit suicide for reasons beyond feeling "used" and finding life hard for financial reasons. But please do not lambast me by claiming that I am belittling your experience when I have not.

Anyways, I guess this short attempt to balance things a little and getting words thrown in my mouth is reminding me why I post less and less in KPT these days. Back to the picture threads I go.
    oops sorry my english not good lar
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Deleted.
    Last edited by qystan; 15th July 2013 at 09:52 AM.

This morning when I wake up I feel that there is no meaning in my life.

I feel like jumping out of the window, fly like a superman and kill myself 30 storeys below.

What saves me is I can't find a window that can be opened in my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    This morning when I wake up I feel that there is no meaning in my life.

I feel like jumping out of the window, fly like a superman and kill myself 30 storeys below.

What saves me is I can't find a window that can be opened in my apartment.
    go read jokes thread also la.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Somehow I find those who do hard labor are tough as nail, and less likely to commit suicide.

Look at the amount of construction workers. Amazingly, it's quite rare of them to jump off the building they are working in. It's definitely easier, since there's no locked windows, or doors to prevent them to do so.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Maybe they are already dead inside.

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorne907 View Post
    Darn.... that means few zombies smiled and greeted me this morning when I reached the site....

Gotta read Max Brooks' zombie survival guide in case next day it would be grinning teeth that greet me.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 15th July 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Somehow I find those who do hard labor are tough as nail, and less likely to commit suicide.

Look at the amount of construction workers. Amazingly, it's quite rare of them to jump off the building they are working in. It's definitely easier, since there's no locked windows, or doors to prevent them to do so.
    Not all chose to jump. Someone I know was said to tied a plastic bag around her face with nitrogen pumped through it. Sort of a cleaner and faster variant of the charcoal method.

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorne907 View Post
    Majority just chiong a few years here before returning to their families back home and enjoying life.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Majority just chiong a few years here before returning to their families back home and enjoying life.
    Migrant workers here work like hard labor for some time
    Go home got big house , enough capital for small biz, etc.

Sg residents work work work...even HDB is not truly "owned" by the occupant and the 'owner"...only 99 yr Lease hold only...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Blog Entries

It seems our young ones (the so called "strawberry generation") is destined to slog away their entire life in a never ending cycle of rat races right from the moment the day they are born.
    strawberry boys and girls know how to slog ???

EVERY generation has slogged
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

I'm not looking down on anybody, those are honest occupations.

But seriously, you can go try find one parent out there in Singapore (doesn't have to be a local) who is OK with their children being in any of what I had mentioned or even a construction crane operator, hawker or taxi driver as a career in their adulthood. Like I said, you'll only understand when you are a parent yourself.
    I am a parent of a 13 year old

All I can do is

1. provide an education as far as my child can make it locally
    2. teach my child proper moral values
    3. teach my child how to be independent and responsible for own actions
    4. pass on some life skills and advise
    5. maybe a little bit of money left over when I kaput

Thats ALL

If the above means my kid ends up at McDonalds, or KFC ..... I truly have no regrets or worries .... as long as the head is screwed on right and find a good life partner.

Why ?

If she ends up successful ...... that success and glory will be ALL HER OWN. I just plant the seeds and water it once in a while.

Talking about plants.... you can overfeed your plant(s) all the best fertilizer and water and shade from the sun...... it will grow tall, fat and very juicy ..... BUT once your plant gets no fertilizer, alot less moisture and exposed to the elements ..... under natural non-assisted living conditions..... it will DIE very quickly
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th July 2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

I am a parent of a 13 year old

All I can do is

1. provide an education as far as my child can make it locally
    2. teach my child proper moral values
    3. teach my child how to be independent and responsible for own actions
    4. pass on some life skills and advise
    5. maybe a little bit of money left over when I kaput

Thats ALL

If the above means my kid ends up at McDonalds, or KFC ..... I truly have no regrets or worries .... as long as the head is screwed on right and find a good life partner.

Why ?

If she ends up successful ...... that success and glory will be ALL HER OWN. I just plant the seeds and water it once in a while.

Talking about plants.... you can overfeed your plant(s) all the best fertilizer and water and shade from the sun...... it will grow tall, fat and very juicy ..... BUT once your plant gets no fertilizer, alot less moisture and exposed to the elements ..... under natural non-assisted living conditions..... it will DIE very quickly
    Amen to that
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th July 2013 at 07:34 PM.

I believe you may have misunderstood what I had mentioned, I was referring to having a proper childhood and not having to be stressed unneccesesarily either directly or indirectly by the "meritocratic" education system. Somethings just have to change but that is a seperate topic for another time.

strawberry boys and girls know how to slog ??? EVERY generation has slogged
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 16th July 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

sorry

I meant.... EVERY generation (including this) has slogged

And every generation has been called strawberry generation by the earlier older generation

My Great Grandpa called My grandpa's generation (immigrant generation) losers and cowards for running away from China. My Grandpa called my dad's generation a bunch of slackers and gangsters... my dad called my generation (70's) a bunch of hippies, drug addicts and softies.... and we call this younger generation strawberries ...... our children will likewise call the NEXT generation pansies etc etc etc ...... life ....... lolzzz !!
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th July 2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Sg residents work work work...even HDB is not truly "owned" by the occupant and the 'owner"...only 99 yr Lease hold only...
    Who can live beyond 99 years?

sorry

I meant.... EVERY generation (including this) has slogged

And every generation has been called strawberry generation by the earlier older generation

My Great Grandpa called My grandpa's generation (immigrant generation) losers and cowards for running away from China. My Grandpa called my dad's generation a bunch of slackers and gangsters... my dad called my generation a bunch of softies.... and we call this younger generation strawberries ...... our children will likewise call the NEXT generation pansies etc etc etc ...... life ....... lolzzz !!
    Which was exactly what I had said here previously. Don't blame me, I'm not the one constantly harping on "strawberry generation".
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Well we dont want the trade off to be declining suicides rate now since we are on our way to be top 20 suicidal country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Who can live beyond 99 years?
    The Okinawa diet

The Okinawa Diet May Be The Key To Longevity And Help You Live To 100-Years-Old

SG no chance. Delicious Char Kway Teow, Laksa, Pig Trotters, Kambing Soup, etc..... cannot reach 100 years.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 16th July 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Agree with everything being said excep the L lenses coz I really like the L lenses

Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    Many of the younger folks I know buy condos or ec the moment they get married. On top of that, they drive flashy cars and carry branded stuff. And then they complain that their employers are not paying them enough, and that thegahmen shd do something about this. It's obvious who's putting the stress on themselves and on the system. Imagine if one day ppl just be content and stop buying luxury goods and condos, the price will come down. Simple econs yet so many fail to understand and choose to be continually stuck in the pursuit of a perceived better life.

Our root problem is we always have to have it all and be one up on the joneses. Lens must be L or its lousy. Cars must be conti. Homes must come with a security guard and pool. My Kids must be smarter than other kids. And the list goes on. And yet we are not prepared to slog and not mentally strong enough to overcome challenges and emerge the stronger for it. We are diggin our own graves.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast