Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicides In Singapore Reaches 20 Years High

Default Re: Suicides In Singapore Reaches 20 Years High

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    btw can you help me out with my landscape photos?
    Sure, you can always PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Sure, you can always PM me.
    you're too kind

the only problem i have is waking up

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    poor thing. the stress level in SG is really high. Not only that, there are increases of mental illness. Thats why the government was doing more awareness campaign last year. But the msg was pushed to the public to take responsibility. Gahmen people just warn severe consequences if pace of life is slower... haha...
    With less locals, they can import more to replace. Many advantages, like companies running businesses, low head count.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

that's the problem with Singaporean society.

you chase everything, want everything, and kill yourself for it (not in the literal sense).

lots of articles have been written in the recent years highlighting that Singaporean society is moving to a trend where people put undue pressure on themselves to "work in an office in shenton way", "drive a posh car", "live in expensive property" and so much more, just because they want "face", "recognition" and "status".

it's time singaporeans wake up. stop putting pressure on yourself and your kids/relations just because you want to show off.

it's not worth it.

this is the underlying reason why people feel stressed.

time for some soul searching
    It is not up to us, we are being forced to chase. Else how to stay alive here.

Now I feels like human battery or machine n mostly likely will be discard or dispose off like rubbish once I don't make profits for those slave drivers. Soon I suspect there will be saying that why not pack n go elsewhere if living so miserable here, nothing or nobody is forcing me to stay. Already those in better living std has been saying this, just matter of time for the slave drivers to follow once they decided to switch businesses.

On a lighter note, why do people want to work in Shenton Way? I just want to know people in Shenton Way so that there's a slight chance that I can borrow their office to shoot views of Singapore.
    uhm.... some want a high floor in an iconic building to jump off from in a suicide bid....the way that certain buildings becomes famous for being the Suicide Central at various era of SG's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Show me one local example please.
    I believe you need to increase your circle of friends to believe. Nothing for me to proof , though I can introduce them to you, but who are you?

You mean we should not hang out with the so-called losers in this world?

Quote Originally Posted by greenieadi View Post
    I believe you need to increase your circle of friends to believe. Nothing for me to proof , though I can introduce them to you, but who are you?

very stress? please read kopitiam Jokes Thread. laugh a bit, live longer.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

Now I feels like human battery or machine n mostly likely will be discard or dispose off like rubbish once I don't make profits for those slave drivers. Soon I suspect there will be saying that why not pack n go elsewhere if living so miserable here, nothing or nobody is forcing me to stay. Already those in better living std has been saying this, just matter of time for the slave drivers to follow once they decided to switch businesses.
    No one forces you or puts a gun to your head or a knife to your throat. Don't tell me you depend on others to tell you how to live?

No one forces you or puts a gun to your head or a knife to your throat. Don't tell me you depend on others to tell you how to live?
    I like to see you say the same when you are a father, worrying about the future of your strawberry baby every single day. How they'll survive in a pragmatic world whereby those who can't keep up, gets left behind.

Or maybe, you have no problems with your kids flipping patties at MacDonald, brewing Frappuccino at Starbucks?
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 14th July 2013 at 04:49 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I like to see you say the same when you are a father, worrying about the future of your strawberry baby every single day. How they'll survive in a pragmatic world whereby those who can't keep up, gets left behind.

Or maybe, you have no problems with your kids flipping patties at MacDonald, brewing Frappuccino at Starbucks?
    That's the exact kind of comments that puts pressure on people. Sorry, i didn't know that you're such an elitist.

Thanks for looking down on the services industry

I believe that one has to have a certain baseline of affluence to not have to worry about things. By that, I don't mind being able to show off your spanking new condo with nice nice fittings to friends or to drive a loud noisy sports car around town.. After all, people have families, and you also want to have some amount of reassurance that you will be able to provide for them. But that's to do with having a sufficiently sized roof over your head (i.e. no 1 room flat for 5 people), and square meals everyday. Everyone has different dreams in life, but really, at the end of the day, we should take anything else as a bonus. Life becomes a lot simpler that way.

I also believe that poor people can be happy. But it's harder to be happy when your stomach is empty. By poor, of course, I mean the truly poor. Not the people who think they are poor because they had to stick to their iPad 1 and couldn't purchase the new iPad mini because they spent too much on that holiday in Japan last month.
    I don't believe it is that simple... as you said everyone has different dreams. Frankly, not many people in Singapore have issues in putting a roof over their heads and getting 3 simple meals a day....

It is all about the "Extras". Since we are all in clubsnap, it is about going to places to take pictures, buying a better lens, camera.

That's the exact kind of comments that puts pressure on people. Sorry, i didn't know that you're such an elitist.

I'm not looking down on anybody, those are honest occupations.

But seriously, you can go try find one parent out there in Singapore (doesn't have to be a local) who is OK with their children being in any of what I had mentioned or even a construction crane operator, hawker or taxi driver as a career in their adulthood. Like I said, you'll only understand when you are a parent yourself.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

May be u have not done any work (making ends meet) at the lower skill jobs. I have. U may be having it easy until now (I just assuming only lar). Let me tell u it is f-hard to make ends meet.

you're too kind

the only problem i have is waking up
    Oh.. Well, I can always drop you a call if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    But seriously, you can go try find one parent out there in Singapore (doesn't have to be a local) who is OK with their children being in any of what I had mentioned or even a construction crane operator, hawker or taxi driver as a career in their adulthood. Like I said, you'll only understand when you are a parent yourself.
    Will being the wife of a hawker work?

STOMP - Singapore Seen - Rich grad meets hawker: More S'porean girls OK with 'marrying down'

Oh fine, if you want a father-child thing, here's one...

Daniel's Food Diary The 23-year girl behind Wow Wow West

May be u have not done any work (making ends meet) at the lower skill jobs. I have. U may be having it easy until now (I just assuming only lar). Let me tell u it is f-hard to make ends meet.
    Dennis,

I don't think you are unjustified in saying what you say, but I do feel that there are too many assumptions being made and perhaps you are projecting your own experience onto many others out there. Like ricohflex has said, there aren't many details given in the report. I know you haven't said it directly but there *is* an assumption behind all of the post you have made - that anyone who has committed suicide (or most of them for that matter) are doing so because:

- They have been slave-driven at work
    - They are finding it hard to have ends meet

Life is hard for the lower-income households, that goes without saying - but labeling all of them as suicidal is also not correct to me, because I would like to think that there are many of them who have a lot more dignity that most people give them credit for. Cheers.

Dennis,

I don't think you are unjustified in saying what you say, but I do feel that there are too many assumptions being made and perhaps you are projecting your own experience onto many others out there. Like ricohflex has said, there aren't many details given in the report. I know you haven't said it directly but there *is* an assumption behind all of the post you have made - that anyone who has committed suicide (or most of them for that matter) are doing so because:

- They have been slave-driven at work
    - They are finding it hard to have ends meet

Life is hard for the lower-income households, that goes without saying - but labeling all of them as suicidal is also not correct to me, because I would like to think that there are many of them who have a lot more dignity that most people give them credit for. Cheers.
    my own projection from my own experience? they are the personal experience of my fellow workers as well as mine. but some may say, like they always do, it is because thats the circle of friends are of that "level".... normally those who says that are much well off people whose circle of friends also dont experience the f-hardship. but does that makes my friends & my own experience skewed or less true?

There is one more statistic that is not clear in the report.

How many attempted suicides have been successfully prevented by helpline organisations?
    Or the would-be suicidal person talked out of it?

What safety nets are they putting into place to improve the prevention?

Some suicidal persons shows signs of it. Sometimes the obvious suicidal signs are a silent cry for help.

Others do not reveal any outward signs, like the late Dr. Shane Todd.
    I think those who do not show it, are the ones who are determined and successful in their suicides.

South Korea, China and Japan are way ahead of SG in suicide rate. Probably society pressure and the old and sickly who do not want to be a burden to others.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th July 2013 at 11:44 PM.

my own projection from my own experience? they are the personal experience of my fellow workers as well as mine. but some may say, like they always do, it is because thats the circle of friends are of that "level".... normally those who says that are much well off people whose circle of friends also dont experience the f-hardship. but does that makes my friends & my own experience skewed or less true?
    For starters, I never said that what you or your fellow workers experience isn't true, please re-read what I posted instead of just focusing on that one sentence. Could you kindly note the phrase: "I don't think you are unjustified in saying what you say", which essentially means that I don't think that your experience is skewed or untrue. Please do not put words in my mouth, when I haven't said that.

I'm just saying that you are going overboard by implicitly assuming that everyone who contributed to the higher suicide rate is like you. That's *probably* untrue. There are cases of people who just didn't get what they wanted in life, despite having it all (i.e. no human battery experience, definitely not having trouble having ends meet). There's no need to get upset over a simple statement like that. If it's untrue, then you can clarify by stating that you do agree with me that there ARE people who commit suicide for reasons beyond feeling "used" and finding life hard for financial reasons. But please do not lambast me by claiming that I am belittling your experience when I have not.

Anyways, I guess this short attempt to balance things a little and getting words thrown in my mouth is reminding me why I post less and less in KPT these days. Back to the picture threads I go.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 15th July 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast